Bad Odor Magic Cove Balconies?

wanderlust0713

Go by and ask the people in 2285 if it smells for me ;) we actually wouldn't even want to switch categories even if it was offered. We're really looking forward to having a Cove balcony and if the odor isn't present all the time I think we could work with it. We don't expect to use it too too much anyways.

Sure will try to remember to do that for you! Remembering is the key here.

Now, if our cove smells, that will DEFINITELY be a reminder! So hopefully for me, I'll forget, but for you, I'll remember!!

Debating whether to switch from our current cove (2309) to the first cove (2273).

Anyone stay in 2273 and have an odor issue???

Not sure if you'll have an odor but you will probably have an issue with spray. Might want to check that out on the boards here. Most coves get some spray but one of the things I loved most about the cove was watching the spray from the front of the ship. That always depends on the size of the waves too. We had very calm seas but there's always some spray as the ship moves forward but in any higher seas - it's just beautiful! And wet!

We were in a Cove on the Breeze in 2013, 2432 and we absolutely loved it!

We sail on the Magic in 11 days in room 2314! Hope we don't experience any odors or, thanks to being forewarned, I will contact them as soon as it's noticed but I doubt they will do anything as the ship is sold out except for a few suites!

Hmm. Maybe they'll upgrade us??? Right.

We have 2314 in 4 weeks.

Question about large ships

Do they empty the black tanks and grey tanks while at sea or wait until back at original port

For example if the leave from Tampa donthey only empty once they get back to Tampa?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were in cove balcony 2334 on the January 21st sailing of Magic and we had no issues with any foul smells and we spent a lot of time out on our balcony.

We sailed in a cove balcony on the Dream 3x and never had any issues with foul smells either.

We are booked in 2334 on the Magic again in January 2018.....we really enjoy the breeze and privacy of the cove balconies.

Susan

Question about large ships

Do they empty the black tanks and grey tanks while at sea or wait until back at original port

For example if the leave from Tampa donthey only empty once they get back to Tampa?

All the cruise ships, whether large or small, don't "empty" the black water or gray water tanks. No cruise ship could hold all the water used onboard. A ship of 2200 passenger capacity uses around 800-1000 metric tons per day of water, which all becomes either gray or black water. The black water is not allowed to be dumped at sea, it is treated before pumping over. Gray water may be pumped overboard at sea, with certain restrictions. However, most cruise ships have "advanced waste water treatment plants", that take all of the black water and gray water and treat it to near clear, clean drinking water before it goes overboard.

Hello!

For those who stayed in cabins 2288 and 2317... will you tell me what the area directly across from cabins 2288 and 2315 is?

On the deck plan it is an empty space. Is this a crew storage area?

Did you notice noise from it?

Thanks!

We just got off the Magic last weekend. We were on 6th floor interior room, mid ship. Our room was fine but down the hall towards the back, there was sewer smells that were pretty strong in the hallway. Can't imagine what it smelled like in the cabin. You could tell someone was trying to do something about the smell because once in awhile when you walked by there was more of a fragrant smell..

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
We were in 2309 on Magic. We had the same issue for about 2.5 days (off and on) on our 8 day cruise. We also reported it to guest services, and they gave a similar explanation about a vent causing that smell. They gave us a bottle of wine and OBC. Their service was excellent and they were very apologetic.

Considering the low price we paid ($95 pppd, incl taxes), I think it was still a good deal. If we had paid more (like for a regular balcony), it would have been a different story. I enjoyed the balcony every chance I got when it was "fresh", and just relocated to Ocean Plaza on the smelly days.

This makes me nervous. I'm in 2315 in September -picked it because it didn't have a lifeboat above. If anyone has any updates on this cabin that would be great.

Thanks,

Jim

Just off the Magic today. Loved Cove Balcony #2314 and friends had #2318 connecting rooms but not a connecting balcony. Go figure. Was told it can't be done because of the bathrooms! Seriously, the bathrooms?? Being on opposite sides of the state rooms the connecting door can't go on the same wall with a bathroom! Sorry that didn't make sense. So engineer the connecting balcony doors to align! Doesn't sound THAT difficult to me.

Anyway, that is my only complaint about the room and I was forewarned on here, too late to make a change but like I said my only complaint.

Absolutely no sewer smell and never heard any reports of sewer smells from anyone and we talked to a lot of people!!

The room steward did ask us whether we preferred morning cleaning or evening. He did say that we could have both if we wanted. We know that's creating a lot more work for them and I'm fairly capable of turning down the bed so I had them clean in the morning which meant anytime I stopped in all day long it was neat and tidy in there, bed was made, towel animal sat there waiting for me to move it to the couch, etc.

Now I better go unpack. Or maybe not.

The room steward did ask us whether we preferred morning cleaning or evening. He did say that we could have both if we wanted. We know that's creating a lot more work for them and I'm fairly capable of turning down the bed so I had them clean in the morning which meant anytime I stopped in all day long it was neat and tidy in there, bed was made, towel animal sat there waiting for me to move it to the couch, etc..

This whole Carnival change in room cleaning is starting to worry me. We are still asked to pay the same amount in tips - but now we are supposed to feel guilty for desiring the same level of service? I'm not resentful of tipping - and we always tip extra - but I am resentful of this whole switch to once a day service without changing tip amount. I go on a cruise so that I never have to worry about cleaning or cooking or entertainment. Yes, I can turn down my own bed. But the onlytime in my life that I don't have to is on a cruise - and that's one of the things that makes it so special.

Hello!

For those who stayed in cabins 2288 and 2317... will you tell me what the area directly across from cabins 2288 and 2315 is?

On the deck plan it is an empty space. Is this a crew storage area?

Did you notice noise from it?

Thanks!

I am wondering the same. We are staying in 2288 on the Breeze in Oct 2017

I am wondering the same. We are staying in 2288 on the Breeze in Oct 2017

These are most likely linen lockers, where the cabin service carts are stored, or cabin pantries, which have the ice machines and glass washing machines for the stewards. They typically aren't using these early in the morning or late at night.

Someone on a fb group is saying their Cove balcony on Magic was unusable because of a terrible smell and their steward said a couple are like that.. our cabin is only three down from where this person was. Does anyone have experience with this?

We were in 2337 and didn't smell anything. This cabin is one of the ones that is between the lifeboats and had more sun.. which we were trying to avoid. :mad::cool:

Dream 2268. No odor. Lot of spray. Shady, but impossible to read when at top speed due to sea spray.

I'm surprised you had so much spray. We were in 2287 and never had any sea spray (and we used the balcony a LOT). Now I'm worried about the spray on our next cruise as we have 2273, which is the first cove balcony.