Laundrette and plug sockets

Dexter168

We are going on our first p and o cruise (20th September Oceana) . Starting to think of my packing and have a couple of questions.

1/ Are the laundrettes open on embarkation day, we are spending a few day in Malta before hand and I could wash the clothes that we have already worn.

2/ Would this be the quietest day in the laundrette

3/ How much do the machines cost per load and do I need cash or use my cruise card.

4/ I understand that there is only 1 british plug socket in a balcony cabin. Can somebody recommend a suitable adapter, maybe Argos or other high street brand.

Thanks in advance.

We are going on our first p and o cruise (20th September Oceana) . Starting to think of my packing and have a couple of questions.

1/ Are the laundrettes open on embarkation day, we are spending a few day in Malta before hand and I could wash the clothes that we have already worn.

2/ Would this be the quietest day in the laundrette

3/ How much do the machines cost per load and do I need cash or use my cruise card.

4/ I understand that there is only 1 british plug socket in a balcony cabin. Can somebody recommend a suitable adapter, maybe Argos or other high street brand.

Thanks in advance.

The launderettes are free to use so you just need to bring your own powder/capsules.I think the launderettes should be open as some people will be staying on the ship if they are doing a 14 night cruise and it probably be a fairly quiet time to use the launderette

There are usually 2/3 British plug sockets in you cabin. More on bigger, more modern ships. Don't forget the one which the kettle uses. Don't be tempted to take extension leads that will take 3 or 4 plugs. You will often find on list of things you should take on a cruise, but they are banned.

Have been cruising since 1978 and always take an extension board of sockets and a travel iron....in fact all our friends do. Just have to be sensible and not leave anything plugged in whilst you are out of the cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

P&O quote:

Please note, irons or ironing boards are not permitted to be brought on board with you.

So it’s a case of I’ll will do what I want to do regardless of the rules. It only takes one “accident” to cause a fire. Safety should be everybody’s business. Use the irons provided in the laundry rather than risk other peoples safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We didn’t take our own soap powder and were surprised it wasn’t available in the laundrette (either free or paid for) as on other cruise lines. It was available to buy in the shop but forgot that the shops would be closed on 2 consecutive port days when the ship was in port until 10 pm :rolleyes:. Fortunately there were cups of soap powder available in reception for forgetful passengers, like us :D.

I thought I read somewhere that whilst the machines are free, you must buy detergent from reception. I’m hoping I’m wrong and I can take a couple of detergent capsules along. It’s going to a novelty for me anyway as I’m used to sailing with other cruise lines who don’t provide this facility.

I thought I read somewhere that whilst the machines are free, you must buy detergent from reception. I’m hoping I’m wrong and I can take a couple of detergent capsules along. It’s going to a novelty for me anyway as I’m used to sailing with other cruise lines who don’t provide this facility.

You can take your own detergent. They expect you to do that. No problem.

Laundry tablets (or capsules) are available to buy from the shop (at £1 per dose). If the shops are shut due to port restrictions, I have read that it is available from reception.

Re irons in cabins. When we were on Arcadia a couple of years ago our steward gave us an iron and ironing board to use in the cabin! It is safer than someone smoking in their cabin..we have been on a few cruises where smokers have caused fires and in one case the whole area was damaged.

Re irons in cabins. When we were on Arcadia a couple of years ago our steward gave us an iron and ironing board to use in the cabin! It is safer than someone smoking in their cabin..we have been on a few cruises where smokers have caused fires and in one case the whole area was damaged.

Which is why smoking in cabins, and balconies has been banned. Together with the cost of additional cleaning to try and get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke.

Also, the iron loaned will have been tested and deemed to be safe. Not so with those brought on board by passengers.