Luggage Limit - End of Formal Night

Flash4me

As I pack for my trip this weekend on the Liberty, it occurs to me that airline luggage restrictions will soon put an end to Carnival's formal nights. Half of my suitcase is taken by my suit and dress shoes. It would be soooooo much easier to pack if I only had to worry about a few polo shirts, some shorts, and one or two dockers pants.

Complaining wives not with standing, I predict Carnival will have to go informal to help its customers. I will also predict this, 1) Carnival will like the change as it will also reduce their luggage count 2) men all over the country will be quietly relieved.

JMO.

Are you saying that it takes an entire suitcase for one suit? If one is seeking an excuse to avoid dressing up once or twice on a 7 day cruise, one might wish to build a more credible case than blaming the airline's baggage policy. On the other hand, it might go a long way toward convincing the better half, lol.

The new guidelines for dining are going to reduce our luggage to one bag each.

On previous cruises, my husband and I would each carry one suitcase (dividing our clothing between the two bags) and a separate garment bag that we would share for my formal gowns and his suits. With the new guidelines, we will not be taking the garment bag with us.

No second piece of luggage.

2 fancy diff colored bottoms, for you, 2 diff tops..the 3rd a convertable type one, ie: fancy halter top, to be worn w/lil blk jacket..6/7 pcs that take lass room than a gown!..1-2 prs fancy-er shoes..

The new guidelines for dining are going to reduce our luggage to one bag each.

On previous cruises, my husband and I would each carry one suitcase (dividing our clothing between the two bags) and a separate garment bag that we would share for my formal gowns and his suits. With the new guidelines, we will not be taking the garment bag with us.

No second piece of luggage.

The luggage limit is for one piece of CHECKED luggage; you are still allow one carry on and a purse or briefcase/laptop bag.

Must put in my 2C's. I HOPE THEY NEVER DO AWAY WITH FORMAL TYPE NIGHTS REGARDLESS WHAT THEY CALL THEM. :rolleyes: My DW and I really enjoy

dressing up sometimes for dinner. There is almost no place to enjoy a formal type dinner except on a cruise. We also like the formal photos and have a few from every cruise. Since we try to have a family cruise with children and grand children about every 3 years we believe it to be an excellent time for family photo (it is growing).:cool: A lesser reason but I think a good one is to see that all the younger children can see people at their best. Whether you believe it or not, people act best when dressed well and normally display their best manners. Would I stop taking cruises without formal type nights? No way, but I think it would definitely take away from the experience.:D

I don't get the comment about men all over the country being quietly relieved. Is it because they won't have to wear something decent to dinner? Or is it because you think they won't have to lug heavy suitcases....because I carry my own luggage. I don't make my husband carry everything. He carries his and I carry mine.

And I refuse to believe that formal wear takes up that much room in a suitcase. If I didn't bring formal wear, I would still take the same amount of luggage. :rolleyes:

Quick question about the luggage limit...If my DH and I are travelling together, we EACH get one piece of checked luggage, correct? So, for us, it would be 2 pieces of checked luggage with no charge (except for certain airlines)?? I just want to make sure I don't have to stuff all of our stuff in ONE suitcase...that would be a nightmare!

For us our formal wear goes in our garment bag. We each have our own suitcase plus 1 garment bag. This time the garment bag will stay at home because I refuse to pay for more then I have to for checked luggage. And no, the suit will not fit in the other luggage.

Now on the other hand if we don't fly this time we will bring our garment bag;)

To each his own......

Men can still rent formal wear from the ship. Until that is no longer an option, you can go as formal as you want and not look out of place....and save space in your suitcase. ;)

I would think it would cost three times as much to rent the tux as it would be to chack the garment bag.

Cruzfan34I don't get the comment about men all over the country being quietly relieved. Is it because they won't have to wear something decent to dinner?

That is correct.

Soon all the airlines will be out of business due to gross mismanagement. Then the cruise ships will travel up rivers to pick up passengers. And formal nights will be reinstated.........................

Dan

I agree with woodman. I'll pay extra for my luggage to carry formal wear. I enjoy dressing up and will continue to do so as long as I cruise. I won't mind a bit that others are dressed more casual.

Most people will spend over $2500 on a cruise vacation. I can't believe that adding $50. extra for luggage will stop many people wantinig to go on a cruise.

It won't make most stop cruising. But it will make them pack lighter which will lead to more casual wear.......especially on Carnival where they have changed to more of a casual atmosphere........

I agree with woodman. I'll pay extra for my luggage to carry formal wear. I enjoy dressing up and will continue to do so as long as I cruise. I won't mind a bit that others are dressed more casual.

Same here. Although I don't get to cruise often, I do so look forward to the very nice dinner, dressed up.

Last time I just packed the formal stuff and pressed it myself.

Most people will spend over $2500 on a cruise vacation. I can't believe that adding $50. extra for luggage will stop many people wantinig to go on a cruise.

It won't stop me from going on a cruise, but I will certainly rethink what I bring.

BTW, American is now charging for ANY checked luggage...$15 for the 1st piece, $25 for the second...and all the airlines are considering the same...

So if a family of 5 wants to check 2 pcs of luggage each, round trip, that will come out to $400 JUST FOR LUGGAGE.

Just saw in the paper this morning that US Air is going to start charging for the first piece of luggage also and $2 per soda on the flight.

Sure looks gloomy for the airline industry and for me taking future cruises.:(

Bill

and us air will also be charging $2.00 soda, coffee and water and $7.00 for a beer or a mixed drink. They've also added the $15 first bag charge and are now charging for window seats and aisle seats.

As I pack for my trip this weekend on the Liberty, it occurs to me that airline luggage restrictions will soon put an end to Carnival's formal nights. Half of my suitcase is taken by my suit and dress shoes. It would be soooooo much easier to pack if I only had to worry about a few polo shirts, some shorts, and one or two dockers pants.

Complaining wives not with standing, I predict Carnival will have to go informal to help its customers. I will also predict this, 1) Carnival will like the change as it will also reduce their luggage count 2) men all over the country will be quietly relieved.

JMO.

On our last cruise my dh's suitcase contained a suit, dress shoes, sandals as well as more than enough clothing to cover our 8 day cruise as well as 2 pre-cruise nights in a hotel. The heaviest suitcase was 43 pounds. It can be done~!

We will be cruising again in July and my two sons (20 & 22 will be joining us) Each will bring their suits one last time as I want formal pictures taken as a family. After that much to their delight I won't push the suit issue any longer. Dress shirt and tie along with dress pants is what they will be wearing.

The panic over restricted luggage and paying for luggage has gotten blown way out of proportion IMO. I plan on packing only what I need and if I have to pay $15 for a suitcase or even $30 for two then it is what it is. I may have to have a couple less drinks on the cruise or maybe use Priceline to get rock bottom hotel prices. There are ways to cut corners and the way the economy is headed it's a good time to cut as many of those corners as possible :) Those that complained that restricting luggage weight to 50 pounds was impossible found a way to reduce their luggage weight. Those that complained about paying for a second checked bag found a way to make it all fit into one bag. Amazing how it all becomes possible when the alternative is to get wacked with overweight bag fees, second bag fees etc. :)

Archived