Walking from Civitavecchia port to train station

epixx

it is still an easy walk to the train station, about 15 minutes without luggage. There is also a city bus(after 8am)

The issue is not the city bus to the station, but the city bus from the station.

When I was there last year, it seemed that everyone arrived back on the same train to make the sailing times of two or more ships.

So lots and lots of people at the bus stop waiting for the last bus, and then a small 50 seater single deck bus turns up.

The issue is not the city bus to the station, but the city bus from the station.

When I was there last year, it seemed that everyone arrived back on the same train to make the sailing times of two or more ships.

So lots and lots of people at the bus stop waiting for the last bus, and then a small 50 seater single deck bus turns up.

I saw that as well, you are right. When we returned from Rome for our port day (B2B), there were many, many people with lots and lots of luggage(they were boarding for the second leg of the cruise) waiting for the bus. I do think many of them ended up missing the ship that day. You cannot arrive in Civitavecchia train station at 3:30 get to ship and board by the time the ship leaves. We helped one woman and mom with their luggage and walked quickly to the shuttle. Later, we saw them on the elevator right before sailing and they said they barely made it before the ramp was pulled up and they said that there were several people who missed the ship. Sure enough the next day in Livorno, we saw several people boarding.

Just got off the Jade. You MUST take a port shuttle, no walking allowed. The shuttle runs continuously and drops you off further than the entrance to the port. Maybe about 1/4 mile? Not sure. But it is still an easy walk to the train station, about 15 minutes without luggage. There is also a city bus(after 8am) and taxis at the drop off point most of the time. The shuttle starts running about 6 am, well you can board it at the port at 6am, it leaves about 30 minutes later. But even if you walk to the train station, you can still make the 7am train to Rome.

If you are walking to port to board the ship, we walked in the entrance and about a block later you are stopped and told to get on a shuttle, which takes you to another shuttle to the ship.

Thanks very much for this update.

Just to clarify, you are saying that, at disembarkation for instance, the shuttles are available for boarding at the ship (dock) at 6am, but that they don't actually start their runs to the drop-off point until ~6:30am?

Thanks very much for this update.

Just to clarify, you are saying that, at disembarkation for instance, the shuttles are available for boarding at the ship (dock) at 6am, but that they don't actually start their runs to the drop-off point until ~6:30am?

Yes, that was our experience twice. On our port day, we wanted to get to Rome asap, got off the ship at 6am, did not leave port until maybe 6:30. I guess they were trying to fill the bus. On diembarkment day, we also left the ship about 6:10(knowing what happened last time) and left about 6:20, but only after one passenger was getting mad at the driver. So, I would not count on leaving before 6:20. They say it is continuous, but, they just leave at whatever time they want, it seemed to me anyway.

Yes, that was our experience twice. On our port day, we wanted to get to Rome asap, got off the ship at 6am, did not leave port until maybe 6:30. I guess they were trying to fill the bus. On diembarkment day, we also left the ship about 6:10(knowing what happened last time) and left about 6:20, but only after one passenger was getting mad at the driver. So, I would not count on leaving before 6:20. They say it is continuous, but, they just leave at whatever time they want, it seemed to me anyway.

Got it, thanks!

I think we will still be OK in making the 7:44am train if we allow for the potential shuttle wait times and the additional time to walk to the train station.

• 2 weeks later...

Where does the train take you to in Rome? - the station called Termini? Is there only one rail line at Civitavecchia? (Our cruise ends there, so we just want to get into town for a couple days before flying home ... no rush.)

Edited by LindaJ+

Where does the train take you to in Rome? - the station called Termini? Is there only one rail line at Civitavecchia? (Our cruise ends there, so we just want to get into town for a couple days before flying home ... no rush.)

Trains depart regularly from the Civitavecchia station (the only one) to Rome. There are several Rome stops, you can pick the one that is most convenient for you -- for example:

San Pietro station if you wish to go to the Vatican, Vatican Museum, Sistine chapel, Castel Sant'Angelo, etc.

Ostiense station if you want to transfer to the metro (same ticket) for a couple couple of stops & alight right at the Colosseum, Forum, & Palatine Hill

Termini is not the most convenient stop but if you are wanting to visit the Galleria Borghese or go to one of the national museums around Termini or start a walk that visits the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and Piazza Navona, it is a good place to get off.

There's a ton of info on using the train (12 euro for a roundtrip ticket plus use of bus & metro in Rome all day) if you do a little reading here....

Great! I'll figure out the best stop once I get a hotel reservation. Would just need one-way, so I'm guessing that's around 6 euro ... a good deal, I say.

A one way fare on a regional train is €4,60 to any of the outer stations and €5 to Termini.

IC and Frecce trains have higher fares, but travel non-stop to Rome.