Bad Odor Magic Cove Balconies?

wanderlust0713

We are booked in a cove balcony on the Magic in May and am curious also. Can you share what cabin or if you don't want to give that which area? Front/Mid/Aft and port/starboard side?

This person was in 2279, so starboard side towards the front. We will be in 2285.

Typically, localized smells like this in cabins (or in your case balconies) is caused by the drain trap drying out. If your balcony has an odor problem, try pouring a couple of glasses of water down the drain to refill the trap. If the balcony has not seen a lot of rain to replenish the trap water, and someone has poured or dropped something organic down the drain, it may be rotting and causing the odor. Replenishing the water in the trap should cure it.

This person was in 2279, so starboard side towards the front. We will be in 2285.

We were on the Magic in a cove balcony Cabin 2279 in December 3, 2016. There is a sewer smell. Right above the balcony are two vents on the outside of the ship where the vent fins are placed downward. The air is coming from somewhere in the bowels of the ship and is extremely foul smelling. In fact, given the angle of the side of the ship, if you sit on the balcony the air vents are blowing that air from the vent so strongly that it actual hits your legs and then bounces up into your face! It was untenable the first day. We thought it would subside after we went to sea. Nope, air vent on 24-7 and blowing into the cove balcony, making it unusable and unhealthy. The third day I went to Guest services. They were very apologetic and knew there was a problem. However, no available cabins anywhere as ship was sold out.

So, they gave us a 15% discount on this cruise and a 15% discount on a future cruise.

The room steward came everyday with an "ionizer" to clean the room air. And that smell after use was almost as bad as the balcony smell.

Now before anybody starts with their opinions on how they would have handled it, I want you to know that this was our 25th cruise with half of them on Carnival. So we are familiar with how things operate. And I am a retired New York attorney, need I say more.

We simply treated it as a oceanview room. Rather than aggravate myself and get my wife further upset, we simply enjoyed the ship. Also guest services continued to check on us as well as the room steward who we saw more than all the other cruises combined. I think he thought we would blame him!

What is disappointing is that Carnival is placing passenger after passenger in the same cabin year after year and not fixing the issue. Once I determined it was the vents, they could install movable ones and possibly redirect the air flow so it doesn't blow directly into that balcony. Guest services has repeatedly requested assistance to fix this issue but to no avail.

Yes, I know I could have insisted on more compensation and/or drafted a letter to corporate and escalated the matter. And I did check several more times about a cabin opening up after the first several ports. But we decided not to let this issue, which guest services could not fix as a practical matter, ruin our trip.

We are booked on the Magic in February 2018 in a Cove balcony. I have been scrutinizing cabin reviews and checking to see if there are any vents above us. The next booked cove balcony has no life boat and thus not shaded like the rest! I like the cove balcony because its cozy, the sea is right there and it is shaded from the sum by the life boats: something I need because of my skin condition acquired during my service during the Persian Gulf War. So I might ask to be moved before the week's out!

We were on the Magic in a cove balcony Cabin 2279 in December 3, 2016. There is a sewer smell. Right above the balcony are two vents on the outside of the ship where the vent fins are placed downward. The air is coming from somewhere in the bowels of the ship and is extremely foul smelling. In fact, given the angle of the side of the ship, if you sit on the balcony the air vents are blowing that air from the vent so strongly that it actual hits your legs and then bounces up into your face! It was untenable the first day. We thought it would subside after we went to sea. Nope, air vent on 24-7 and blowing into the cove balcony, making it unusable and unhealthy. The third day I went to Guest services. They were very apologetic and knew there was a problem. However, no available cabins anywhere as ship was sold out.

So, they gave us a 15% discount on this cruise and a 15% discount on a future cruise.

The room steward came everyday with an "ionizer" to clean the room air. And that smell after use was almost as bad as the balcony smell.

Now before anybody starts with their opinions on how they would have handled it, I want you to know that this was our 25th cruise with half of them on Carnival. So we are familiar with how things operate. And I am a retired New York attorney, need I say more.

We simply treated it as a oceanview room. Rather than aggravate myself and get my wife further upset, we simply enjoyed the ship. Also guest services continued to check on us as well as the room steward who we saw more than all the other cruises combined. I think he thought we would blame him!

What is disappointing is that Carnival is placing passenger after passenger in the same cabin year after year and not fixing the issue. Once I determined it was the vents, they could install movable ones and possibly redirect the air flow so it doesn't blow directly into that balcony. Guest services has repeatedly requested assistance to fix this issue but to no avail.

Yes, I know I could have insisted on more compensation and/or drafted a letter to corporate and escalated the matter. And I did check several more times about a cabin opening up after the first several ports. But we decided not to let this issue, which guest services could not fix as a practical matter, ruin our trip.

We are booked on the Magic in February 2018 in a Cove balcony. I have been scrutinizing cabin reviews and checking to see if there are any vents above us. The next booked cove balcony has no life boat and thus not shaded like the rest! I like the cove balcony because its cozy, the sea is right there and it is shaded from the sum by the life boats: something I need because of my skin condition acquired during my service during the Persian Gulf War. So I might ask to be moved before the week's out!

Wow, thank you for clarifying! I don't blame how you handled it. If you pay for a balcony you expect to be able to use it, as we do. Do you happen to know if the smell is an issue for that cabin specifically or if there are others it affects? We're in 2285 which isn't too far away

Wow, thank you for clarifying! I don't blame how you handled it. If you pay for a balcony you expect to be able to use it, as we do. Do you happen to know if the smell is an issue for that cabin specifically or if there are others it affects? We're in 2285 which isn't too far away

Because of the vents blowing straight down into this particular cove balcony, I think it is confined to that balcony and possibly the one on either side. Although we did hear the passengers in the next cabin out on their balcony. I also forgot to mention that there was a serious drain pipe on this balcony. I though at first blush there was a problem with that pipe but nobody knew where it came from or where the pipe went!

You appear to be several cabins past this particular cabin that we had so you should be fine. However, if it you get on board and smell anything asked to be moved on the first night.

Again, they know there is a problem and each and every cruise they have unsuspecting passengers occupying this cabin. This is my most irritating issue as this ship is over five years old so they have had time to "fix" it.

We were in 2277 in September and the balcony was unusable. There is some type of fan that runs continuously day and night that vents sewer smell. I thought it was the vent from the ships incinerator. They burn the sludge from the sewage on the ship. We did not complain but we should have. The room location was good and the room was good but the balcony was not.

What about the Dream? Are those front coves smelly?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Dream six times, mostly in Cove Balconies. Tried to get one on the starboard side underneath the shore excursion desk. Quiet as a church mouse and no smells. We did stay in 2260 and I was worried as the elevators were right there and passengers had to pass our cabin to get to their cabins. Not too much of a disturbance.

We did sail the Breeze but during Easter week and we had an oceanview as the prices very extremely high. Ship was beautiful and is coming to Pt. Canaveral in 2018: we're 15 minutes from the port!

We were at the aft on deck 1. Every night we could smell Sewer gas.

Also, a few times if the wind was right we could also smell in on deck 10 at the very back.

Not sure if they incinerate on the ship but we saw black smoke come out of the stack and it started raining ash on the back deck on 10. This was during our last sea day coming from Mexico back to Florida.

We were in 2309 on Magic. We had the same issue for about 2.5 days (off and on) on our 8 day cruise. We also reported it to guest services, and they gave a similar explanation about a vent causing that smell. They gave us a bottle of wine and OBC. Their service was excellent and they were very apologetic.

Considering the low price we paid ($95 pppd, incl taxes), I think it was still a good deal. If we had paid more (like for a regular balcony), it would have been a different story. I enjoyed the balcony every chance I got when it was "fresh", and just relocated to Ocean Plaza on the smelly days.

Sorry this happened to you. We had the exact same issue on a Cove balcony on the Breeze. The smell was terrible.

We were in 2264 and 2266 on the Magic in December. There was a decidedly sewer smell as we headed higher in numbers toward mid-ship. I can't tell you exactly where; DH thinks its about mid-ship. I can't tell you if it could be smelled in the rooms, but it was clearly there in a space of about 6 cabins.

We were in 2309 on Magic. We had the same issue for about 2.5 days (off and on) on our 8 day cruise. We also reported it to guest services, and they gave a similar explanation about a vent causing that smell. They gave us a bottle of wine and OBC. Their service was excellent and they were very apologetic.

Considering the low price we paid ($95 pppd, incl taxes), I think it was still a good deal. If we had paid more (like for a regular balcony), it would have been a different story. I enjoyed the balcony every chance I got when it was "fresh", and just relocated to Ocean Plaza on the smelly days.

Awwww dang. We're booked in 2309 on the Dream. As soon as I read this I looked at changing our room but the only available coves for a party of three are below the galley. :( And we used our balcony ALL the time on our last cruise. Well at least if I need to complain I won't feel bad as it's something they've most assuredly heard before.

We were in a Cove on the Breeze in 2013, 2432 and we absolutely loved it!

We sail on the Magic in 11 days in room 2314! Hope we don't experience any odors or, thanks to being forewarned, I will contact them as soon as it's noticed but I doubt they will do anything as the ship is sold out except for a few suites!

Hmm. Maybe they'll upgrade us??? Right.

We were in a Cove on the Breeze in 2013, 2432 and we absolutely loved it!

We sail on the Magic in 11 days in room 2314! Hope we don't experience any odors or, thanks to being forewarned, I will contact them as soon as it's noticed but I doubt they will do anything as the ship is sold out except for a few suites!

Hmm. Maybe they'll upgrade us??? Right.

Go by and ask the people in 2285 if it smells for me ;) we actually wouldn't even want to switch categories even if it was offered. We're really looking forward to having a Cove balcony and if the odor isn't present all the time I think we could work with it. We don't expect to use it too too much anyways.