What ended up happening with the "one service a day" issue?

AdoraBelle

Can anyone tell me what the official result of that was?

Or is this one of those bizarrely forbidden subjects?

Are you talking about the 'no service first night' fantasy post?

Or asking what happened with the pilot program rolled out to ships asking people what THEY actually prefer?

:p

With the second, it is just that, select what you want and receive that service.

As far as the first:

There is no 'official' result. It was just random opinions voiced by people expressing their varying degrees of likes and dislikes of Carnival.

Along with suppositions, dire forecasts, predictions based on nothing, and fantasy ideas of what should and should not be the norm of a multi-million dollar corporation.

Hardly a 'forbidden' subject as it pops up multiple times a day and usually starts off with "I did a search and none of the hundreds of posts showed up" lead in. :D

However certain things said can have dire results.

Edited by Bookbug53

It still seems to vary by ship which card you will receive but it's pretty well accepted that you can just mark both boxes on the card if you want service twice a day and the both option isn't on your card.

Ok, so if there is a card it was "officially" rolled out, despite Heald saying it wasn't happening?

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but there's a thread on the X forums where a guest was told by a steward that evening turndown service was being discontinued. Celebrity is denying it on social media.

I was trying to find whether the change got officially rolled out on Carnival, for comparison purposes, but Carnival and Cruise Critic have done a decent job of burying the info. Lots of deleted threads.

I am not talking about the "first night" argument, I'm asking whether "pick which time of day your want you room serviced" happened officially.

(Heh, they've locked the thread on the Celebrity forums, so even if this change did happen on CCL, I can't go back and warn them not to trust what the social media reps tell them.)

Edited by AdoraBelle

Ok, so if there is a card it was "officially" rolled out, despite Heald saying it wasn't happening?

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but there's a thread on the X forums where a guest was told by a steward that evening turndown service was being discontinued. Celebrity is denying it on social media.

I was trying to find whether the change got officially rolled out on Carnival, for comparison purposes, but Carnival and Cruise Critic have done a decent job of burying the info. Lots of deleted threads.

I am not talking about the "first night" argument, I'm asking whether "pick which time of day your want you room serviced" happened officially.

(Heh, they've locked the thread on the Celebrity forums, so even if this change did happen on CCL, I can't go back and warn them not to trust what the social media reps tell them.)

They have a pilot program on a couple of ships. John has said there are 'issues' with the understanding of it and they are working this out. He has said that Carnival is not discontinuing the twice a day service as a policy.

They are however trying a pilot program to give people options. The card does exist and he never denied it. There is an option that says 'check all that apply'. So check both. As with any new program problems happen. Twice a day is offered if that is what you want.

'Misunderstandings' with stewards should be taken up with guest services.

It's funny that the same type of thread on one board shows up on another. There will always be those that just love to start 'flame' wars.

Best advice: take a cruise, ask questions from more than one source, believe what actually happens to you, and never, but never, try to tell anyone differently on CC!

Edited by Bookbug53

On the Dream in Jan/Feb we were given a comfort card. It said morning service, evening service. It didn't say pick one. I checked both boxes. It also had boxes for extra pillows, blankets, ice and robes. I selected ice (didn't need the rest) Eduardo was excellent. He didn't bat an eye, or question my selection of both boxes and serviced our room twice a day.

I got off the Pride three weeks ago. I was able to talk to my room steward the first day. He checked my suite twice a day. By mutual agreement, he did a general cleanup in the morning. In the evening, he spent more time in the suite. This was when he did the incredible towel creations. The only thing that I asked to be done special was to always have ice in the ice bucket. My advice is to talk to your room steward about your personal preferences. Nobody can read your mind - communicate.:)

I got off the Pride three weeks ago. I was able to talk to my room steward the first day. He checked my suite twice a day. By mutual agreement, he did a general cleanup in the morning. In the evening, he spent more time in the suite. This was when he did the incredible towel creations. The only thing that I asked to be done special was to always have ice in the ice bucket. My advice is to talk to your room steward about your personal preferences. Nobody can read your mind - communicate.:)

Excellent!

We were asked last month on Triumph whether we wants am or pm service. We weren't shown a card.

And your answer was? If you wanted twice a day, I hope you said that. If not, shame on you for not standing up for yourself and expressing your needs.

I think people keep missing the point that Carnival is trying to please their customers. Many people are happy (and it's what they truly want and feel they need) with only once a day service so that's why they ask. As far as another poster that said their steward didn't look too happy when they requested it twice a day....it's possible you were only reading into their reaction what you were predisposed to want to see.

So it seems that this exact same issue was discussed on another board. However, rather than go for weeks and months on supposition and guess work the other 'C' line actually answered their concerns directly. Makes you wonder:

Originally Posted by "C" Cruises View Post

"We have been testing out a new model for stateroom service on three ships, where the sections for the Stateroom Attendants are now much smaller. Stateroom attendants now have fewer staterooms to service and can engage in enhanced personal service to their guests. With the new model, 90% of Assistant Stateroom Attendants have been promoted to the Stateroom Attendant position, the remainder will follow with training. We are not losing any crew with this change. We have also updated uniforms and cleaning trollies for a more modern and efficient style. Luggage operation will also be faster, and more structured as the Stateroom attendants have fewer bags to move.

We have NOT discontinued evening turn down service. We will be rolling out this new model fleet wide through the fall.

We believe this change will offer our guests more personalized care during their vacation and our crew now has more opportunity for advancement, as Attendants instead of Assistants."

Imagine that! An actual answer from a cruise line on their changes!

We were on the Dream last week and were given the card by our steward. It's a check the box card with the option of morning or evening cleaning and there was no box for both. It also contained boxes for any extras you might need, like extra blankets or towels. Our steward did give us his personal card with his number and told us to call him if we needed anything.

As far as another poster that said their steward didn't look too happy when they requested it twice a day....it's possible you were only reading into their reaction what you were predisposed to want to see.

I didn't expect to see anything as there shouldn't have been a reaction by him.

It kind of took me by surprise when he asked, so when I told him twice, he made a face, like I was burdening him. To be honest, I think he was pissed when I said both.

I know what that face looks like, I have a teenage daughter.

And your answer was? If you wanted twice a day, I hope you said that. If not, shame on you for not standing up for yourself and expressing your needs.

I think people keep missing the point that Carnival is trying to please their customers. Many people are happy (and it's what they truly want and feel they need) with only once a day service so that's why they ask. As far as another poster that said their steward didn't look too happy when they requested it twice a day....it's possible you were only reading into their reaction what you were predisposed to want to see.

Surely if people "truly want" *less* service on their cruise they can just use the Do Not Disturb sign?

FWIW, I'm the OP of this thread. I've never sailed with CCL, only once with X (too boring for me). My current default line is NCL, but they keep making annoying changes (faster than other cruise lines do). My "angle" in posting this, as it were, is that I'm sure other cruise lines will cut back on room servicing now that Carnival has started the trend, and I'm one of those people who truly loves coming back to a clean cabin and fresh towels at night.

I've been assuming NCL would be the first to follow suit, but I was surprised to see the rumors start on X instead. (And for what it's worth, I think it's a little crazy that the X customers seemed to believe the social media reassurance that it was just a misunderstanding. These cutbacks ALWAYS start as rumors and then eventually become reality.)

And the really short version is: I cruise on NCL in October and I'm just kind of counting down the days to see if this thing spreads.

(When I'm on vacation I want someone else to cook and clean, because I've done enough of both in my life. It is what it is.)

Edited by AdoraBelle

We were on the Dream last week and were given the card by our steward. It's a check the box card with the option of morning or evening cleaning and there was no box for both. It also contained boxes for any extras you might need, like extra blankets or towels. Our steward did give us his personal card with his number and told us to call him if we needed anything.

Did you check just one box, or both of the morning and evening boxes?

Edited by RjayB
clarification

Did you check just one box, or both of the morning and evening boxes?

Just the one, as part of his explanation was to choose one or the other. We ended up choosing the evening, because it worked better for us. I will say on port days though that he cleaned twice a day and we didn't even ask him to clean while we were away. We'd come back to find the room nice and clean and he still gave us turn down service in the evening.

On our Victory cruise in April we did not see the steward the first day - on the second day I finally tracked him down (about 11am).. I asked him about the am/pm service and also asked him was there a card I had to fill out for my request - he said, "Oh yes, I have one for you" and he left and came back with it.

IMG_2617.jpg

Edited by Kel040

I had the same card. No where does it say you can't select both. Did you?

I want that card, because "both" was not a choice on ours or I would have checked it. I'm a neat freak and can't stand an unmade bed. My hubby had to stop me from making the bed and remind me we were on vacation. :D