Formal Night for NCL EPIC

I know that since they are Freestyle, NCL doesn't do an actual formal night, but do guests tend to dress up anyway? I'm going on the epic in December and I wasn't sure if I should still plan on dressing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, people do, however, its a mixed crowd almost every night. You will find some men in Tuxs, suits, business casual to shorts. Women from long gowns, cocktail dresses, sun dresses, and shorts.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Yes, people do, however, its a mixed crowd almost every night. You will find some men in Tuxs, suits, business casual to shorts. Women from long gowns, cocktail dresses, sun dresses, and shorts.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I have been on six NCL cruises and never seen a significant number of passengers go formal, even men in suits. There are no rules against it, but you will stand out if you do this.

There are always those folks who say "if the rules say I can wear shorts to dinner, I am going to wear shorts to dinner".

Most people are dressed in "smart casual". Summer dress (eventhough you are sailing in winter), very few long dresses or gowns. Gents in collared shirts (a few long sleeve shirts, some in short sleeve hawaiian shirts, some in polo shirts) and long pants. For gents, fewer and fewer suits, a few sports coats.

Mostly something you would wear to go out to a since restaurant at home (i.e. not Denny's). And not looking like you just came back from the beach.

The Manhattan Room and Le Bistro prohibits shorts, so if you want a slightly more sophisticated crowd, you can eat there.

• 1 year later...

This is exactly why we primarily cruise with Royal Caribbean or one of the Deluxe brands! Cruising has become "cheap", and I don't mean it just in a dollar amount. When we first started cruising you were made to feel special! People dressed up for dinner! People acted like they had some sense while on a cruise! Nowadays, it's quite different. There are a bunch of foolish people on a cruise. When anyone can cruise..."Anyone" cruises!!! Is it too much to ask everyone attending the dining room to dress up "1" freaking night??? Oh well, you get the point! Freestyle is not for me!

This is exactly why we primarily cruise with Royal Caribbean or one of the Deluxe brands! Cruising has become "cheap", and I don't mean it just in a dollar amount. When we first started cruising you were made to feel special! People dressed up for dinner! People acted like they had some sense while on a cruise! Nowadays, it's quite different. There are a bunch of foolish people on a cruise. When anyone can cruise..."Anyone" cruises!!! Is it too much to ask everyone attending the dining room to dress up "1" freaking night???
Hear hear! Someone was telling me they went on an NCL cruise recently and "they couldn't believe some of the people they witnessed in the dining areas. Absolute pigs!".

Really hoping I don't run into the same thing on my upcoming Epic Med.

This is exactly why we primarily cruise with Royal Caribbean or one of the Deluxe brands! Cruising has become "cheap", and I don't mean it just in a dollar amount. When we first started cruising you were made to feel special! People dressed up for dinner! People acted like they had some sense while on a cruise! Nowadays, it's quite different. There are a bunch of foolish people on a cruise. When anyone can cruise..."Anyone" cruises!!! Is it too much to ask everyone attending the dining room to dress up "1" freaking night??? Oh well, you get the point! Freestyle is not for me!
For your first post on CC you choose to complain about NCL on an NCL forum and you don't even cruise on NCL, why do you even care?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Forums mobile app

I didn’t want it to sound like I don’t love :hearteyes:people, all people, however, cruising :ship: for me is a privilege, one I save up for, and with prices being so low on some of the cruises, you often get anyone and everyone! I don’t know if that sounds like I want it to sound but, oh well!!!;p

As someone who wears a suit everyday for work, when I go on vacation there's no way I'm wearing that on a cruise. That said I won't go to a restaurant in shorts and a tank top either. You want to think I have no "sense" that's fine. "Anyone" should be able to cruise, and yes it is too much to ask others to dress up to make YOU feel special. Ask your spouse to do that, not a bunch of strangers trying to enjoy themselves on vacation.

Is it too much to ask everyone attending the dining room to dress up "1" freaking night??? Oh well, you get the point! Freestyle is not for me!

Yes, when I'm on holiday that is absolutely too much to ask that.

I absolutely hate dressing up, have absolutely zero interest in clothes or fashion, and would wear my jeans and t shirt everywhere if I could. I am perfectly happy for anyone else to wear whatever they like, and don't think that I am important enough to dictate to others what they should wear.

In my general life there are times when I have to dress up in some way. I do so when it is necessary, but hate it. I have absolutely no feel for what looks any good, or what is appropriate for different places, and often end up overdressed. I hate the whole thing, and always feel very uncomfortable. It is not a case of "can't be bothered", as I do in fact bother, but I hate it.

I will put up with that when it is required, but a cruise is a bloody holiday! There are options for people if they want to dress up, and I'm not going to stop them, or even go as far as to suggest that they should do anything differently.

I don't go on lines where dressing up is expected and flout the rules. I chose a line which has a dress code that I am happy with, and I really am not interested in hearing that you don't like that.

You undoubtedly haven’t been cruising long and don’t get it! Grow up and talk to me when you’ve been on 79 cruises!:')

On the contrary, I think you've been cruising for too long. Stick with the crotchety old folks on Princess, Celebrity, or whatever line the 65 and over crowd likes.

You undoubtedly didn’t read my comment! The first thing I said was ”This is why we primarily cruise with Royal Caribbean or one of the Deluxe brands...” I don’t cruise Norwegian and most likely will not!

Have a nice day!

Well having just returned this year to RCI after a couple of years break (I'm not sure when you last sailed with them) but I found very few dressed for dinner. So I wouldn't level insinuation that it is just Freestyle on NCL where dress standards have dropped. It is across the board as so many who sail in the Caribbean are now saying it's too hot to dress in anything other than shorts and t-shirts, despite the interior of a cruise ship being air conditioned. Check out the threads on CC for RCI where many are now reporting that shorts are acceptable in the MDR.

In my experience Europeans dress more 'formally' than those who sail in the Caribbean, despite the fact it can be just as hot in the Mediterranean. :):)

Even Celebrity have abandoned formal night and replaced it with 'Elegant Chic', but again this now means nearly anything goes.

I'd be interested in which brands you consider 'Deluxe'.

On the contrary, I think you've been cruising for too long. Stick with the crotchety old folks on Princess, Celebrity, or whatever line the 65 and over crowd likes.

Leave the cruising to the professionals and stay with Norwegian or Carnival!!!

Well having just returned this year to RCI after a couple of years break (I'm not sure when you last sailed with them) but I found very few dressed for dinner. So I wouldn't level insinuation that it is just Freestyle on NCL where dress standards have dropped. It is across the board as so many who sail in the Caribbean are now saying it's too hot to dress in anything other than shorts and t-shirts, despite the interior of a cruise ship being air conditioned. Check out the threads on CC for RCI where many are now reporting that shorts are acceptable in the MDR.

In my experience Europeans dress more 'formally' than those who sail in the Caribbean, despite the fact it can be just as hot in the Mediterranean. :):)

Even Celebrity have abandoned formal night and replaced it with 'Elegant Chic', but again this now means nearly anything goes.

I'd be interested in which brands you consider 'Deluxe'.

We primarily cruise Royal, 4 this year, 9 last year. 1 Celebrity this year. 1 Princess booked for October and 1 ship and cruise line where you expect to dress down, Disney, in December. I’m simply saying that cruising has changed sooooo much through the last 27 years since we first sailed. If someone never cruised back then they wouldn’t know the difference...we do! I also simply stated “Is it too much to ask people to dress up “1” freaking night???” Just 1!!!!!!!

Happy sailing!!!

I think some of the behaviour in general by other cruisers needs to be addressed. Not just fashion. But once when I was easing by myself at a table, I was reading while eating, and someone was trying to get by my chair to another table beside me. I am always more than happy to move, but I didn’t hear the passenger asking me to get by. Then when I noticed him, he got really angry and gave me a bad look to motion to me to “move” so he could get by. I was absolutely stunned. Then he proceeded to eat an entire plate (dinner size, not dessert) of cake.

It was so rude, and I think generally, keeping certain standards in place such as “formal nights” helps to keep the atmosphere polite and sophisticated and classy and avoid rudeness and abuse like I did from that passenger.

And it doesn’t have to be “formal” formal, I’m just saying, dress nice - heeled shoes, no shorts, no graphic t’s. At least keep it to some neatly-pressed Eddie Bauer or LL Bean and that’s fine.

Yes, when I'm on holiday that is absolutely too much to ask that.

I absolutely hate dressing up, have absolutely zero interest in clothes or fashion, and would wear my jeans and t shirt everywhere if I could. I am perfectly happy for anyone else to wear whatever they like, and don't think that I am important enough to dictate to others what they should wear.

In my general life there are times when I have to dress up in some way. I do so when it is necessary, but hate it. I have absolutely no feel for what looks any good, or what is appropriate for different places, and often end up overdressed. I hate the whole thing, and always feel very uncomfortable. It is not a case of "can't be bothered", as I do in fact bother, but I hate it.

I will put up with that when it is required, but a cruise is a bloody holiday! There are options for people if they want to dress up, and I'm not going to stop them, or even go as far as to suggest that they should do anything differently.

I don't go on lines where dressing up is expected and flout the rules. I chose a line which has a dress code that I am happy with, and I really am not interested in hearing that you don't like that.

You're still my favorite poster ever. :D

I know that since they are Freestyle, NCL doesn't do an actual formal night, but do guests tend to dress up anyway? I'm going on the epic in December and I wasn't sure if I should still plan on dressing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happy Birthday tomorrow!!!! yes i would say people still dress up...its just a matter to what extent..i feel a tux may be a bit much...but a jacket with an open dress shirt would be fine...a form fitting dress for her with medium height open heels would be welcome..

enjoy your upcoming cruise!!!

Best,

Mark

There are always those folks who say "if the rules say I can wear shorts to dinner, I am going to wear shorts to dinner".

Most people are dressed in "smart casual". Summer dress (eventhough you are sailing in winter), very few long dresses or gowns. Gents in collared shirts (a few long sleeve shirts, some in short sleeve hawaiian shirts, some in polo shirts) and long pants. For gents, fewer and fewer suits, a few sports coats.

Mostly something you would wear to go out to a since restaurant at home (i.e. not Denny's). And not looking like you just came back from the beach.

The Manhattan Room and Le Bistro prohibits shorts, so if you want a slightly more sophisticated crowd, you can eat there.

i guess "Smart Casual" depends on what school one attended. lol