Chef Makers Academy

Larry5440

We did Chef Makers on the Liberty in October. The cooking area was set up in the bar area at the entrance of WJ so you are in a public space. When we arrived (there were just two of us in the class) we were given an apron (to keep) and a glass of wine.

The Executive Chef joined us briefly and we had our pictures taken with him. We had already purchased the cookbook and he had already signed it so it was nice to have the photo.

There were two chef instructors and one assistant. We made bacon wrapped plantains (surprisingly good), puff pastry turnovers with a couple of different fillings, marinated lamb chops, a bruchetta...not sure what else.

As your wife probably knows there are different class offerings. I believe ours was the appetizer class.

At one point we were in a section of the kitchen cooking which was fun. We made quite a bit of food so we took plates of food to dinner to share with our table mates. (not sure we were supposed to do that) We also invited people in the bar to sample.

We were given recipe cards and a bottle of wine (which we also took to dinner). Both chefs signed our cookbooks and provided their email addresses should we have any questions.

It was a lot of fun but I'm not sure I would do it again - for me it was more of a one time experience. I would encourage your wife to definitely try it out.

Yes, you can sign up in advance. They will have the dates/times and type of class listed.

Because it isn't that easy to find, on our cruise very few people signed up ahead of time. As a result, they were offering a much discounted rate once you were on board. I would suggest waiting and paying the lower rate. It doesn't seem as if the classes are very well advertised.

The risk is that they will cancel classes I suppose.

The sign up table was inside the entrance to the windjammer. My wife got a 20% off coupon at the M&M get together. Prices are PP

Knife skills 99.00$- 18 & older- 3 hrs

Pasta 69.00$ (she did this one)- 12 & older-2hrs

Quick & easy fish 69.00$--16 and older-2.5 hrs

Tamales 69.00$- 16 & older-2.5 hrs

All about chicken 99.00$-18 & older-3hrs

Kids baking 25$-4 to 10-1 hr

Small bites 99.00$-18 & older-3 hrs

Cookong around the world 99.00$-21& older-3hrs

Asian persuassion 99.00$-21 & older-3hrs

Surf & Turf 99.00$-21 & older-3hrs

You eat what you cook at the end. The wifes class was done in Portofinos kitchen. She had a great time and would do it again. If you want your apron,another 20$. Wear shoes, knives are used and you will sign a release.

All 99$ classes include wine, others a champagne/juice reception

We have done the Savory Crepes class and it was GREAT:) This class was held in Portofino. My advice would be to look for one of the daytime classes that uses Portofino instead of the WJ area. I passed by when they were having the evening classes and it was no where near as nice as when cooking in Portofino's kitchen and eating in their dining room with no one else except thos in your class...in the WJ area you have the constant flow going by in and out of WJ:rolleyes:very different feel.

We have done the Savory Crepes class and it was GREAT:) This class was held in Portofino. My advice would be to look for one of the daytime classes that uses Portofino instead of the WJ area. I passed by when they were having the evening classes and it was no where near as nice as when cooking in Portofino's kitchen and eating in their dining room with no one else except thos in your class...in the WJ area you have the constant flow going by in and out of WJ:rolleyes:very different feel.

Excellent advice, thank you! I didn't realize classes were held elsewhere. I might be tempted to participate again. One of the negatives for me was being "on display" as people were coming and going to the WJ.

Thank you for meantioning this. I think Ill try to book for our upcoming cruise.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in the descriptions...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Chefmakers_Class_Descriptions.pdf

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do;jsessionid=0000DnoYqOfJlc6QOjpk8pLf4kk:12hdhua36?exCode=989&shipCode=FR

I was just looking at the registration site and on the drop down only Liberty and Freedom are available, at this time. We're doing a TA on Liberty next fall and I would l.ike to take advantage of these classes on our sea days.

Thanks for asking the original question and for those of you who answered the question.

d

Thank you everyone for your input and advice. How do you know if the classes are offered in Portiino's? I cannot find it anywhere in the calendar that shows what classes are offered on each day. All of your suggestions are most welcomed.

When I looked online there was only a kid class for up to 12, then classes for those over 18 or 21....my daughter is 17. I saw someone listed a pasta class, not really exciting as she can cook pasta. Anyone know anything else about what my daughter and I might be able to do together??

We sail Freedom June 19th

When I looked online there was only a kid class for up to 12, then classes for those over 18 or 21....my daughter is 17. I saw someone listed a pasta class, not really exciting as she can cook pasta. Anyone know anything else about what my daughter and I might be able to do together??

If you look now they have opened classes up for that age gap they had before. My daughter is 16 so I had the same problem but once I looked at all the classes for our sailing I am thinking she could do about 50% of them.

On our sailing 3/19 here is what 14+ can do, Fried Rice, Perfect Shrimp, Risotto, Crepe-tastic, Sheppards Pie, Manicotti, Thai Beef Salad & Chinese Take out.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Its a crepes class. Meat is used, cheeses, and you learn how to make crepes and fill them with the fillings you make.

Post #7

She could do the fish or the Tamale class, and they would most likely let her do the chicken since she is 17 and you would be with her. Just ask, its very relaxed and the people running it are nice. It might depend on if the class is full or not. Also, they can add times and classes. They did that on our cruise, They called the cabin to see if my wife would be interested.

Thank you for meantioning this. I think Ill try to book for our upcoming cruise.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in the descriptions...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Chefmakers_Class_Descriptions.pdf

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do;jsessionid=0000DnoYqOfJlc6QOjpk8pLf4kk:12hdhua36?exCode=989&shipCode=FR

Thanks for the links!

I have taken the small bites class and it was very good and a lot of fun. We signed up for one of the 'dinner' classes on the Liberty 2010 - it was cancelled as there were not enough people signed up. I wish they would 'advertise' this classes as an 'onboard' excursion so they show up when searching on the RCI website.

Archived