Specialty dining

Tracik

Hi, all!!

So, just booked the Jade out of Houston a couple of days ago. We will have the specialty dining. She said we get 4 nights. So, there or 5 restaurants. So, which is everyone's favorite not to miss and which was your least favorite?

I don't know about the jade but you won't miss much by skipping the Italian place. For my cruise in February we will be doing Cagneys twice and Teppanyaki twice as that will maximize the value. Then if we decide to do Le Bistro we will just pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, all!!

So, just booked the Jade out of Houston a couple of days ago. We will have the specialty dining. She said we get 4 nights. So, there or 5 restaurants. So, which is everyone's favorite not to miss and which was your least favorite?

Skip Moderno. If you have ever been to a land based Brazilian steakhouse it's like that with far lower quality meat. People always talk up the salad bar at this place, and again it is ok but with far less options than the land based equivalent. Cagney's and Teppanyaki are not to be missed. I would do Cagney's twice. It's fantastic. With the 4th pick French or Italian, which ever you prefer.

6&8

Skip Moderno. If you have ever been to a land based Brazilian steakhouse it's like that with far lower quality meat. People always talk up the salad bar at this place, and again it is ok but with far less options than the land based equivalent. Cagney's and Teppanyaki are not to be missed. I would do Cagney's twice. It's fantastic. With the 4th pick French or Italian, which ever you prefer.

6&8

Maybe you didn't have the picanha at Moderno? Because that is surely good quality and very tasty meat. Most all the meat I had there was almost identical to any Brazilian steakhouse that I have been to (and I have been to a lot as I have Brazilian relatives and been to Brazil many times). I can appreciate that people have different tastes but to say a blanket statement that it is of low quality I think is a little much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on the Jade in June for two weeks and the two best dining options we tried were Cagney's and the Teppanyaki restaurants. There is a wine bar right next to Cagney's and a great place to get a glass of wine if you arrive before your seating time if you get a reservation. And I highly recommend a reservation for Cagney's and Teppanyaki. Both were always full when we dined at them. Of course the Jade was in Venice in June so there was a larger crowd. Might be a little nicer and more calm in November. Enjoy! :D

I was just looking at the Norwegian website about the restaurants and it says 18% tip is added. So, does this go on our card and we pay at the end?

Also, we have the drink package can we get drinks at the restaurants?

One more thing is there no lobster night?

Thanks!

I was just looking at the Norwegian website about the restaurants and it says 18% tip is added. So, does this go on our card and we pay at the end?

Also, we have the drink package can we get drinks at the restaurants?

Thanks!

If you don't have SDP then yes the 18% goes on your card to pay at end.

Yes you can get UBP drinks at restaurants.

There is no longer a lobster night in MDR.

6&8

Agree. I would do Cagney's 2x, Teppanyaki, and Le Bistro.

Don't let the anti Moderno crowd sway you. Some of the best meat on the ship. Service is good, deserts are exceptional. We always go at least twice during the week. We have many good Brazilian restaurants around here and on board is as good as any of them. Last week we did a land based one and without alcohol it was almost $90, so give it a try.

No lobsters in the MDR. If you are on the SDP, you can a whole main lobster in Cagney's or a butter poached lobster in Le Bistro (additional charges above cover charge if not on the SDP). Or you can get a lobster tail and shrimp linguine in Cagney with no up charge.

Don't let the anti Moderno crowd sway you. Some of the best meat on the ship. Service is good, deserts are exceptional. We always go at least twice during the week. We have many good Brazilian restaurants around here and on board is as good as any of them. Last week we did a land based one and without alcohol it was almost $90, so give it a try.

Agreed! We actually prefer Moderno over Cagney's. After "round 1" of meat, you'll learn what you like and don't like and have seconds and thirds of those items you like. And for me, the salad bar in Moderno gives you more variety that the appetizer menu at Cagney's

I am confused about SDP. I understand that the fleet will convert to a la carte pricing for the fee restaurants. Yet they are offering SDP far into the future. How is SDP going to be managed in an a la carte restaurant?

When you use the SDP, you are not charged a la carte pricing. I'm not sure, however, if you can order multiple appetizers and deserts using the SDP.

Le Bistro definitely! We will skip Moderno in the future. Everything except the lamb was way overcooked and I wasn't impressed with the salad bar (but many are). Cagney's can goes either way, but we will probably pass. We've had it when it was great but on our last cruise, the ribs were tough and overcooked and the ribeye wasn't anything you couldn't get at Texas Roadhouse. The osso bucco in LaCucino is delish. Teppanyaki is good but hard to get a reservation for.

I am confused about SDP. I understand that the fleet will convert to a la carte pricing for the fee restaurants. Yet they are offering SDP far into the future. How is SDP going to be managed in an a la carte restaurant?

The SDP covers the cost of your meal at the a la carte restaurants. Just like a non-a la carte restaurant today. Select your appetizer, entree and dessert.

My fiancé and I did the Ultimate Dining onboard the Pride of America last December. We ate at each of the restaurants once. Here's where they stood for us.

1. Le Bistro. Excellent food and excellent service.

2. Moderno. Would have been #1 if it wasn't so easy to over-eat.

3. East Meets West. Asian fusion. We also had a la carte sushi.

4. Teppanyaki. This would have rated better if we wouldn't have done it on the first night. Everyone was jet-lagged so it wasn't as high energy as it should have been.

5. La Cucina. The Italian venue. Was good, but not great. Not as good as Italian we get at home.

6. Cagney's. We had a terrible experience! They over booked the restaurant and as a result we waited at the wine bar for an hour and a half just to be seated. Took another half hour to get waiter to come to our table. My steak was over cooked. My finance's steak was under cooked. Plus we felt rushed, most likely because they were so behind.

My fiancé would say Moderno was the best but he can eat a lot more than me and probably would have stayed all night if I would have let him! Lol