Klein Bonaire Snorkel - guided vs independent?

banditoo

Will be in Bonaire for a day early March and I plan to go to Klein Bonaire to snorkel. I note the snorkel tour operators such as Woodwind and Sea Cow mention 2 snorkel stops and I have read about the water taxi option for snorkeling off the beach. Can anyone who has done either or both comment on whether the guided snorkel tours access different or better sites or do they snorkel at the exact same place people access from the beach on Klein Bonaire? I am an avid snorkeler so want to max on snorkel time and quality (hopefully some nice corals as well as fish). Hubby will be unlikely to even go in the water. Thanks in advance!

Will be in Bonaire for a day early March and I plan to go to Klein Bonaire to snorkel. I note the snorkel tour operators such as Woodwind and Sea Cow mention 2 snorkel stops and I have read about the water taxi option for snorkeling off the beach. Can anyone who has done either or both comment on whether the guided snorkel tours access different or better sites or do they snorkel at the exact same place people access from the beach on Klein Bonaire? I am an avid snorkeler so want to max on snorkel time and quality (hopefully some nice corals as well as fish). Hubby will be unlikely to even go in the the end owater. Thanks in advance!

Drop off point for water taxi and tour operators is the same. Because of the rock formation you can only get in at one spot on the beach and than drift snorkel back to where tour operator or water taxi will pick you up. By the way you have to wear vest if you're not strong swimmer. After you get behind rocks there is no way to get back to the beach and you'll have to drift all the way to the end of the riff. Klein Bonaire is inhabited island without any facilities. You'll love it.

Drop off point for water taxi and tour operators is the same. Because of the rock formation you can only get in at one spot on the beach and than drift snorkel back to where tour operator or water taxi will pick you up. By the way you have to wear vest if you're not strong swimmer. After you get behind rocks there is no way to get back to the beach and you'll have to drift all the way to the end of the riff. Klein Bonaire is inhabited island without any facilities. You'll love it.

Thank you for your reply. That is great to know as I was not having luck with tour operators (either all booked up, not going or contracted to the cruise line). Will do the water taxi. I am a very strong swimmer and experienced snorkeler. I will have my own gear and am good to swim or drift for hours without getting out. :)

Thank you for your reply. That is great to know as I was not having luck with tour operators (either all booked up, not going or contracted to the cruise line). Will do the water taxi. I am a very strong swimmer and experienced snorkeler. I will have my own gear and am good to swim or drift for hours without getting out. :)

Great choice. Good return is the taxi service we've been using for our trips.

http://www.goodreturnbonaire.com/

Great choice. Good return is the taxi service we've been using for our trips.

http://www.goodreturnbonaire.com/

Don't know about water taxi but we did Woodwind snorkel which was best snorkel tour we ever have done and usually do at least one or two per cruise/vacation. Saw people snorkeling from beach and did not look inviting to me at all. VERY strong currents here and also was pretty rough the day we did it in 2015. Woodwind went two different places and picked you up after you drifted quite a way. Some people still had trouble getting back to boat because of currents and waves so they pulled in closer. Also they have underwater photographer who makes a disc and price very reasonable. We absolutely loved it and highly recommend to all. They are the only snorkel tour ever taken where all types and sizes of masks and fins are available and she fits each person individually. Who knew I need a "small" mask? Also have the fully enclosed masks which some inexperienced people used and seemed to like. Great food/drinks too! The people snorkeling from beach didn't seem to be able to get fully out to where we were snorkeling and one area wasn't even within sight of them.

Jane

• 5 months later...

Been to Bonaire on land vacations numerous times. Only way to get to Klein Bonaire is by boat. If you don't take a tour, then you must let the water taxi drop you in the water for a drift snorkel down to the beach. If you wait to get to the beach on Klein before you snorkel you won't see anything.

The island is barren...not any shade on the beach or even a rest room. Water taxi returns for pickup about every 3 hours. So take sunscreen.

This is an amazing drift snorkel...have done it several times and it's the best we've ever been on and we've snorkeled Hawaii and all over the Caribbean. Usually you will see at least 1 turtle and the reef is living and spectacular.

• 1 year later...

Just returned from a cruise to ABC islands and used Woodwind Snorkeling. They were truly outstanding! So knowledgeable, helpful and made sure beginners to experts were totally in their comfort zones. A-1 operation, and the food and drinks weren’t bad either! By far, our most memorable time on cruise.

Woodwind was already booked up by the time we booked our cruise for last December. We went with Sea Cow through Princess. It was a great excursion. The guides were great. DH decided to stay on the boat after the first snorkeling stop as did a few other people. They got to start enjoying the rum punch early.

Our excursion was the second one of the afternoon. We got a beautiful sunset on the way back to the Royal Princess. We had time before our excursion to walk around the town area.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been on a cruise for 12 years and now hubby and I are going to ABC islands next February- I am now 63 and not a great swimmer. I have snorkeled in Grand Cayman and Cozumel in the past, but I’m not sure I am physically ok for Bonaire- any thoughts on it being only for more advanced snorkelers? I would love to see the wildlife but don’t want to be rescued 😜

I have not been on a cruise for 12 years and now hubby and I are going to ABC islands next February- I am now 63 and not a great swimmer. I have snorkeled in Grand Cayman and Cozumel in the past, but I’m not sure I am physically ok for Bonaire- any thoughts on it being only for more advanced snorkelers? I would love to see the wildlife but don’t want to be rescued 😜

Wear life jacket and you'll be fine.

I have not been on a cruise for 12 years and now hubby and I are going to ABC islands next February- I am now 63 and not a great swimmer. I have snorkeled in Grand Cayman and Cozumel in the past, but I’m not sure I am physically ok for Bonaire- any thoughts on it being only for more advanced snorkelers? I would love to see the wildlife but don’t want to be rescued [emoji12]

Both SeaCow & Woodwind are excellent and will assist beginners (or those that haven't done it in years). When we did the drift snorkel in Bonaire it was 45 minutes in the water-at times a bit rough which, if you would be uncomfortable doing this, I'm not sure I'd recommend it for you-would you panic or be calm? I guess only you can decide. Maybe a drift snorkel is not something you should attempt first but maybe just a more casual, calm snorkel and see how you feel.

• 4 months later...
Been to Bonaire on land vacations numerous times. Only way to get to Klein Bonaire is by boat. If you don't take a tour, then you must let the water taxi drop you in the water for a drift snorkel down to the beach. If you wait to get to the beach on Klein before you snorkel you won't see anything.

The island is barren...not any shade on the beach or even a rest room. Water taxi returns for pickup about every 3 hours. So take sunscreen.

This is an amazing drift snorkel...have done it several times and it's the best we've ever been on and we've snorkeled Hawaii and all over the Caribbean. Usually you will see at least 1 turtle and the reef is living and spectacular.

If the water taxi drops you in the water for the drift snorkel to the beach, how did you carry your stuff (towels, clothing, etc)?

• 3 weeks later...