Trying to figure out what to do post cruise and pre flight help! (Bayonne)

We’re on the Adventure next month our flight back to the UK is 7pm on a Friday night from JFK.

We’re disembarking at Cape Liberty, trying to figure out what to do. We’ll have a teen with us who has already voiced her opinion about the RCCL Manhattan tour. (It was a distinct no thanks)

Given we’ll have luggage and there doesn’t appear to be anywhere to store it unless we go into NYC and the traffic issue which won’t leave us much time downtown. Any suggestions on what we can do? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We’re on the Adventure next month our flight back to the UK is 7pm on a Friday night from JFK.

We’re disembarking at Cape Liberty, trying to figure out what to do. We’ll have a teen with us who has already voiced her opinion about the RCCL Manhattan tour. (It was a distinct no thanks)

Given we’ll have luggage and there doesn’t appear to be anywhere to store it unless we go into NYC and the traffic issue which won’t leave us much time downtown. Any suggestions on what we can do? Thank you

What does your teen want to do in NYC? Can you manage your luggage on a train? Can you manage your luggage on accessible public transit?

What I'm thinking is that you could go to Schwartz Travel on W 37th St to store your luggage. You can walk to the Times Square area to explore and have lunch. Then you pick up your luggage, walk several blocks to NY Penn Station and take the train/Airtrain to JFK. This would avoid the traffic issues trying to take ground transportation to JFK on a summer Friday afternoon.

Getting into the city on a Friday morning can be accomplished by taking the light rail and PATH to Manhattan. Car Service to Schwartz travel is also possible.

If you go to Liberty Science Center, you still have the luggage issue.

We’ve got 2 days in NYC before the cruise, teen will have bought most of Sephora and the contents of every drugstore beauty counter. If possible would like to skip more time downtown! Looked at Jersey Gardens but think that’s a bit far and again there’s the luggage issue. I’m starting to think Bayonne is a rubbish place to disembark [emoji51]

We always have the same problem flying back to UK after a cruise. Most transatlantic flights are very late afternoon/evening. Thinking this time either doing the RC tour of New York with drop off at the airport, but its pretty expensive. Or booking into a day room at a hotel at the airport. Wish they would have late departure (for a fee) like they often do on cruises in Europe.

We’ve got 2 days in NYC before the cruise, teen will have bought most of Sephora and the contents of every drugstore beauty counter. If possible would like to skip more time downtown! Looked at Jersey Gardens but think that’s a bit far and again there’s the luggage issue. I’m starting to think Bayonne is a rubbish place to disembark [emoji51]

There is so much to see and do in NYC besides buying cosmetics. Walk the high line, grab a bite at Chelsea Market. Explore Central Park , take a ride on the Shark, Top of the Rock, 9/11 museum, book The Ride, get shakes at Black Tap...

There is so much to see and do in NYC besides buying cosmetics. Walk the high line, grab a bite at Chelsea Market. Explore Central Park , take a ride on the Shark, Top of the Rock, 9/11 museum, book The Ride, get shakes at Black Tap...

Tell that to our 14 year old! Love your ideas, will definitely look at those options thank you.

We always have the same problem flying back to UK after a cruise. Most transatlantic flights are very late afternoon/evening. Thinking this time either doing the RC tour of New York with drop off at the airport, but its pretty expensive. Or booking into a day room at a hotel at the airport. Wish they would have late departure (for a fee) like they often do on cruises in Europe.

A late fee option would be great and solve a lot of issues.

Tell that to our 14 year old! Love your ideas, will definitely look at those options thank you.

Dd17 went to jersey gardens last night with friends, she said lots of great deals. I think the problem would be luggage storage. Most of the ideas posted above are things my teens have or would enjoy (5 of them, 3 girls).

First, if you spend the day in NY and you have a 7PM international flight out of JFK you need to go there in the middle of rush hour on a Friday. Getting there by car means you need to leave a significant time cushion.

There is mass transit from NY to JFK however I have never used it and can't provide any advice in that regard however here is a link: http://web.mta.info/lirr/airports/

You did not say if you have been to NYC before. If you haven't I would suggest trying to move your flight a day or 2 to really see NY.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with shopping, I would spend the time seeing NYC.

There is the Liberty Science Center and the Statute of Liberty/Ellis Island nearby however you have a luggage problem. No way will you be able to take luggage to the Statute of Liberty.

The best way to maximize time is to take a limo (or if RCL has a transfer to Manhattan) and store luggage in Manhattan for a day and walk around the city. Another possibility is one of the open top sightseeing buses. Very touristy however you might like it. Tried a tour a couple of years ago and thought it was fun. May even do it again.

You will maybe have 5 hours in Manhattan because of logistics. Somewhere in the 5 hours you will need to fit in lunch.

Friday afternoon traffic heading to JFK is HORRIBLE. That is the Long Island beach weekend traffic. I would head out there early and get a day room at a hotel by the airport where you can take it easy before the flight home. The Hilton at JFK offers a day use rate with airport shuttle. If your daughter wants to go shopping, you can take a cab from the hotel to the Green Acres Mall and not have to drag your luggage with you.

Edited by Peak city

I would not suggest green acres mall lol. Traffic is Hamptons traffic not Long Beach traffic. Being from Long Island, I know. I would take a cab to Manhattan and go to the Met or any other museum. They all have coat checks/baggage rooms. Leave your luggage there. If you go to the MET you are on 5th Ave right near Central Park. Or the Museum of Modern Art is right on 53rd St. and 5th Ave. That's in the middle of everything. Walk to all the shops especially Saks Fifth Ave which has its own zip code for the shoe department! Any teens dream. Just make sure you leave Manhattan and head to JFK by 3pm. Take a cab to the JFK airport. This will give you plenty of time for your International flight home.

I think the biggest problem is the op is flying out of JFK. If I were sailing out of Bayonne the flight should have been out of Newark. That being said, I think I would go to JFK drop my luggage and then take ground transportation back into Manhatten. I would go to the Metropolitan or Momo, eat lunch in the cafe, enjoy the art and then back to JFK. Just my idea of a lovely afternoon. If not into museums I would people watch at Bryant Park.. Maybe go to Lord and Taylor or Saks.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

I'd stay on the ship as long as possible. Then take uber to JFK. Wait around until you can check in and then just enjoy the airport as it's very nice. The op needs to be at JFK around 4 to 5 pm anyway. I'm amazed anyone is even suggesting they go to JFK and drop off luggage and go back to NYC. Or even dropping luggage somewhere in NYC to tour again as they will have done that pre cruise.

On a Friday for a 7pm flight the main concern is being at the airport with plenty of time to spare

An alternate solution is to google Hoboken and the environs...uber there...enjoy a walk with luggage in tow on the river walk area...get a pastry at Carlos...get a lunch...get an uber to JFK by 2pm latest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd stay on the ship as long as possible. Then take uber to JFK. Wait around until you can check in and then just enjoy the airport as it's very nice. The op needs to be at JFK around 4 to 5 pm anyway. I'm amazed anyone is even suggesting they go to JFK and drop off luggage and go back to NYC. Or even dropping luggage somewhere in NYC to tour again as they will have done that pre cruise.

On a Friday for a 7pm flight the main concern is being at the airport with plenty of time to spare

An alternate solution is to google Hoboken and the environs...uber there...enjoy a walk with luggage in tow on the river walk area...get a pastry at Carlos...get a lunch...get an uber to JFK by 2pm latest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ohhhh...I love your Hoboken idea. Great city and tons to see. Wish I had thought of it!

Do not go to JFK then to Manhattan then back to JFK!!!!! JFK to midtown Manhattan is a 45 minute trip without traffic. Go straight to Manhattan, go to a museum check your bags and have a day in the Big Apple. Just leave by 3pm by Uber or cab as that is when rush hour traffic is just starting but you will be fine. Even if it takes you over an hour to get to JFK you have plenty of time to check in at the airport relax and get on your plane.

FYI, this is from the MET website.

"

Luggage, carry-on bags, and oversize backpacks are not allowed in the Museum and cannot be checked in at the coat-check facilities."

I have never used them however you might want to look into a baggage check facility in Manhattan as stated above.

Also, while I love the MET a teenager may not.

How does your daughter like the British Museum in London?

I do agree with the previous post about going to JFK back to Manhattan and then back to JFK is NOT a wise use of time.

As you say you will not have much time in Manhattan. Also with luggage you won't have many options.

On a different cruise I did a tour after the cruise because I had a late flight and it was a good way to kill time.