HMC Cabana Question

Rockfan2

The $19.95 clamshell is a fabric pull-up cover that shades two loungers. It's yours for the entire day, and if you get there early enough you can show the attendant where you would like yours placed.

Edited by cp556

On the subject of Half Moon Cay, how crowded is it when there are two ships sharing it? We were the only ship last time, and the weather wasn't great so it wasn't crowded at all.

We don't want a cabana, just a clamshell. Is there a mad scramble for them early in the day? (I will pay in advance, but I know I can't reserve a specific place)

Pull your loungers under a tree in the shade...for free!

There were lots of loungers in the shade on Grand Turk, but with all the cabanas, it didn't look like there was an easy way to drag loungers into the shade. Do you need to go farther down the beach?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

On the subject of Half Moon Cay, how crowded is it when there are two ships sharing it? We were the only ship last time, and the weather wasn't great so it wasn't crowded at all.

We don't want a cabana, just a clamshell. Is there a mad scramble for them early in the day? (I will pay in advance, but I know I can't reserve a specific place)

It's crazy when 2 ships are there. I really hate getting off the ship on crowd so I wait a while. I think I got over there at around 11. It was brutal trying to get one set up and even find one for that matter. I'd never rent one again even though it's cheap. There was only one ship there that day as I recall.

How do you claim your clamshell?

To claim your clamshell, you find one of the assembly guys near the empty clamshells and give him your reservation card (it should be in a pink envelope on your stateroom desk on Embarkation Day if you purchased online).

The clamshell reservation card has the 11:00 AM NLT printed on the card.

I learned the hard way after sleeping late, having breakfast, and then heading for HMC on the 11:30 tender only to find all of the clamshells occupied. One of the HMC workers pointed out the claiming time on my card.

The strut for the clamshell is almost always behind it. You can simply lift the front of the clamshell and pop the strut in place. Then, when the attendant comes by, give him or her your excursion receipt. It's easier than trying to track down an attendant.

When we have been to HMC with another ship, we stay on board our ship.

We made the mistake a few years ago of going ashore when 2 ships were there. One Vista and one Signature ship. It was horrible. People everywhere. Long lines for the BBQ.

I was afraid of something like that. We're looking at the same combination, Oosterdam and Eurodam. We tend to be early risers. I'm thinking we'll catch an early tender, have a stroll, maybe wade or a quick swim and then go back to the ship and enjoy the peace and quiet. We'll be in a Neptune for that cruise. How does priority tendering work for HMC?

How does priority tendering work for HMC?

Rather than reporting to the designated room for picking up tender tickets, those with priority head directly to the tender boarding area and get in line.

If you are among the first to board the tender, then there will be a long wait while the tender fills---it is quite large (unless you're on a ship using its own tenders, when another ship is there).

I was afraid of something like that. We're looking at the same combination, Oosterdam and Eurodam. We tend to be early risers. I'm thinking we'll catch an early tender, have a stroll, maybe wade or a quick swim and then go back to the ship and enjoy the peace and quiet. We'll be in a Neptune for that cruise. How does priority tendering work for HMC?

It's been a bit of a mess when I've been there. They have used the island tenders for my last several visits there. In those cases no one needs tickets so you can imagine what happens. People are backed up the stairs and then no one has priority. I know others will say they haven't experienced that but it's been that way on my last several visits.

Rather than reporting to the designated room for picking up tender tickets, those with priority head directly to the tender boarding area and get in line.

If you are among the first to board the tender, then there will be a long wait while the tender fills---it is quite large (unless you're on a ship using its own tenders, when another ship is there).

Last time, on Westerdam, we used the island tenders. But the weather was poor, and we went late, so there were no tickets or long line and they didn't bother to fill the tender. I remember a long time to fill the tender for the return trip, though. Ironically, about 20 minutes before we sailed, the clouds left, the sky was blue and the water was dazzlingly turquoise. :rolleyes:

It's been a bit of a mess when I've been there. They have used the island tenders for my last several visits there. In those cases no one needs tickets so you can imagine what happens. People are backed up the stairs and then no one has priority. I know others will say they haven't experienced that but it's been that way on my last several visits.

If tendering turns out to be hideous, we'll skip it. We have Grand Turk with no other ship the next day, and we'll make that our beach morning.

I think the crowd situation with two ships depends a lot on the weather. If the morning starts out dark and/or threatening rain a lot more people decide to stay on the ships. We were there with two Vista ships and it wasn't crowded at all on the beach all morning, then as the weather got better the crowds started to come in around noon.

How do I find out if there will be more than one ship at HMC the day we are there?
http://www.cruisetimetables.com shows only the Westerdam there on Feb 26

Edited by jtl513

I think the crowd situation with two ships depends a lot on the weather. If the morning starts out dark and/or threatening rain a lot more people decide to stay on the ships. We were there with two Vista ships and it wasn't crowded at all on the beach all morning, then as the weather got better the crowds started to come in around noon.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com shows only the Westerdam there on Feb 26

Thanks for the link!