Which Beach did you go to?

kayjay76

Both beaches are beautiful -

Coki Beach is in a much smaller bay and so tends to be more crowded. The vibe there is more lively as a result, and the many vendors there add to that.

Sapphire is home to 3 condo properties and you have access to the beach area around the Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina property. Beautiful Bill is one of the owners there and can give you much more information than I. But the vibe is generally much more tranquil as there are no vendors and there is room to spread out either in a sunny spot by the dive center or under the trees in front of the condos. There are a couple restaurant options there and runners do take orders on the beach too. Nice island views and water colors.

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Our favorite was Coki until we stayed at the SBRM and "discovered" Sapphire, now that's our go-to beach on STT along with Hull Bay when we want something different.

Blue Water

Do you snorkel and if so what are your thoughts on the snorkeling at Coki or Sapphire?

We snorkel just a little so I'm not a good source for that. Many friends and people we've met consider Sapphire the best with the coral and the seagrass areas, while others prefer Coki and Lindqvist Beach (Smith Bay Park).

Mitsugirly is a frequent cruiser and a major cruisecritic poster and has tons of cruise reports and pictures if you want to look at her reviews. You'll find many rave reviews on the snorkeling at Sapphire on the St Thomas forum on tripadvisor.

And of course taking one of the excellent daysails to the cays off St John is also a great snorkeling option.

But do check with others with more experience. Beautiful Bill is an owner at Sapphire and can offer much better insight on Sapphire as well.

We snorkel just a little so I'm not a good source for that. Many friends and people we've met consider Sapphire the best with the coral and the seagrass areas, while others prefer Coki and Lindqvist Beach (Smith Bay Park).

Mitsugirly is a frequent cruiser and a major cruisecritic poster and has tons of cruise reports and pictures if you want to look at her reviews. You'll find many rave reviews on the snorkeling at Sapphire on the St Thomas forum on tripadvisor.

And of course taking one of the excellent daysails to the cays off St John is also a great snorkeling option.

But do check with others with more experience. Beautiful Bill is an owner at Sapphire and can offer much better insight on Sapphire as well.

Thanks Blue Water. I have read most of those reports you refer to including Mitsugirly's photos reviews and the photo reviews on trip advisor. Though St. John looks great, I think I prefer to avoid the ferry situation for our one day in port. Most of what I have read on St. Thomas snorkeling leans me toward Coki at this point. What I really enjoy is great coral formations and varied sealife.

Yes it's hard to pick one as some folks felt Coki was a waste of their time while some loved it. Guess you really have to experience these places yourself to know. And of course conditions can vary from one day to the next.

Coki and Sapphire are a short taxi away from one another if you have time to try both without too much moving around.

For STJ I was thinking more about the independent daysails like High Pockets or Yacht Nightwind. we haven't taken either but have read rave reviews for both. We did take the New Horizons out of Sapphire Marina while staying there which is a 65' sloop if I remember and that was a fun day. Snorkel stops off Honeymoon Beach and Great St James, they're out from 10 - 4 and very inexpensive if interested.

But enjoy your time whatever option you choose!

Edited by blue_water
typos!

Yes it's hard to pick one as some folks felt Coki was a waste of their time while some loved it. Guess you really have to experience these places yourself to know. And of course conditions can vary from one day to the next.

Coki and Sapphire are a short taxi away from one another if you have time to try both without too much moving around.

For STJ I was thinking more about the independent daysails like High Pockets or Yacht Nightwind. we haven't taken either but have read rave reviews for both. We did take the New Horizons out of Sapphire Marina while staying there which is a 65' sloop if I remember and that was a fun day. Snorkel stops off Honeymoon Beach and Great St James, they're out from 10 - 4 and very inexpensive if interested.

But enjoy your time whatever option you choose!

Thanks! So many options to consider! :)

Both beaches are beautiful -

Coki Beach is in a much smaller bay and so tends to be more crowded. The vibe there is more lively as a result, and the many vendors there add to that.

Sapphire is home to 3 condo properties and you have access to the beach area around the Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina property. Beautiful Bill is one of the owners there and can give you much more information than I. But the vibe is generally much more tranquil as there are no vendors and there is room to spread out either in a sunny spot by the dive center or under the trees in front of the condos. There are a couple restaurant options there and runners do take orders on the beach too. Nice island views and water colors.

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Our favorite was Coki until we stayed at the SBRM and "discovered" Sapphire, now that's our go-to beach on STT along with Hull Bay when we want something different.

Hi Blue Water.

We are thinking of sapphire. I love the sun, but I rather have my son under the shade when we are just sitting around. Is it set up to where, he can be under the trees and I can be next to him in the sun?

Hi Blue Water.

We are thinking of sapphire. I love the sun, but I rather have my son under the shade when we are just sitting around. Is it set up to where, he can be under the trees and I can be next to him in the sun?

Yes, you can see where there are shady and sunny spots in the webcam.

We will be on Carnival Fascination. Which is closer for us, Sapphire or Emerald? It is our first time in St. Thomas. Restrooms are a must. Thanks for help!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Lindbergh Bay is about 7km/20 minutes, Sapphire about 10km, 25 min. Take your pick based on the experience you want, tons and tons of info here on both.

Edited by blue_water

Hi everyone!

For recent cruisers ( the last 3 months) What St Thomas beach did you go to? And also what did you like and not like about that beach? Ex crowded, bathrooms, soft sand, great drinks, chair rentals, no drinks or food or justa bout anything you liked and didn't like.

Thanks all!!!

I'm not sure what being there in the last 3 months have to do with anything. They really don't change too much over time. We have been to several beaches and had wonderful times at all of them.

If you are looking for a beach to go to...you can check out any of my reviews in my signature line for the ones that we have been to. They are very PICTURE HEAVY. So, they will give you a good idea of what they are like.

We love the beach and we love to snorkel. So, we "try" to base our decisions on snorkeling areas with a beautiful beach as well. :)

I'm not sure what being there in the last 3 months have to do with anything. They really don't change too much over time. We have been to several beaches and had wonderful times at all of them.

If you are looking for a beach to go to...you can check out any of my reviews in my signature line for the ones that we have been to. They are very PICTURE HEAVY. So, they will give you a good idea of what they are like.

We love the beach and we love to snorkel. So, we "try" to base our decisions on snorkeling areas with a beautiful beach as well. :)

You!!! I read your reviews I think awhile and back and that's why I was looking at smith park and sapphire!!! Outstanding pictures and review!!!! We'll be renting a jeep and heading to both of these beaches.

You!!! I read your reviews I think awhile and back and that's why I was looking at smith park and sapphire!!! Outstanding pictures and review!!!! We'll be renting a jeep and heading to both of these beaches.

:D Lucky you! Sapphire is absolutely gorgeous and so it Linquist! Enjoy your day!!! :)

Yes you walk through right onto the beach. If you dock at Havensight this beach is a long drive. You go past the downtown area. RCCL is docking now at crown bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

First, do you know if Magen's Bay Beach is considerd an East End beach?

and

Is Paradise Point closer to Crown Bay or Haversight?

In other words, we are going Royal Carribbean . . which I see you mention now docks at Crown Bay. First planning on going to Magen's Bay (we get in at 8:00am and be back on board 4:00 pm) and then hit Paradise Point. Is this a geographically good plan?

sunshinechgo is correct in that Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is a shorter taxi from Crown Bay than the East End beaches like Coki, Sapphire, Lindqvist, and Secret Harbor. But be aware that Lindbergh is nothing like Sapphire, and in our opinion Sapphire is definitely worth the $11 or $12pp and 25 min taxi. But if you want a nice beach close to Crown Bay (you are docking at Crown I take it?) Lindbergh is certainly more convenient.

The Emerald Beach Resort has a restaurant and beach bar and nice restrooms, and you can rent chairs from a vendor on the beach. No pool or other facility access for day visitors unless you rent a room for the day which is pricey. Island Beachcomber is another hotel on the beach and also has a beach bar and a bit more casual vibe. You will just not find the same beach, water, and island views that Sapphire offers but a fine beach to relax at. The jets at the nearby airport aren't too bothersome for most folks.

If you go to an East End beach you could hit Paradise Point on the way back, but you would need to budget your time for that and then taxi back to Crown.

Good luck! :)

Could you please help me blue_water?

I need someone with some geographical insight to help me choose between two beaches (Magen's or Emerald) since we will be docking at Crown Bay and want to go to the beach and then on the way back to the ship want to go to Paradise Point. We get in at 8:00 am and have to be on board at 4:00 pm so I know due to the skylift schedule we wouldn't be able to do that before the beach.

How do I keep from zig zagging over the Island?

Thank you.

J

Yes Magens Bay is to the north and Paradise Point is to the east of Charlotte Amalie and close to Havensight. So PP is out of your way and you'd need to allow time to taxi to the tram or to the top. The East End beaches include Coki, Lindqvist, Sapphire Secret Harbor, and Cowpet and you can see these on the east end of the island on this map, just click on it -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

Yes Lindbergh Bay is very convenient to Crown Bay. I personally can't compare it to Sapphire or other East End beaches, but it is a nice beach, and we like the Island Beachcomber.

Really can't go wrong with any of them if you just want a few hours on a beach...If sticking close to Crown Bay, Brewers Bay would be our choice, but for a first-timer Lindbergh (aka Emerald) is easy.

sunshinechgo and blue_water

Thank you so much. Sorry I pulled the trigger sooner than I should have. Indeed it took me a couple hours of map comparing to come to the same results but confirmation helps.

Sunshinechgo

you mention how good it is to love St. Thomas "again". I'd love to hear more. Also what can you tell me about Emerald Beach.

This will be our first port of call and as such my husband and I make it a rule that we need an entire beach day so even though RCC has a very reasonable excursion to Sapphire Beach we won't join it because we don't want to be in a bus for untold time when we'd rather have the sun in our faces and feet in the sand.

to blue_water

Even though this is our first time to all four of the ports I always keep a running list of what I will do in these places another time around. It'll be our 5th time in Cozumel when next we go and I still have ideas. So all my research (thanks to your help) means I have everything I need for a visit to Sapphire Beach next time. I do regret that because of our port we won't be able to hit PARADISE POINT either.

I began to hate st Thomas and the beach. Since we docked in a new place- thanks cruise critic posters for letting me know. I researched and saw Emerald Beach was very close. The beach was very clean and the water was beautiful and clear. Cleaner than Sapphire has been in the past few years. Nieces went paddle boarding. Water was calm. You can get drinks and food there. We go to the beach in the am. Leave the ship by 9:15 and usually head back between 12:30-1 for lunch.

This will be our first port of call and as such my husband and I make it a rule that we need an entire beach day so even though RCC has a very reasonable excursion to Sapphire Beach we won't join it because we don't want to be in a bus for untold time when we'd rather have the sun in our faces and feet in the sand.

Yes we would never recommend joining a tour - through the cruise line or an independent - if you are looking for a nice long beach day. The taxi system is extremely efficient and in my opinion affordable, unless you are a large family perhaps. Save PP for a future cruise (or land vacation ;)) and just enjoy one of the beautiful beaches for your beach day this visit. You don't want to be moving around and limit your beach time, especially if the weather is nice. :)

You are now comparing Lindbergh Bay to Brewer's Bay and we would choose Brewer's but you may want more of the beach club experience available at Lindbergh.

For others we (and many others) would recommend one of these two options for a gorgeous beach for a couple to enjoy - yes the taxi is another 20 minutes versus Lindbergh Bay, and Lindbergh is a favorite to many who dock at Crown because of the convenience. But for that gorgeous beach experience consider one of these options -

1) Stop at Gourmet Gallery next to the dock and pick up a cooler with ice, your favorite drinks, and something from their excellent deli and taxi to Smith Bay Park and enjoy what is arguably the most beautiful beach you've experienced.

2) Taxi to Sapphire and grab a spot in a nice, shaded area and let the runners wait on you while you enjoy the gorgeous sapphire-colored water and the beautiful island views.

Again you really cannot go wrong, it's just a matter of whether convenience overrides the experience.

Yes we would never recommend joining a tour - through the cruise line or an independent - if you are looking for a nice long beach day. The taxi system is extremely efficient and in my opinion affordable, unless you are a large family perhaps. Save PP for a future cruise (or land vacation ;)) and just enjoy one of the beautiful beaches for your beach day this visit. You don't want to be moving around and limit your beach time, especially if the weather is nice. :)

You are now comparing Lindbergh Bay to Brewer's Bay and we would choose Brewer's but you may want more of the beach club experience available at Lindbergh.

For others we (and many others) would recommend one of these two options for a gorgeous beach for a couple to enjoy - yes the taxi is another 20 minutes versus Lindbergh Bay, and Lindbergh is a favorite to many who dock at Crown because of the convenience. But for that gorgeous beach experience consider one of these options -

1) Stop at Gourmet Gallery next to the dock and pick up a cooler with ice, your favorite drinks, and something from their excellent deli and taxi to Smith Bay Park and enjoy what is arguably the most beautiful beach you've experienced.

2) Taxi to Sapphire and grab a spot in a nice, shaded area and let the runners wait on you while you enjoy the gorgeous sapphire-colored water and the beautiful island views.

Again you really cannot go wrong, it's just a matter of whether convenience overrides the experience.

You made the choice really clear because we aren't so much into the beach club environment but beautiful beaches Thank you.

I began to hate st Thomas and the beach. The beach was very clean and the water was beautiful and clear. Cleaner than Sapphire has been in the past few years.

If you are referring to the seaweed that was so heavy over the past 2 - 2.5 years, most of the beaches throughout the Caribbean were heavily impacted by the extreme sargassum situation. It was the worst we've seen in our years of traveling the Carib. That has since passed and beaches are getting back to normal. But other than that Sapphire has nice, soft sand and clear water with beautiful colors.

Just don't want folks who haven't been to Sapphire think it's not a nice, clean beach. There are always a few day visitors who leave their area on the beach or the restroom dirtier than they found it and that is a shame. The Emerald Beach Hotel restrooms are very nice, but we've seen them trashed as well...just no consideration for others.:rolleyes:

You made the choice really clear because we aren't so much into the beach club environment but beautiful beaches Thank you.

We spent the day at Smith aka Lindqvist and found it unbelievably beautiful. Will be headed there again in November.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If you want to go to beaches that don't have food and drinks, please consider bringing your own collapsible cooler or buy an insulated bag here that is easy for you to take with you on your travels.

The styrofoam coolers are not good for the environment, especially on small islands. The VI generates 3 times the trash of average statesider and some of that trash is generated by visitors, I'm sure.

If you want to go to beaches that don't have food and drinks, please consider bringing your own collapsible cooler or buy an insulated bag here that is easy for you to take with you on your travels.

The styrofoam coolers are not good for the environment, especially on small islands. The VI generates 3 times the trash of average statesider and some of that trash is generated by visitors, I'm sure.

Excellent point!