Civitavecchia Port Rental Cars

funshyne11

Hello! I have a question. I will be returning a rental car the day we leave port (September 27th) I was looking at Hertz because everyone said it was so close. Below is the address for the Hertz location and the address for the port I looked up.

Hertz Via della Repubblica, 10 A Civitavecchia, IT

Port- Molo Vespucci,Civitavecchia 00053

Googlemaps says its 1.5 K, which isn't bad but kind of long with luggage. How come it looks so far on the map, or do you go to a certain part and then get shuttled, or how does this work?

Also, does Hertz let you just drop the keys in a box?

Thanks for the help!

Hello! I have a question. I will be returning a rental car the day we leave port (September 27th) I was looking at Hertz because everyone said it was so close. Below is the address for the Hertz location and the address for the port I looked up.

Hertz Via della Repubblica, 10 A Civitavecchia, IT

Port- Molo Vespucci,Civitavecchia 00053

Googlemaps says its 1.5 K, which isn't bad but kind of long with luggage. How come it looks so far on the map, or do you go to a certain part and then get shuttled, or how does this work?

Also, does Hertz let you just drop the keys in a box?

Thanks for the help!

We booked with EUROPCAR (National/Alamo).

They have also open on Sundays.

And they promised us to collect us at the ship and return us to the ship after we used the car.

With HERTZ you can use the port shuttle to the port gate. From here it's only 500 yards to their office.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 8 months later...
We booked with EUROPCAR (National/Alamo).

They have also open on Sundays.

And they promised us to collect us at the ship and return us to the ship after we used the car.

With HERTZ you can use the port shuttle to the port gate. From here it's only 500 yards to their office.

Regards,

HeinBloed

How did this work out? Did they drop you off at the ship pre cruise and pick you up post cruise to get a car? Name on sign so you could find them?

What time did they pick you up at ship?

We're looking at rental from Pantheon area Rome a few day before cruise, drop off near ship, pick up another rental after cruise and a few days later return car to airport. Is this the same as you did?

thanks,

dog:)

How did this work out? Did they drop you off at the ship pre cruise and pick you up post cruise to get a car? Name on sign so you could find them?

What time did they pick you up at ship?

We're looking at rental from Pantheon area Rome a few day before cruise, drop off near ship, pick up another rental after cruise and a few days later return car to airport. Is this the same as you did?

thanks,

dog:)

Unfortunately just a few days before our rental we were informed that they were not allowed anymore to enter the pier to collect you.

From the gate it was a 15-20-minute walk to Europcar.

See here:

http://heinbloed-ncl.blogspot.com/2009/11/tag-51-auf-der-norwegian-gem-in.html

http://heinbloed-ncl.blogspot.com/2009/11/tag-52-auf-der-norwegian-gem-in.html

Regards

HeinBloed

The Hertz office is actually only a 2 block walk to the main port entrance (the entire route is flat). Once at the port entrance there is a free port shuttle bus (with plenty of luggage storage space under the bus) that will take you to the ship. So, as long as you can roll your luggage a few blocks you will be fine.

Hank

• 1 year later...

Hi, this is the only thread that I've found so far on CC that addresses car rentals in Civitavecchia port. We're renting a car from Hertz at FCO to explore Tuscany before our cruise. I just checked, the cost is the same whether we return the car to FCO or Civitavecchia, so I thought if it's not too hard to drive from FCO to Civitavecchia, maybe we should drive instead of taking the train. I heard the drive is beautiful. Does any one know whether it's hard to drive from FCO to Civitavecchia? Will we be mainly on highways? Are there a lot of traffic in the morning (9-12)? We don't mind driving on the highways, but terrified of traffic/driving pattern in Rome!

Thanks in advance for your help!

It's an easy drive along a highway (two lanes each direction). The scenery is not particularly interesting scenery as you can't see the coast, but it's easy driving.

Thanks Euro Cruiser! Driving will save us from having to lug our suitcases around the train stations too.

Except in extreme situations I would not recommend changing transport modes. If you're going to rent a car, you might as well use it for the entire trip.

the only reason why we thought of returning the car to FCO instead was because of the huge price difference to get a "one way" rental when we first reserved the car. But now that is not an issue any more, driving does make more sense. thanks for your help.

Except in extreme situations I would not recommend changing transport modes. If you're going to rent a car, you might as well use it for the entire trip.

I have another question - we reserved an economy car (supposedly fits 4 people, 1 big luggage and 2 small ones). We are 2 adults with 2 big luggage (50 lbs each) and 2 carry-ons. Do you think the economy car is big enough? or should we upgrade? Thanks!

A friend and I rented an ecomony car in Rome a few years ago and we also had two big bags plus carry ons, a backpack, etc. We got one big bag and all of the small ones in the trunk but the second big bag had to ride in the back seat. That wasn't an issue for us because we were driving directly from one accomodation to the next one, so there was no concern about anyone stealing our stuff from the car.

As long as you don't plan on parking the car and leaving it while your luggage is in it, the smaller car shouldn't be a problem. If you do plan on stopping while your stuff is in the car, you might consider upgrading to something with more storage space.

We've rented from AVIS at FCO with a return at Civitavecchia. One way drop charge was $41 USD but when compared to a taxi or limo or even the ship's transfer cost to Civitavecchia, it is a steal. Plus we have a car for two days of pre-cruise site seeing on our own. The AVIS station at Civitavecchia is 800 meters from the port entrance. So I plan to drop my wife and son off at the port entrance with the bags, return the car, and walk ten minutes (if that) back to catch the port shuttle to the ship.

• 1 year later...

We'd like to rent a car in Civitavecchia to get to the airport.

But we arrive on Sunday July 15th with Navigator otS and I tried the online reservation of several rental car companies like Hertz, Europcar, Sixt and they all have their offices in Civitavecchia closed on Sunday.

Any suggestions?

We'd like to rent a car in Civitavecchia to get to the airport.

But we arrive on Sunday July 15th with Navigator otS and I tried the online reservation of several rental car companies like Hertz, Europcar, Sixt and they all have their offices in Civitavecchia closed on Sunday.

Any suggestions?

Europcar is open from 10.30 hrs to 11.30 hrs.

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived