hairbraiding advice needed

Boatingmom

Is there hair braiding on Princess Cay? If so, how much? We'll be on St Thomas, St Marten, Turks, and Princess Cay. Where is the best place to get affordable nice braids?

I don't think there is anyone on Princess Cays to do hair braiding, as it is a private area for Princess cruise passengers only. Be very careful getting braids done on the island as the natives will tell you one price when you start and then it's another price when they are done.

Is there hair braiding on Princess Cay? If so, how much? We'll be on St Thomas, St Marten, Turks, and Princess Cay. Where is the best place to get affordable nice braids?

I had my hair braided on Princess Cay's in 2000, don't remember noticing it there when I was there in 2010. Any of those places shouldn't be too bad. Just before to set the price upfront and maybe have a witness with you when it's quoted. I've never personally seen anyone get hosed though.

If you want to try to lessen the risk of getting head lice by getting your hair braided, bring your own comb(s) but that may not totally eliminate this possibility.

I have had several friends/coworkers who had their daughter's hair braided while on a cruise or island vacation who did get head lice from this.

If you do get lice, the most effective and arguably safest(fewest chemicals) way to kill the live bugs is to smother them by mixing mayonnaise with Vaseline and applying it all over your head for an hour or so. Most of the pesticides sold in stores are not very effective anymore. You still have to be meticulous looking for nits(eggs) daily for at least a week after treating. Hence, the term "nit-picking"! My daughter got this "gift" from her cousins after they came back from summer camp(another lice paradise!) many years ago and it was quite labor intensive to eradicate them. Boys can just get a buzz cut and problem is solved. Not for girls!

My wife has been asked many many times if she would like her hair braided yet not one of those people asking her had their own hair braided. I wonder why that is?

:) IMHO, the Bo Derek look is not flattering and just announces "tourist". :rolleyes:

most braiders will post a price PER braid then do them in tiny skinny fashion.

If you decide to get the braids-- use suncreen to avoid a bald head and know that the braids could be painful when removing.

Archived