Amsterdam WC 2018: anyone still coughing?

janmcn

I wasn't the World cruise, but I was on the Zuiderdam over New Year's and didn't completely get rid of my cough until April. This cruise crud was long-lasting and lingering compared to other time I have come home with something from the cruise.

I’m curious if everyone hit with the Cruise Cough is over theirs. I’m still coughing as is my husband. My doc has one theory. Need to know if others still affected.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is your doc's theory? I get 'cabin cough' that can last a long time.

The doctor on the Amsterdam will tell you it can take as long as 6-8 weeks to recover from respiratory issues. On the 2017 WC they had an article on it pined to their wall. I had it for about 2 weeks.

I’m curious if everyone hit with the Cruise Cough is over theirs. I’m still coughing as is my husband. My doc has one theory. Need to know if others still affected.

Yep, DW is still coughing .. no fever etc .. just a hacking cough.

harry

Doctor thinks (absent all other evidence) that we could have minor cases of the “100 Day Cough” otherwise known as Whooping Cough. It starts like a cold, but even if suspected and treated with proper antibiotics, will still leave one with a cough that persists for...yup...100 days or so. Lungs clear, no fever, no other symptoms than a “paroxysmal” Cough.

We did not have a very recent adult booster DPT. The cough is not helped by any cough meds. I cough as much with them as without. Bouts getting less frequent but DH and I still cough. Take this info for what it’s worth...but as a Bacteriologist it makes sense....as much as any virus possibilities.

Doctor thinks (absent all other evidence) that we could have minor cases of the “100 Day Cough” otherwise known as Whooping Cough. It starts like a cold, but even if suspected and treated with proper antibiotics, will still leave one with a cough that persists for...yup...100 days or so. Lungs clear, no fever, no other symptoms than a “paroxysmal” Cough.

We did not have a very recent adult booster DPT. The cough is not helped by any cough meds. I cough as much with them as without. Bouts getting less frequent but DH and I still cough. Take this info for what it’s worth...but as a Bacteriologist it makes sense....as much as any virus possibilities.

I think you’ve left people speechless. (Not easy to do on CC). But it’s entirely logical.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hindsight is golden.

We have learned to pack good cough medicine to handle onboard coughs. Since we had it with us, last time we did not need to use cough medicine at all during our 57-day cruise. Once I did feel like using generic Airborne and a decongestant for a few days. And I drank orange juice each morning.

We count our blessings.

Barbara

I was on the full WC 2018 and fortunately never had any cough or cold problems on the cruise and none since. This is actually unusual for me as I usually come home with a cough an/or bronchitis on a cruise longer than 50 days.

I hope yours resolves sooner than expected, regardless of the underlying reasons.