Locked in Escape Public Bathroom?

sctexan

I saw a post on another site that shall not be named and starts with an f. The poster posted this:

Hello , on are Dec 12/19th some how my sister got trapped in a restroom . She was the only person in it and the lights went out , it was pitch black and she panicked. She could not get the lock to unlock and the door to open. She was in there for 15 mins pounding for help. Eventually another passenger entered and the lights came back on. When she told us about it we went to investigate it. When we opened the bathroom door there was another lady yelling " THE LIGHTS WENT OUT ". We reported it to guest services. They sent some candy to the room For the rest of the cruise the restroom doors were propped open. I know it's a new ship but it affected my sister for days. Just a heads up ( no pun) bring you cell phone flash light were ever you go

Several people asked whether the locks for the public bathrooms were electronic therefore locking said sister in the bathroom or if she simply couldn't find the lock because it was pitch black in the bathroom. I absolutely do not relish being locked in a bathroom so I'm trying to figure out what exactly he meant by the above. Anyone who can give me first hand knowledge of how the bathroom stalls lock I will appreciate greatly! :D

If the lights are on a motion detector (never seen this on a ship though), just wave your hand above the top of the stall, or open the door of the stall momentarily to bring them back on again.

I saw a post on another site that shall not be named and starts with an f. The poster posted this:

Several people asked whether the locks for the public bathrooms were electronic therefore locking said sister in the bathroom or if she simply couldn't find the lock because it was pitch black in the bathroom. I absolutely do not relish being locked in a bathroom so I'm trying to figure out what exactly he meant by the above. Anyone who can give me first hand knowledge of how the bathroom stalls lock I will appreciate greatly! :D

If the lights are on a motion detector (never seen this on a ship though), just wave your hand above the top of the stall, or open the door of the stall momentarily to bring them back on again.

But the stall locks are your typical stall locks found everywhere, right? Not electronic? I still can't figure out how in the heck she was "locked" in the bathroom for 15 minutes. :eek:

Sounds about right for a typical Facebook user... can't find their way out of a bathroom stall... :cool:

That made me laugh! Makes me think of the old saying about pouring a certain liquid out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel. :p

I would not be surprised if the locks were electronic or on some type of motion detector and I noticed on my recent Getaway cruise that the toilets in the public restrooms did not seem to flush UNTIL you unlocked the bathroom door. I found that a bit strange to say the least!:eek:

Same on the Escape as far as toilets not flushing until you unlocked the door last week! I found it odd also but never noticed it when I was on the Getaway lol.

I've been on both Escape and Getaway, and don't remember seeing anything electronic that could lock a stall. But, this is by far, the funniest thread I've been in for while. Thank you for this! I don't even want to know why she was in the stall long enough for the lights to out. :eek:

I think the funniest thing is that the girl was stuck for 15 minutes: I mean whenever I have been to the public toilets on a cruise ships there is normally a queue, or at the very least a steady stream of people :D

I got trapped in the toilet on the Breakaway and was rescued after a few minutes by a kind person who pointed out I needed to push the door from the inside, not pull it :D :rolleyes:

I had the lights go out on me a couple times on the Escape. It was pitch black, and pretty funny. I waved by arms and they came back on. I'm thinking she probably just couldn't figure out how to unlock the door in the dark, and not that it somehow automatically locked.

The main doors to the bathroom are key locked so they can be closed down during severe noro outbreaks or in case of violent biological discharge.

I do think they have motion lights in there.

As far as doors, a lot of the newer sensors for autoflush toilets are aimed at the door instead of the user, to avoid premature flushing. No idea if this is the case because of the vacumn toilets used.

Same issue with the little stalls in the Studio cabins. If you don't move, the lights go out after a while. Of course I guess they figure you're in there to have a different kind of movement so you're covered!:eek: