Just back from Mercury...and loved it!

kruisecat

We got back in late last night from our 6/22/07 Alaskan cruise on Mercury. I'll plan to do a more detailed review later in the week, but I wanted to let anyone plannng on goin on Mercury know that she is in great shape!

We had cabin 8007 and boy what a GREAT cabin! It's just plain HUGE!!! All of the rest of our party had balcony cabins and they were all really jealous of the space we had in our cabin!

Alaska is beautiful, the ship was terrific, the food was great and the service top notch!!! The only downside to our vacation was the head cold we each got that put us down for several days :( , but in the end we give this vacation an A!!!

I'll try to answer any questions I can so please ask!

Kruisecat, so glad to here about the Mercury. We are scheduled to sail on her on the 2nd of November, in cabin 8007. So anything you can tell us about that cabin would be greatly appreciated. I have seen some of the pictures posted on other's post but if you have some of the cabin I would love to see them. Looking forward to your more indepth review. Pam

Kruisecat, so glad to here about the Mercury. We are scheduled to sail on her on the 2nd of November, in cabin 8007. So anything you can tell us about that cabin would be greatly appreciated. I have seen some of the pictures posted on other's post but if you have some of the cabin I would love to see them. Looking forward to your more indepth review. Pam

Pam - you're going to love this cabin! It was sooo much bigger than a standard outside and was even better than a sky suite we visited! The cabin has a nice hallway when you first enter and then you turn left into the cabin. The bed is in the center of the room with a desk to the left of it and a small couch to the right. There is also a small table and another chair by the window. The window is a little bigger than the normal OV and it was great to be able to see where the boat was headed!! I do have pictures, but it will probably take me another day or so to sort through them all :p as soon as I do I'll post them.

Kruisecat, Thank you for the description of the cabin. We considered ourselves lucky to get this cabin. All the extra space and we like having a forward cabin. Makes for great sleeping. We'll check in later to see the photos. Pam

Kruisecat,

Thanks also from me -- we're in 8004 (same plan, but on starboard instead of port side) for our down under cruise from Auckland to Sydney next February. We've been looking forward to having that cabin -- now we really can't wait. Hope to see your pictures soon!

Kruisecat, welcome home:) though I know you probably

want to be on the ship;)

Glad you had such a great time:D who is the Bartender in

the Martini Bar these days?

Kruisecat, welcome home:) though I know you probably

want to be on the ship;)

Glad you had such a great time:D who is the Bartender in

the Martini Bar these days?

Lois, I knew you were going to ask me that, and I sadly have no answer for you :( Honestly other than passing by, I never ventured in. And more honestly, I'm not sure I EVER saw anyone in there. I did think of you every time I passed by though, if that's any consolation

And yes, I really would like to be back on there right now. I'm still pouting that someone is sleeping in my bed! :D

Nobody in the Martini Bar??:eek: Oh my goodness....what time

did you walk by?

I have a friend sailing her at the end of the month and he

will be in there every night....wonder if he will be the only

customer?;) :D

Who was your waiter and asst? Hope the Dining room service

was great too:)

Hi, kruisecat-

We're booked in 8004 for the 7/26/07 sailing from Vancouver- we heard it is huge and sounds like you're confirming that! We have also read that it's great to be able to see where you're going-looks like you can see to the SB and P sides, right?

Your report of "ship was terrific, the food was great and the service top notch" reinforces what we know to be true about Celebrity and look forward to experiencing it on the Mercury!

Thanks for posting the information and we look forward to seeing your pictures.. we can't wait to go back to Alaska this year on our favorite line.

2Scots

I have a friend sailing her at the end of the month and he will be in there every night....wonder if he will be the only customer?;) :D

Hi, Lois! I would have absolutely no problem if I were the only customer nightly in the Martini Bar, as long as I have a decent martini and, hopefully, a personable bartender, as was the case with Juro on my last three cruises aboard the Mercury.:)

Donald.

Hi Donald:)

I know you will have a good time, no matter how many

people are in the Martini Bar:D

And when you return you can fill me in on who the bartender is

as well;)

KruiseCat~ This is what we like..... someone getting home and checking in with your CC Buddies to share in your excitment! We all get to cruise vicariously through you!

Please tell us.... what was the dress code really like? Two formal nights? How dressed did people get? For dinner, are men OK with Golf type shirt and dockers?

Do they really only have to wear a jacket on formal nights?

How was the calving of the glaciers?? Where did you view it from?

Any tips???

Welcome home. Glad you had a great cruise. (besides the head cold) :-(

KPlease tell us.... what was the dress code really like? Two formal nights? How dressed did people get? For dinner, are men OK with Golf type shirt and dockers?

Do they really only have to wear a jacket on formal nights?

(Ducking and running for cover!)

Hi Drew:) no need to duck;)

Collared shirts and dockers would be fine for casual nights.:)

How dressed up do people get on formal nights? The men

wear suits, hence the word formal. And I am not trying to be

rude as there is enough of that going on without me adding

to it. Just telling you that in my opinion the outfit you mentioned

is really not formal.

I have sailed this itinerary, not this specific cruise, but

I was on Mercury to Alaska last year. The 2 husbands at my

dinner table both dressed up....One in a tux and one in a dark suit.

And yes, the cruise has 2 formal nights.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Kruisecat

So glad you had a good time onboard. Did you hear of any more minor modifications planned before Mercury heads own under?

Also when you say no on was in the Martini Bar, do you mean the bar just outside the dining room?

I must admit, on Galaxy we found the atmosphere at Cova far better and there was a really good server there who did great martinis so we never went back to the very dark surroundings of the Martini Bar which was also a passageway for diners to congregate ahead of dinner

Of course, primary concern is "Can I get a good martini?"

A

Renie - thanks for the welcome home! I would have to say that the dress code was hit or miss for every night EXCEPT the formal nights. I would have to say that the vast majority of people adhered to the dress code on formal nights. Yes, there were 2. In our party of 13 (5 men) 4 wore tuxes and 1 wore a dark blue suit. There were plenty of tuxes and very few casually dressed men (or women for that matter). Because of the wacky port times we did not go to the dining room for 2 of the informal nights as they were having a buffet. We just ran in and out to refuel before heading out again for a few more hours. Most people were in jeans on those days despite the after 6pm dress code. We didn't leave Juneau until 10pm so I don't think it mattered to many what the code was. I have to say on this itin I think it made NO sense at all to have anything other than casual and formal nights. The other nights just seemed to be a bit of a joke.

Uktog - Sorry, we didn't get any updates on the updates. But I will tell you this, the crew and captains are all excited about going there. We were fortunate enough to be invited to dinner with the staff captain (very cool!) and then the next day we had th opportunity to have a bridge tour and meet the captain and they both were speaking of how excited they all were. As for that martini bar, I want to preface this with the fact that we had early dinner, and before dinner no one was there and after dinner we were usually moving out with the whole group and I wasn't always paying attention :o I'm sure that people were there, they were just there when I wasn't! As for martini's, I must also confess that I am not a fan, so I can't speak to whether they are good or not.

Thanks Kruisekat

I am glad the crew is sharing my excitement!!! It must be good for them to get to sail in different waters - just as it is nice to drive on a different road. Glad you had such a good trip

I must admit, on Galaxy we found the atmosphere at Cova far better and there was a really good server there who did great martinis so we never went back to the very dark surroundings of the Martini Bar which was also a passageway for diners to congregate ahead of dinner

Can anyone confirm that martinis are prepared and served in the Cova of the Mercury? When I ordered a martini there a couple of years ago, I was directed to the Martini Bar. I agree that the Martini Bar is rather dark, and has been used as a passageway for diners going to their side of the dining room or to use the washrooms on either side. Diners also use it as a sitting room while waiting for the dining room to open. It is like being in the Grand Central Station, and is hardly conducive to a quiet enjoyment of one's martini. I used the Martini Bar on my last three cruises on the Mercury because of the personable bartender.

Donald.

Can anyone confirm that martinis are prepared and served in the Cova of the Mercury? When I ordered a martini there a couple of years ago, I was directed to the Martini Bar. I agree that the Martini Bar is rather dark, and has been used as a passageway for diners going to their side of the dining room or to use the washrooms on either side. Diners also use it as a sitting room while waiting for the dining room to open. It is like being in the Grand Central Station, and is hardly conducive to a quiet enjoyment of one's martini. I used the Martini Bar on my last three cruises on the Mercury because of the personable bartender.

Donald.

Donald, you can definitely get a Martini in Cova. I know because

when I sailed in March one of my tablemates ordered one and

Ronnie (bartender in Cova) made it while we were sitting at

the bar:)

Actually, don't know why I didn't have them there more often;)

probably because Juro was always so entertaining:D

But you can get that drink in Cova....maybe you will try it this

cruise?

Thanks for the information, Lois! I'll try both Cova and Martini Bar, and see which I prefer. It is indeed the personality of the server, such as Juro, which helps me to decide where I most enjoy drinking. Of course, the martinis must also be expertly prepared! :)

Donald.

Donald, I am sure you will find the right bartender:D

and both places are really fun:).......you know Cova has a great

to feel to it~definitely more space than the Martini Bar.

They each have things to offer!

Hi Kruisecat,

I will be in 8007 for the 24 Aug. Alaska cruise and am very much looking forward to your review. Glad you had a great time.:)

I believe another poster mentioned that there is an outside area with chairs in front of that cabin. Is this correct?

Any shore excursions or entertainment that is "not to be missed"?

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Anne

ok, so it appears that I have no idea on how to attach a picture of 8007. The picture file size is too big and whil I'm sure that there is a way to make is smaller, I'm really technologically challenged! So if you would like to see a picture of 8007 please email me at c_kiene at yahoo dot com and put the cabin # in the subject and I'll be happy to send them out.

Sorry for my lack of savvy! :o

Archived