Walking from Civitavecchia port to train station

epixx

Is it possible now to walk directly from cruise ship to train station without taking the port shuttle? Seems like it might take less time, or am I mistaken?

I believe you have to take the shuttle. In addition, I have heard reports that they have moved the shuttle drop off point further away from the train station.

I dunno if they have moved the drop-off point, but pedestrians are not allowed in the port area.

Shuttles and taxis, possibly private vehicles are about it. Oh...and large trucks!

Shuttles run frequently. You should be able to find out their schedule and plan your trip to the train station accordingly.

I don't think they have a schedule--they usually are waiting by the ships and take off when they are either full or when it doesn't appear that anyone else is needing a ride. I've never waited more than a few minutes. . .

Edited by CathyCruises

I'm pretty sure Hank has reported several times that it is possible to walk through the port in Civitavecchia, and I have no reason to doubt him. Others have posted this as well.

As to whether it would be faster, I think it would depend on where your ship is docked. Each time I've sailed in/out of Civitavecchia, my ship has been a VERY long way from the port entrance -- at least a 30-40 minute walk, I'd think, plus the walk to the train station following that.

I can't see value in walking to/from the port gate to take the train into Rome. The walk would be long and dull even if permitted.

My goal is to get on the first train I can to allow more time in Rome.

The walk from port to station is adequate leg stretching. Save the energy for later in the day.

I can't see value in walking to/from the port gate to take the train into Rome. The walk would be long and dull even if permitted.

My goal is to get on the first train I can to allow more time in Rome.

The walk from port to station is adequate leg stretching. Save the energy for later in the day.

The value is that it can now be as quick to walk from the ship to the station as it is from the NEW drop-off point to the station - all depending on where the ship docks

If you in # 11, no problem, walking, if you are in #23 no way you can walk

2yputeda.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have actually walked from some of the more distant piers (not sure about 23) but it can sometimes amount to about a mile from some of the piers. Unlike many ports like Livorno, the Port of Civitavecchia has done a pretty decent job providing marked walkways between most of the docking areas and the port entrance. Sometimes, when we are not in a hurry we will take the long walk for fun and exercise and leave the free shuttles to others :)

Hank

I should wrote #25 instead of 23 :o

# 25 is where Celebrity usually docks to start a cruise

That's a good point. 25 is the place where cruises tend to start/end from as that's the pier with the large check-in 'tent'. If you're calling in for the day you will be more likely in the area of 11 or 12

The shuttle drop off is by the Fort sort of across from McDonald's. Except for debarkation day, the shuttles at the ships load up and move pretty quickly. It depends if they have to wait for a lot of luggage to be stored under the bus. The attached photo may help.

1759486166_Trainstationwithlabels.jpg.6a022233c1b550da491be3e04edb25b1.jpg

The shuttle drop off is by the Fort sort of across from McDonald's. Except for debarkation day, the shuttles at the ships load up and move pretty quickly. It depends if they have to wait for a lot of luggage to be stored under the bus. The attached photo may help.

Please note they have move the drop of location because of construction

You were NOT allowed to walk, as the port is currently under construction. It was stated that this was due to the construction activities at this time for the restrictions, and they provided shuttle buses that went to a different drop off spot than previously used. This temporary drop off location is further from the train station. Walking at a fast pace it takes about 18 minutes to reach the train station.

Our ship docked at 7AM, we were off the ship by 7:10AM and we caught the first shuttle bus and booked it to the train station got our BIRG tickets and were just able to catch the 7:44am train with about 5 minutes to spare. There are quite a few trains if you do not catch the first one. The trains are extremely crowded at this time of the year. Depending on the number of ships combined with the local passengers.

So, after reading this let me make sure I have this right.

I must first take a bus from the port. How much is it and how do you pay for it? Where do you buy the ticket?

Then you must walk one mile to the train station.

I then buy a train ticket at the station and simply take the next train.

My ship leaves at 7 p.m. which means all aboard at 6:30. What is the latest train you recommend from Rome?

Is it really worth doing all this? Our ship arrives in Civ at 8 a.m.

thanks.

So, after reading this let me make sure I have this right.

I must first take a bus from the port. How much is it and how do you pay for it? Where do you buy the ticket?

Then you must walk one mile to the train station.

I then buy a train ticket at the station and simply take the next train.

My ship leaves at 7 p.m. which means all aboard at 6:30. What is the latest train you recommend from Rome?

Is it really worth doing all this? Our ship arrives in Civ at 8 a.m.

thanks.

Sounds about right.

The port bus from ship to port entrance is free.

You can also buy BIRG tickets from newstands along the walk. Or at the ticket office. Or in the shop at the station.

Validate your ticket in the machine on the wall after you go onto the platform.

Depending on which platform your train is using you may have to cross under the lines.

I would be coming back on a train leaving before 4pm.

Worthwhile and not much trouble at all.

Edited by helpthejuggler

Thanks. Someone on another board suggesting coming back at 4:30. But I think I will take your advice.

That leaves me with roughly 6 hours in Rome, which is fine since I was there for 11 days three years ago as well as in 1982.

We'll just wander around in areas we didn't hit the last time.

• 8 months later...

Resurrecting this older thread.

Does anyone have any recent updates on the construction at the Civitavecchia port? I am curious if the port shuttle bus is still dropping off passengers at the location which is further away from the train station.

Resurrecting this older thread.

Does anyone have any recent updates on the construction at the Civitavecchia port? I am curious if the port shuttle bus is still dropping off passengers at the location which is further away from the train station.

I think a lot of us are curious too. Since so few cruises ships dock there during the winter months, we haven't had a report in ages. My understanding was that this was going to be a long term project, but that could mean anything. (The freeway on ramp closest to our house was due to be open in June of 2013, doesn't look like it will even make December of 2015!)

Just got off the Jade. You MUST take a port shuttle, no walking allowed. The shuttle runs continuously and drops you off further than the entrance to the port. Maybe about 1/4 mile? Not sure. But it is still an easy walk to the train station, about 15 minutes without luggage. There is also a city bus(after 8am) and taxis at the drop off point most of the time. The shuttle starts running about 6 am, well you can board it at the port at 6am, it leaves about 30 minutes later. But even if you walk to the train station, you can still make the 7am train to Rome.

If you are walking to port to board the ship, we walked in the entrance and about a block later you are stopped and told to get on a shuttle, which takes you to another shuttle to the ship.