Line Crossing Ceremonies

Capt_BJ

Altho we've taken many cruises our next, Into the Midnight Sun on Viking Ocean (VO) will be the first to 'cross a line'.

Being a Shellback and Golden Dragon (did/got these while in USCG) I look forward to becoming a Bluenose (crossed the Arctic Circle)

Does VO participate in this tradition? I know it won't be like days ago when we did these ceremonies on Navy/CG vessels (today much of what went on is considered hazing) but I saw one VO review that said something happened. Is any sort of a certificate given out (available for purchase?)

I'll bring my own blank in a worst case ... I'd hope the Master could take a minute to fill in the details and sign ...

800px-blue_nose_cert.jpg

In 2016, the Bluenose Ceremony was done on our way south over the Arctic Circle and included a dunk in ice cold water for all participants. DH and his brother went into the pool together (while the wives stood there shaking our heads). I saw a video of the 2017 ceremony and it was completely different with a crew member taking a ceremonial dunk on behalf of all the pax.

And certificates were waiting for us all when we returned from dinner.

On our June 2017 cruise, there was no fish kissing, except I think the Captain kissed one. However, those who wanted to participate in the crossing ceremony had to line up and have ice poured down their backs. The Captain and some of the Viking entertainment folks were there to do the honors. Participants got a blue sticker for their nose and a certificate. Many people participated; many just watched. No charge. Get your camera ready, cruising partners! My husband was disappointed that I didn't get a picture of him shivering.

Edited by roothy123

• 4 weeks later...
In 2016, the Bluenose Ceremony was done on our way south over the Arctic Circle and included a dunk in ice cold water for all participants. DH and his brother went into the pool together (while the wives stood there shaking our heads). I saw a video of the 2017 ceremony and it was completely different with a crew member taking a ceremonial dunk on behalf of all the pax.

And certificates were waiting for us all when we returned from dinner.

We past the Equator on VikingWC and we had to kiss the live (dead) fish then jump into the pool, swim to the other side and drink some vile high octane brew. It was really fun and both Heather (Wonderful Cruise Director) in a VERY NICE DRESS and our Great Captain where great sports and jumped in after kissing the fish and drinking that brew . Everyone had a time, they will never forget the adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We past the Equator on VikingWC and we had to kiss the live (dead) fish then jump into the pool, swim to the other side and drink some vile high octane brew. It was really fun and both Heather (Wonderful Cruise Director) in a VERY NICE DRESS and our Great Captain where great sports and jumped in after kissing the fish and drinking that brew . Everyone had a time, they will never forget the adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And we got two certificates for this Great Event and also being ON THE FIRST TRANSIT OF ANY VIKING SHIP INTO THE PACIFIC OCEAN VIA THE PANAMA CANAL! Pretty cool. I will frame and put then into my MAN CAVE for all who enter to see!