What I Learned At Uniworld Cruise Night

Roz

My TA's agency does a lot of business with Uniworld, and periodically they sponsor Uniworld cruise presentations. I attended one of these last week.

Probably about 40% of the people present had been on a river cruise, and most of those had sailed with Uniworld. The Uniworld rep highlighted the things that set Uniworld apart from some of the other river cruise lines, and talked about the newest ships and some of the most popular itineraries. She also mentioned the current promotion that is offering up to 30% off some itineraries, on top of the River Heritage Club discount and the OBC offered by the agency. At the end she briefly talked about U by Uniworld, which generated some interest.

Several attendees said they weren't aware there were other river cruise companies besides Viking. There was a Q&A, and some of the concerns mentioned were having to dress formally every day, paying for a river cruise and ending up with a bus tour, and airfare only being offered thru certain gateway cities. The Uniworld rep did a good job of explaining how Uniworld handles situations vs. other lines. She very diplomatically didn't put down other lines, but instead focused on what she feels they excel at.

Most of the information I was already aware of, but did find out Uniworld will be owning and operating its own ship in Portugal in 2020, and no one knows when 2019 itineraries will be released; Uniworld is still finalizing 2018.

Roz

Ritabob,

I booked both of my Uniworld cruises thru my TA. I sail solo, and both times she went to bat for me and got some good pricing.

The Uniworld rep at the cruise night said that Uniworld doesn't do a lot of advertising. Instead they prefer to work thru travel agencies and TAs and let them do the marketing. I'm assuming the TAs make decent commissions with this arrangement.

On my recent Eastern Europe cruise, I got a reduced single supplement, a discount for booking early, a discount for having booked as a result of attending a cruise night, the 5% River Heritage discount, plus OBC from the agency. I have no idea what the price would have been had I booked direct with Uniworld. I like my TA and the service she provides, plus she cruises and travels herself, so she's not just an order taker.

Roz

Hi Roz,:) thanks for the post, sounds interesting and it also sounds as if many folks don't do any of their own research

at all......dressing formally every day? I wonder what made folks think it is that way.

Anyway, I am still trying decide what to do for my 60th birthday.......which is getting closer by the month......I was looking

at Uniworld for it but for some reason, I just can't seem to pinpoint a "BUY ME" trip:eek:

Hi Lois. I think some people look at the higher (relatively) fares on AMA, Uniworld, and Tauck and associate higher prices with a more formal experience.

I'm considering a new itinerary on Uniworld, Remarkable Rhine, that includes an optional Jewish Heritage excursion at most ports. Although I'm not of the Jewish faith, I'm interested in religious history and think it would give a different perspective than the typical Rhine river cruise.

I'm looking at both AMA and Uniworld, but I know what you mean about nothing grabbing you. But it's nice to have this "problem". I'll keep looking.

Roz

Hi Roz,:) thanks for the post, sounds interesting and it also sounds as if many folks don't do any of their own research

at all......dressing formally every day? I wonder what made folks think it is that way.

Anyway, I am still trying decide what to do for my 60th birthday.......which is getting closer by the month......I was looking

at Uniworld for it but for some reason, I just can't seem to pinpoint a "BUY ME" trip:eek:

March 18th-Provence;p You can be home 6 days before the end of the month!

Robin

March 18th-Provence;p You can be home 6 days before the end of the month!

Robin

Hi Robin:).....no can do.........my boss is off for 3 days during that same time period.........when he is gone, I cannot

leave............I know April is very doable but am actually looking at a cruise on WINDSTAR for earlier in March.