Dress European? What's Appropraiate Dress?

GLOCKer

My husband and I spent two weeks in Paris a few years ago - we had an apartment in the Montmartre, and we shopped in the little markets, rode the Metro, tried to blend in as much as we could.

Of course, while we were there we did as much sightseeing as possible, and on the day we visited Napoleon's Tomb at Dome des Invalides, my husband had awakened with a very sore arch on one of his feet. The only shoes that felt comfortable were his white New Balance running shoes, which he had been avoiding wearing since we had arrived in the city.

Off we went for our day of sightseeing, and if you've ever been to the Dome des Invalides, you know that it is quite grand - lots of museum spaces in large buildings with balconies running along the sides, and lots and lots of people. Of course, with so much to see, it was inevitable we would lose track of each other, and we didn't have cell phones ... a lot of time passed, as I was looking from one room to the next to try to find my husband. In the worst case, we would have both had to return all the way to the Montmartre to reconnect, which would have been very inconvenient.

Finally, as a last resort, I went out on a balcony to look out over the courtyard - so many people milling about, but yes! There was one shining pair of WHITE shoes moving among the gray and black crowd. And it was my husband! We still joke about the day he wore the white shoes, and how much they really did stand out in Paris.

We are the same - we avoid trouble by blending . Dark walking shoes and socks or jacket . Docker style pants and sport shirt . No tennis shoes are warm - ups unless running. I carry a man bag (acceptable in most of Europe and Russia) for my camera until I need it . Ladies dress nice and wear heels or practical walking shoes . And don't draw attention by talking and laughing loud ! We have spent 30 + days in Russia "dressed local" and never encountered any major problems.

Thanks! I can tell you get where I'm coming from.

I appreciate the tips from everybody.

I asked a tour guide in Russia if there was a danger of the skin heads attacking me. She told me no, I looked Russian and they wouldn't bother with me.

Did you ask her when was the last time she saw a skinhead? Probably 6-8 years ago and not in the city center for much longer. There are fewer skinheads here than in any mid sized town in the US or England. They are a non-issue except in the rumors that persist. Skinheads are not popular with Russians since neo-****s are not tolerated after what they suffered by them.

Don't try to blend in, the effort will only make the fact that you are not local stand out more. Who cares how you dress, they do not expect you to follow the dress customs of their area since it is obvious 100 meters away that you are a short time visitor. If anything locals will be more mindful of looking out for you.

Dress appropriately for the occasion. In this case, it is vacation and casual. You are living out of a suitcase and it would be impractical to dress like locals. How many women really want to walk 5 miles a day on tours wearing spike 10cm heels on decomposed granite pathways, cobblestones or on garden trails while ***** vacation? Young Russian women regularly do, but even they are getting more casual instead of their normal mode of perfect grooming, not a hair out of place and matching accessories....to stroll the park. It is part of the culture.

If you are more comfortable in shorts, even a brightly colored tropical shirt, as long as it feels good on, people will notice that you are comfortable and be favorably inclined towards you. The one trait that is not understood is the big smile in situations that are not humorous or where there are friends around. That is something that Americans learned in the 1930s from movies and it became a trademark. Much of the world however is suspicious of it even if they were exposed to the same movies.

10 years ago, men did not wear shorts in St Petersburg. Now it is common for young people. Women can and do wear anything as long as it is attractive from shorts to sequined party dresses and tall heels on a mid day stroll in the park. You see it all and no one is judgmental about it. You can't over dress in St Petersburg. St Petersburg and Moscow are cities that tend to let people have their own space and accept just about anything others do.

So, dress comfortably, you are going to be really running from 6am to 11pm the first day if you have a tour and evening program. Wear comfortable well broken in walking shoes, preferably not soft soled athletic shoes because the cobble stones will beat up your feet if you do not have decent support.

Wear layers, so you can adjust to the change in weather that naturally occurs from the chilly morning through the mid day higher temperatures to rain or wind, and into full sun evening.

There is at least one very valid reason to "not dress like an American": con artists and pickpockets target Americans because they know that Americans typically carry a lot of cash and credit cards, and often wear valuable jewelry. So first, don't do those things. Of course, we need to have money and credit cards, but please wear a money belt.

So what gives us away as Americans? Baseball caps, T-shirts and sweatshirts with sports logos, white sneakers, capri pants, pique cotton polo shirts and khaki pants are all major giveaways. And of course walking around with bags containing your cruise line's logo!

What helps you blend in? For ladies, first and foremost, throw a scarf around your neck! Don't wear a lot of face makeup and keep your eye makeup simple and soft. For men, wear a long-sleeved shirt (if it's warm out, just roll up the sleeves) and do not wear a baseball cap.

My DH and I always try to look like we "fit in", and I am proud that in several cities in France, Spain and Italy, the locals would begin to speak to us in the native language. In Barcelona, many Americans came up to me, and in high school Spanish, would ask for directions. It was actually funny.

The one thing I try not to do is talk loudly. I'm a Queens nyc girl and I recall work on that. Also I wear European brand shoes. One time someone once asked me if I was Dutch. Otherwise once in Barcelona and a couple of times in Paris pick pockets tried to get me. But since I'm paranoid OCD there really wasn't any thing to get any how

On our first trip to Europe, I worried about dress because I read that Europeans didn't wear jeans as much, no tennis shoes, etc. However, once over there (Rome, Venice, Paris, etc), I saw lots of people in jeans. So I wore jeans with tennis shoes (not white, but still athletic shoes) and didn't worry about what I was wearing...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is at least one very valid reason to "not dress like an American": con artists and pickpockets target Americans because they know that Americans typically carry a lot of cash and credit cards, and often wear valuable jewelry. So first, don't do those things. Of course, we need to have money and credit cards, but please wear a money belt.

That is not really true, pickpockets pick those who are least risky to target, with open purses, purses slung over the same shoulder that is is carried, and the most sought, distracted people with wallets in rear pockets where our nerve concentration is less than other parts of the body. A ripe target makes themselves that way and it has nothing to do with nationality. Besides pick-pockets know a lot more about relative wealth and spending habits than tourist. Americans are not as loose with money or having a lot on them, in fact less than other nationalities. Credit cards are almost replacing cash in most European and especially Scandinavia. They are more secure in those areas because of better security technology(chip and pin is required almost everywhere so many of the US cards do not even work).

There is this persistent impression in the US that average people are wealthier than other countries and that was true 30-40 years ago but the balance has shifted a great deal. The median net worth of families in every Baltic region, including Russia is higher than the US, where it is only $38k. Australians enjoy $188k median net worth. The middle class is very wide spread in all the Baltic countries whereas it is declining in the US in proportion of the total population.

All the countries visited on this cruise have very little poverty, homelessness and have strong social safety nets, public education and medical services, so for some, it would be a wake up call about perceptions.

The way to not be targeted is avoiding dense crowds, not having an easy target(rear pocket wallet, loose hanging purse off same shoulder, and being next to someone who is an easy target. If your guide is good, they will see and avoid things that could be trouble without you ever knowing about it.

The one thing I try not to do is talk loudly. I'm a Queens nyc girl and I recall work on that. Also I wear European brand shoes. One time someone once asked me if I was Dutch. Otherwise once in Barcelona and a couple of times in Paris pick pockets tried to get me. But since I'm paranoid OCD there really wasn't any thing to get any how

I would not be too concerned with how you speak, it can be an ice-breaker that leads to interesting conversations. You are not going to be around many locals who are not involved in the tourist industry in most of the ports. The locals are used to having more visitors during the summer than locals in the historic areas. Paris is an extreme example, if you look out on the street during high season, and watch people, the odds are high that most are tourists. The number of visitors during main tourist season in the city at any given time exceeds the entire population of the city including the suburbs. If you are in the city center of St Petersburg in the summer, most people you see are visitors. You would have to be in an area away from the tourist attractions to get a glimpse of, or interact with, locals. Late at night young locals dominate the scene however and it is a great time to meet people since the young people tend to speak foreign languages, are curious about the entire world and are born travelers who take off to new regions of Europe, Asia and any place else they get a visa to.

There is at least one very valid reason to "not dress like an American": con artists and pickpockets target Americans

No, they choose easy targets. If someone leaves his wallet in his back-pocket or flashes expensive accessories around without paying attention to her purse, they're going to target that person regardless of perceived nationality.

In fact, I've had more Indian friends than Americans lose things to pickpockets in Europe because they're naturally trusting, while my American friends tend to be more paranoid.

The key is simply to keep your valuable protected, be aware of your surroundings, and avoid risky situations. The pickpocket will go after the well-dressed woman who sets down her handbag to fix her hair, rather than the American tourist in sneakers wearing a cross-body purse and keeping one hand on it while she's walking down the street.

In Europe, I would avoid wearing shorts and printed T-shirts. Jeans and sneakers (for comfort) are fine. Khakis would be fine too. If you need to wear a hat for sun protection, try to find something besides a baseball hat.

In Europe, I would avoid wearing shorts and printed T-shirts. Jeans and sneakers (for comfort) are fine. Khakis would be fine too. If you need to wear a hat for sun protection, try to find something besides a baseball hat.

Why? If the weather allows it most other will also be wearing shorts/skirts so I can't see what the problem is.

Maybe someone would think that its bad taste but they will never tell it straight up your face so why bother.

But seriously, this topic is kind of irrelevant.

I have never adjusted my suitcase when visiting Hungary, Spain, Netherlands, England etc and I don't plan on it if I ever got the chance to visit the US.

And the thing about sports team logos are silly because you will see many people wearing their local soccer team jerseys.

Especially Manchester United, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Barcelona jerseys among with the local FC København Brøndby IF and various national team jerseys will be seen throughout the day by both locals and tourists.

Also over here the Yankees cap is very popular even though they don't follow baseball at all because its a very popular NYC souvenir.

Plus the NFL is getting more popular so Giants, Vikings, Patriots, etc caps/shirts is also in worn by local people.

All in all don't give a f... about what other people think.

Only exception is please don't walk around in your beach gear if its very warm unless you are heading for the beach.

Shorts are very much okay but not alone and older Danish men has a bad habit of walking around with their Hawaii type shirt open when its warm, keep that at home in your garden. :D

And if you head for the beach for some odd reason please don't wear Speedo's, that's only ze Germans that does that and its not a pretty sight.

And dress accordingly when visiting religious and cultural sights but that's a no brainer.

But seriously, this topic is kind of irrelevant.

I have never adjusted my suitcase when visiting Hungary, Spain, Netherlands, England etc and I don't plan on it if I ever got the chance to visit the US.

And if you head for the beach for some odd reason please don't wear Speedo's, that's only ze Germans that does that and its not a pretty sight.

And dress accordingly when visiting religious and cultural sights but that's a no brainer.

I've pared down your post a little for quoting purposes, I hope you don't mind.

For me, the topic is VERY relevant. I am a VERY security conscious individual. Anything I can do to heighten my wife and I's security is what I'm aiming for. I hate sounding like a paranoid idiot, but it's a part od what I do for a living and as a result, hyper vigilance is how I live my life.

As for the Speedo's; oh Lord! It reminds me of a trip I took to Germany and the Netherlands. It was quite interesting! LOL

And of course, only respect for religious institutions.

I've always worn what I had in my closet around Europe - never had a problem. But then my favorite colors are black and grey. I totally understand (and agree) that one should be security-conscious wherever you travel and take common sense precautions - but you're on vacation, too - so have a good time (just leave the muumuu at home). :D

For me, the topic is VERY relevant. I am a VERY security conscious individual. Anything I can do to heighten my wife and I's security is what I'm aiming for. I hate sounding like a paranoid idiot, but it's a part od what I do for a living and as a result, hyper vigilance is how I live my life.

Oy vay! If you truly are that security conscious because you are "in the biz" then you don't need to rile everyone up with this, IMO, irrelevant topic because you should already know the safety basics. FYI, Canadians in Toronto dress differently from Canadians in Vancouver and those in Calgary. Are people to bring different wardrobes for each city they go to in Europe as well?

Pickpockets and thieves target vulnerable-looking people who are easy prey (as mentioned above, open purses, unattended belongings, etc.) We have people of all nationalities living in our city and we can still tell the ones who live here from the ones who are visiting, even if they are wearing the same kinds of clothes and have the same heritage.

You want to be safe? Keep your stuff close to you and be aware of your surroundings. Personally, I don't really care what you are wearing, but please try not to bring all your luggage onto our public transit at rush hour or stand in the middle of the sidewalks when we are all trying to get to work. I apologize if this sounds a bit hostile. I just find this whole "blend in with the locals" stuff ridiculous.

I've always worn what I had in my closet around Europe - never had a problem. But then my favorite colors are black and grey. I totally understand (and agree) that one should be security-conscious wherever you travel and take common sense precautions - but you're on vacation, too - so have a good time (just leave the muumuu at home). :D

CHECK. No muumuu. :(

LOL

Those who find the question "irrelevant" should just move on to what they find to be "relevant" questions and not bother with smug know-it-all responses. I posted earlier that worry over dress as a tourist is not a matter of great concern to me, but I did not mean to imply in the least that the issue is not worthy of exchange and discussion. I am a little put off by the rude and dismissive manner of some responses. Just a little vent on my part about this tendency of some people.

Most European men (at least those over 35 or 40 years of age) do not wear shorts unless they're at the beach. It's considered to be in poor taste.

Oh no! Someone needs to tell the Norwegians! :eek: I guess since Norway isn't part of the EU, they didn't get the memo on this!

;)

Europeans also wear hairstyles and make up that are more chic than North Americans. I'm just saying, if you want to be a savvy traveller then be savvy - keep your money, etc. in a safe place and your camera and purses close to you and be aware of your surroundings. If you think wearing dark jeans and a grey shirt gives you some kind of invisibility then go ahead. But at the same time, please have some self awareness.

To you Danes and Norwegians.....I can't wait to come and meet you. You sound like a fun bunch. We'll get there....maybe next year?

Those who find the question "irrelevant" should just move on to what they find to be "relevant" questions and not bother with smug know-it-all responses. I posted earlier that worry over dress as a tourist is not a matter of great concern to me, but I did not mean to imply in the least that the issue is not worthy of exchange and discussion. I am a little put off by the rude and dismissive manner of some responses. Just a little vent on my part about this tendency of some people.

I was not trying to be rude, maybe my bad English skills made it look like that.

My point is that no one will come up to you on the street and give remarks and style points for your clothing.

So if I was the OP I would stop worrying about the close and wear what he/she feels comfortable.

If its white trainers then its white trainers and long shorts and knickers are okay to walk in on the streets on hot days.

Europeans also wear hairstyles and make up that are more chic than North Americans. I'm just saying, if you want to be a savvy traveller then be savvy - keep your money, etc. in a safe place and your camera and purses close to you and be aware of your surroundings. If you think wearing dark jeans and a grey shirt gives you some kind of invisibility then go ahead. But at the same time, please have some self awareness.

To you Danes and Norwegians.....I can't wait to come and meet you. You sound like a fun bunch. We'll get there....maybe next year?

You are most welcome :D