Area around Port

bluecruisin

We have always just walked right through and taken the bus to the waterside village.Thinking of just walking around the port area for an hour or so this time. Any place to sit and have a drink? Anywhere there to get a massage? Any interesting Shops? Thanks for any help!!

The port area was cute, there was several restaurants and a large pool (salt water) with a swim up bar. Lots of the typical cruise ship shops around. None of it is particularly authentic, but you could easily spend the day in that area. I didn't notice anywhere for massages, but I may have missed it.

We have always just walked right through and taken the bus to the waterside village.Thinking of just walking around the port area for an hour or so this time. Any place to sit and have a drink? Anywhere there to get a massage? Any interesting Shops? Thanks for any help!!

Fine to spend a couple of hours but expensive to eat and drink.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this on another board, but it's applicable here too:

clear.png?emoji-confused-1977We just returned from a repositioning cruise on the Vision OTS. One stop was Costa Maya. We use to love this port, a really relaxing day at the pool and beach right at the cruise port. WOW what a change!! There were at least 4 ships there at the same time, two really big ships, one RCCL and one NCL. The port itself now reminds me of the hustle and bustle of Nassau. No more outdoor theater for folkloric shows, now everything is shops. The area was "body to body" just to walk around.The pool is still there, and if you can get to it, you're doing better than we did. What a disappointment. From now on, we have to plan to be anywhere else but in the port area. Ah, progress!

I posted this on another board, but it's applicable here too:

clear.png?emoji-confused-1977We just returned from a repositioning cruise on the Vision OTS. One stop was Costa Maya. We use to love this port, a really relaxing day at the pool and beach right at the cruise port. WOW what a change!! There were at least 4 ships there at the same time, two really big ships, one RCCL and one NCL. The port itself now reminds me of the hustle and bustle of Nassau. No more outdoor theater for folkloric shows, now everything is shops. The area was "body to body" just to walk around.The pool is still there, and if you can get to it, you're doing better than we did. What a disappointment. From now on, we have to plan to be anywhere else but in the port area. Ah, progress!

I would never recommend the area by the port but perhaps it was especially bad right now with the extra ships displaced from the hurricane hit itineraries?

• 1 month later...

:confused:We will be there in Feb '18. #2 stop of 3. I am disabled & can not participate in most excursions. My wife is doing excursions on stops 1 & 3. I thought we might spend the day just being together & kicking back in the port area. Goog idea or not?

:confused:We will be there in Feb '18. #2 stop of 3. I am disabled & can not participate in most excursions. My wife is doing excursions on stops 1 & 3. I thought we might spend the day just being together & kicking back in the port area. Goog idea or not?

I think it would be a good idea and you could easily spend a few hours there. There is a pool and loungers and seems to have had several updates which I look forward to checking out myself in a few weeks! Food and drink used to be very expensive as I recall.

Here is a recent review from Mitsugirly

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2568508

Start at post#428 (about page 20) and continue for several posts to give you an idea of the port and what is available. The descriptions are a little confusing as there are comparisons with what it was like - (it appears to have had many updates in recent years) but you will get the general idea. I have also seen a photo of a snorkel area elsewhere that you may enjoy watching.

As you will see from the photos, the pier is very long before you get to the shops - I don’t know if that would be a problem for you?