RCCL Hidden Pricing?

Folks,

Veteran cruiser, DCL gold CC (although we're not "Disney people", just love cruising with them), and all the good stuff here.

We found a fairly good deal for a WC 7-night itinerary on the Freedom out of PC for our family (2 adults, 2 kids under 10). It's roughly $700 less than a DCL on the same route (more-or-less) and same dates. Having never cruised on RCCL before I've done some research the last couple of days and I've found most complaints about RCCL being around basically two things:

1. nickel and dimeing (i.e. it's not as all-inclusive as DCL is)

2. disembarkation process being even more chaotic than DCL is (and trust me I hate DCL's disembarkation process with every fiber of my being).

So, instead of reviews FUD and generalities, I wonder if someone could be kind enough to provide concrete things that DCL comes included with and how much am I expected to pay for those add-ons with RCCL. Also, would much appreciate any insights as to why some many people seem to think the disembarkation process at PC is so chaotic (more so than DCL, apparently). Thanks in advance.

I've never had any issues with disembarkation at Port Canaveral, in fact it's always seemed to be very well organized. This has been true leaving Mariner, Sovereign, Monarch, Freedom, and Enchantment.

Royal charges extra for soda. A single 12 oz can costs $2.88. You can also purchase an unlimited soda package for $4.50 per day (under age 18) and $6.50 per day (18 and over), plus 15% tip.

Edited by clarea

Folks,

Veteran cruiser, DCL gold CC (although we're not "Disney people", just love cruising with them), and all the good stuff here.

We found a fairly good deal for a WC 7-night itinerary on the Freedom out of PC for our family (2 adults, 2 kids under 10). It's roughly $700 less than a DCL on the same route (more-or-less) and same dates. Having never cruised on RCCL before I've done some research the last couple of days and I've found most complaints about RCCL being around basically two things:

1. nickel and dimeing (i.e. it's not as all-inclusive as DCL is)

2. disembarkation process being even more chaotic than DCL is (and trust me I hate DCL's disembarkation process with every fiber of my being).

So, instead of reviews FUD and generalities, I wonder if someone could be kind enough to provide concrete things that DCL comes included with and how much am I expected to pay for those add-ons with RCCL. Also, would much appreciate any insights as to why some many people seem to think the disembarkation process at PC is so chaotic (more so than DCL, apparently). Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't it be easier just to ask about the things that matter to you on Disney that are included and ask if it's the same on Royal? Like "My latte is included on Disney. Yes or no on Royal." A lot of us have no idea what's included on Disney but we know down to the last nickel what included on Royal. You might get more of the information you want if you phrase yourself differently.

Disney allows you to take a bottle of liquor on board, correct? RCL allows 2 bottles of wine only per stateroom. There is the charge for soda mentioned above as well. As far as nickel and dining on everything else I can't think of an honest straight comparison. DCL charges for signature dining as does Royal. Royal just has more of those options on the bigger ships.

I think sometimes it seems like RCL nickels and dimes more because they offer more extras. LIke candy shops, specialty ice cream and coffees, etc. Just my .02.

I would take that $700 and check out Royal in a heartbeat. I've done both and actually prefer Royal but that doesn't mean I wouldn't do Disney again. I might take that $700 and if I wanted spend it on specialty restaurants, drink packages, etc. You will not feel nickel and dimed that way, not spend extra over what you were planning with DCL and you will actually get more. Again..just my .02.

Also what Disney ship are we comparing to the Freedom? If it is Magic or Wonder I'd get on the freedom just because I honestly think there is just more to do. I haven't been on the newer disney ships. If your kids have already done Disney then they have met the characters, etc. The freedom is going to have the flow rider, rock climbing, ice skating, etc. That will be a totally new experience for them.

Debbie

Edited by debbs0723

Wouldn't it be easier just to ask about the things that matter to you on Disney that are included and ask if it's the same on Royal? Like "My latte is included on Disney. Yes or no on Royal." A lot of us have no idea what's included on Disney but we know down to the last nickel what included on Royal. You might get more of the information you want if you phrase yourself differently.

Fair enough.

DCL includes all meals, all MDRs and casual dining, all soft drinks, water, juice and non-espresso coffe (self-served and at restaurants). Room service. Casual Dining. All Shows. All sports facilities (except golf simulator), towels to take with you at PoC (no charge even if you lose them, actually). That's what comes to mind.

Disney allows you to take a bottle of liquor on board, correct? RCL allows 2 bottles of wine only per stateroom. There is the charge for soda mentioned above as well. As far as nickel and dining on everything else I can't think of an honest straight comparison. DCL charges for signature dining as does Royal. Royal just has more of those options on the bigger ships.

I think sometimes it seems like RCL nickels and dimes more because they offer more extras. LIke candy shops, specialty ice cream and coffees, etc. Just my .02.

I would take that $700 and check out Royal in a heartbeat. I've done both and actually prefer Royal but that doesn't mean I wouldn't do Disney again. I might take that $700 and if I wanted spend it on specialty restaurants, drink packages, etc. You will not feel nickel and dimed that way, not spend extra over what you were planning with DCL and you will actually get more. Again..just my .02.

Also what Disney ship are we comparing to the Freedom? If it is Magic or Wonder I'd get on the freedom just because I honestly think there is just more to do. I haven't been on the newer disney ships. If your kids have already done Disney then they have met the characters, etc. The freedom is going to have the flow rider, rock climbing, ice skating, etc. That will be a totally new experience for them.

Debbie

Thanks Debbie. This reply is reassuring. 👍

Fair enough.

DCL includes all meals, all MDRs and casual dining, all soft drinks, water, juice and non-espresso coffe (self-served and at restaurants). Room service. Casual Dining. All Shows. All sports facilities (except golf simulator), towels to take with you at PoC (no charge even if you lose them, actually). That's what comes to mind.

Royal includes juice drinks at breakfast. However, fresh squeezed juices are extra.

On Freedom, there are 3 extra cost restaurants: Chops: $35, Portofino: $20 or $25, and Johnny Rockets: $6.

There are 4 food venues that are no extra charge: Windjammer (buffet), Main Dining Room, Cafe Promenade, and Sorrento's.

Room service is free, except from midnight to 5am when they charge $4 per order.

Edited by clarea

Royal includes juice drinks at breakfast. However, fresh squeezed juices are extra.

On Freedom, there are 3 extra cost restaurants: Chops: $35, Portofino: $20 or $25, and Johnny Rockets: $6.

There are 4 food venues that are no extra charge: Windjammer (buffet), Main Dining Room, Cafe Promenade, and Sorrento's.

Room service is free, except from midnight to 5am when they charge $4 per order.

Cool, thanks. How about the ice skating, wall climbing, surf thingy and the fitness center? Are those extra?

Cool, thanks. How about the ice skating, wall climbing, surf thingy and the fitness center? Are those extra?

Usage of equipment in the fitness center is free, but there are some classes that are extra cost. Similar with Flowrider, usage is free, but lessons are extra.

Edited by clarea

All free unless you want to take an actual class in the fitness center, those are extra.

You will need long pants and socks to go ice skating and socks to use the climbing wall. They provide everything else.

I was on Freedom last summer and had zero issues with debarkation...

Usage of equipment in the fitness center is free, but there are some classes that are extra cost. Similar with Flowrider, usage is free, but lessons are extra.

oh yeah, I'd expect anything that requires extra resources to cost extra. Thanks for clarifying though.

Fair enough.

I think the only items that have not been addressed is shows, all free as of now and towels which is a bit more tricky.

Different ships are doing different things with towels. Some they are handed out as asked for and no charge for not returning. Others they swipe your card when taking them and charge if they are not returned.

You can definitely sail on a RCI ship and not pay a penny over your cruise fare. Whether you want to take part in the additional charge items is purely up to you. Having said that, with kids I would be prepared to spend some.

Another thing that it's not a big deal for most peeps, but would like to know in advance is: at MDR's we've heard RCCL is much more strict about dress code than DCL is, is this true? We're super light packers and usually never bother to bring with us anything beyond slacks and polo shirt for me and maxi-dress style for my wife, jeans and polos for our oldest kid and cute dresses for our youngest.

Another thing that it's not a big deal for most peeps, but would like to know in advance is: at MDR's we've heard RCCL is much more strict about dress code than DCL is, is this true? We're super light packers and usually never bother to bring with us anything beyond slacks and polo shirt for me and maxi-dress style for my wife, jeans and polos for our oldest kid and cute dresses for our youngest.

Royal does not enforce any dress suggestions. About the only thing they might (and I emphasize "might") object to is shorts and tank tops (men) during dinner.

Edited by clarea

Royal does not enforce any dress suggestions. About the only thing they might (and I emphasize "might") object to is shorts and tank tops (men) during dinner.

I like dressing informally, not THAT informally, though :) Again, thanks for clarifying these details.

Just wanted to let you know, that you all will be fine for dinner. Yes, slacks/Polo's are just fine. I think that you should just take a deep breath, go on the cruise and enjoy yourself. I personally believe that the children will absolutely love Freedom of the Seas as there is so much to do. The parents will also love the Freedom...:)

Not sure how loose or strict DCL is about its dress code, but any review of post on here regarding RCI's suggested dress code should convince you that they are not very strict at all, even on formal nights. What you have described as your clothing choices would be perfectly acceptable on RCI.

I am also a gold Castaway club member, sailing for the first time on Royal in March.

Here's the differences I have noticed / read about and encountered so far....

Drinks ( big one for us ) are not included. So for the kids, being able to use Disney' s drink station for free, whenever they wanted ( not having to wait in a line for a bartender to serve them ) will be a big adjustment. I'm trying to imagine how patient the bartenders will be with the kids ....we will see. Although the freestyle machines sound like a great idea ( just not on our ship yet)

Also being able to carry on our beer / alcohol / liquor was alway a big savings . That includes while in port as well... We could always bring our booze back to our room. So if you drink alcohol, and allow the kids to have a lot of pop, then that will be an added expense. Milk and lemonade / regular coffee and tea are apparently free at dinner.

There is only one full service restaurant to dine in that doesn't include an extra fee ( plus the Windjammer which sounds like the self service restaurant like Beach Blanket/ Cabanas cafeteria style ) . I really like the rotational dining on Disney and having three restaurants to dine in with the same server....but I look forward to trying the food on Royal...

Also, I have heard that some activities on board require a waiver to fill out ( which require parental signatures) . Again, I haven't cruised yet, but it can see how this might be an issue as my kids are usually in the clubs and venture out on their own.. Also not sure if there is a fee involved with some of the activities... So far I know it's free to rock climb and use the flowrider.

Also, it sounds as though some of the shows require tickets in order to attend ...

Unlike Disney where you just go to the theatre before or after dinner. Some tickets are available a day or two before the show? Is that right? Like the ice show.

I have heard that the adult entertainment is quite enjoyable and there are a lot of choices on Royal ( unlike Disney... As the Disney ships seem to shut down by midnight!)

Finally, the kids clubs...

I have not heard a lot about organized activities offered ( it sounds more like a hang out place for kids to meet up. Not sure what kind of supervision is available ) . I love the organized outings and activities Disney offers... FLUBBER, PIRATE PARTY etc. But , my boys are older and are really looking forward to trying out this new ship. We are on the Independence of the Sea...

That's all I have for now.

Hope that helps a bit..

Oh edited to add...

The bath products ( that we always received daily- shampoo, conditioner , body wash, cream) are not offered in the standard rooms on Royal. I believe they are offered in some of the suites. There is not split bathrooms either ( will really miss that! ) and I believe the staterooms , the standard ones , are a bit smaller.

Edited by son3cruisers

my kids loved FOS. at the time they were 7 and 9. the ice skaing was highly enjoyed by all, free too.

ben and jerrys was also a cost. special treat one night.

we also did johnny rockets. cool atmosphere.

did not do the drink packages on that cruise. however, since traveled on celebrity (with just DH and loved it), and now back for another RCCL with the kids- will do the bev packages.

we will not do the specialties either on this one. its Grandeur and we don't mind the MDR.

never cruised Disney ,but can answer Freedom of the Seas questions.

I forget to mention that there are other extra cost food venues, such as Ben & Jerry's (also mentioned above) and the Squeeze juice bar on the pool deck.

However, the pool deck has free soft-service ice cream for limited hours daily.

Fair enough.

Everything in red is also included on RCL ships with the exception of a late night (after midnight) service charge for room service.