Day of Departure in San Juan--What to do with luggage?

hrock

Hi! We are cruising from San Juan in September. We don't fly out until 2:30 that afternoon, so we would like to find something fun to do between getting off the ship and getting on the airplane. I am mostly wondering about storing our luggage. San Juan looks fun and small enough for a self-guided walking tour, but I don't want to drag my suitcase everywhere. Any suggestions? Thanks!

One option might be to take an excursion through the cruiseline you are sailing on and they will take your luggage to airport for you.

Also keep in mind , you really may not have that much time. You will still need to be at the airport 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours before your flight. Depending how many cruise ships there is that day can really make the airport checking in time long. We have flew from there a few times and doesn't really seem to be best run operation.

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

We simply spoke to the tour operators outside the terminal . They took about 12 people - gave us a guided tour and dropped us off so we could wander shop have lunch etc. Kept our belongings safe in the van . Then took us all to the airport . It was perfect . Reasonable too !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We simply spoke to the tour operators outside the terminal . They took about 12 people - gave us a guided tour and dropped us off so we could wander shop have lunch etc. Kept our belongings safe in the van . Then took us all to the airport . It was perfect . Reasonable too !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is a good idea. another option is Barrachina's in OSJ will hold your luggage so you can walk around. i am sure they expect you to buy something there to do it.

But I think Brockmom's option sounds good. We always have early flights so never have to worry about it.

Found this on the airport's website:

Does the airport have a luggage storage service?

Yes, the Baggage Services Cooperative is responsible for storing your luggage. For more information you can contact (787) 791-3371 or write an email to: lacooperativa1974@gmail.com

Found this on the airport's website:

Does the airport have a luggage storage service?

Yes, the Baggage Services Cooperative is responsible for storing your luggage. For more information you can contact (787) 791-3371 or write an email to: lacooperativa1974@gmail.com

Sort of. First it runs about $10 a bag. Second, the room isn't manned all the time and you may have to wait for luggage. Third, you would have to get to the airport, drop the bags, and get somewhere else (cab to closest beach is around $15 from there).

We used the service once because American wouldn't let us check in luggage until 4 hours before the flight but would let us check in so we could use the airline club (nowhere to sit and almost nothing to eat outside of security). I went back outside to check in the bags and it took 45 minutes before the luggage office was open again. We would NOT do this again. If you really want to do this make sure you run the bags through the agricultural xray before storing them - the lines for ag were out the terminal door when I retrieved the bags.

Airport luggage storage would be a bad idea in my opinion.... let alone LeeW's poor experience posted above

$20 cab, $20 to store 2 bags, $20 back to Old San Juan, another $20 back to airport = $80 for about 2 hours of walking around Old San Juan on your own

That is a good idea. another option is Barrachina's in OSJ will hold your luggage so you can walk around. i am sure they expect you to buy something there to do it.

This is likely the very best option possible

Type "Barrachina" into the search tool at the top of the Royal Caribbean forum... you'll find many experienced CC'ers use this service with them. 10min cab ride for probably $15... prob equivalent luggage fee (or purchase of some sort).... more time in San Juan... and then only one $20 1/2 hour cab ride to airport = $55 for closer to 3 hours of Old San Juan.

I'm interested in where Brockmom walked out after a cruise and hired services from vendors as I never noticed this from Pan American, I've only done the taxis.

Is this Pan American Pier? or Old San Juan Pier?

I'm just going to guess it was the Pan American "terminal" is there even a real "terminal at the old San Juan pier ? Perhaps there is and since I've only day ported there (Old Town Pier) I didn't notice it.

I'm just going to guess it was the Pan American "terminal" is there even a real "terminal at the old San Juan pier ? Perhaps there is and since I've only day ported there (Old Town Pier) I didn't notice it.

Old San Juan is a terminal. CCL and others embark/disembark there