Chef Makers Academy

Larry5440

Since we are celebrating my parents 50th all dinner classes are out (bummer). I think of all the classes the risotto class is the one that is truly an art. It can be a challenge and when it's done right- wow. Unfortunately it's offered when we are in port....sigh- chicken class for me! Also is there any type of a language barrier? I went to classes on my last Holland cruise but I couldn't always understand what the chef was saying (BUT they were free classes!).....any info there?

Thanks- Karen

I looked at some of the upcoming FOS sailings and didn't see any kids classes. Does anyone know if these vary based on the time of year? I'm hoping to get my daughter into one of the kids classes on our July 17th sailing.

Are all the evening classes held in the WJ

And daytime are in Portofino:)

Thank you. I think she might like the crepe class. Now I'm wondering if I should Prebook or wait to see if there is a on board discount.

No discount for booking on-board.

In our area cooking classes range from $30 to $90 -for hands on. I didn't find the prices unreasonable given the $90 class is 2.5 hours.....not quite sure what I can do to a chicken for 2.5 hours, but I'll let you know. lol. The knife skills class would be my pick if I were just starting out. Always good to have , sounds silly but it probably is their best offering for the money.

Karen

I would love to take a cooking class or three, but not at those prices. I'm quite surprised that RCI doesn't show them at all on their website - were it not for our CC mate posting to the Roll Call, I wouldn't have known that they existed.

The prices are too high and they should be lower. But there are a lot of 'discounts'. Half price for attending the M&M. Last cruise we said we could not attend the M&M and we got the discount anyway.

I wish I had known about the discounts, I have already signed up and paid for the Asain cooking class on the Liberty at $70.for the 26th of Feb. Maybe I should cancel and see if they have any discounts for when I am on the ship.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone recently took the class and have anything to report back since this post started?

I am now 88 days out and the Chef Maker classes are listed in my specialty dining on my cruise planner in my reservation. I can see what classes are available, the day, time, price, etc.

I just need to decide what to take. I would really love the crepe one...but its on a port day. I might have to do the Savory Bites. I want to do one with my daughter...but she still will only be sixteen so I will have to decide between the scones, and playing with chocolate. Anyone taken these classes?

I just returned from the Liberty on Sun. March 19 and they cancelled my Chefmakers classes and gave me a full refund yesterday. I was told yesterday that they are only on the Freedom at this time. When the Liberty came out of dry dock cabins for their (chefmakers employees) were not allocated and space was an issue, also the Liberty is going into a Europe itinerary in April so they pulled it. I was disappointed, but they were very nice about it and informed me of the cancellation 2 days before my cruise began on 3/13. They did state that they look to have the classes on other ships in the future.

Butterfly625

My Chefmakers time was screwed up as well. I booked the chicken class Sat at noon,but got a letter at the start of the week saying it was at 10a. I moved some things around, only to find out the day before it was at noon. They graciously refunded my money. I would try them again but wait to book until I'm onboard. Missed all the evening classes since we were there w/ a large family and that was our time to spend together. 3pm classes would have been cool. If I have to chose b/t an island or a cooking class- island is going to when (for me) I can cook at home.

Karen

• 3 months later...

My prebooked small bites class was cancelled last week because I was the only one signed up. Someone on here said they were told if the class was booked before boarding it wouldn't be cancelled, that wasn't the case for me. they offeredme to take another class, but couldn't find one with a time that would work that I wanted to take, so they offered a refund. They never got me my refund until saturday evening. I wish they wouldn't have cancelled. Maybe next time

We leave for our cruise on the FOS 7/24.

I have a dilemma with regards to the Chefmakers classes. My daughter is 13. The cut off age for the childrens classes is 12 but some of the adult classes the start age is 14.

Do you think they would let her attend one of the adult classes if I attended with her?

I also thought about doing the cupcake decorating class with her. Can you sign up for that in advance? I didn't see it under the pre-cruise planning and when I searched the website it didn't say anything about advance reservations.

thanks for your help.

I do not know about the age stuff. I have heard they are strict about it...but I do not know for sure. My daughter was 17 and would have liked for her to do the adult class with me....but it was cancelled so not even an issue.

We did the cupcake class. Sign up for the adult one...It was about 20 each...I dont even remember but it was fun. We like watching all those cupcake/cake tv shows. We made a puppy cupcake, there was also a hamburger class to choose from. You can not prebook....Just go to the cupcake cupboard when you board there will be sign up sheets there with times and such.

Thanks for the response. We will definitely sign up for the cupcake class. I'm kind of bummed about the cooking class. We watch the food network together all of the time & one of her favorite things to eat is shepherd's pie so when I saw it was one of the Chefmakers classes I was really excited.

I'm sure we'll have fun with the cupcakes and this will just give me a reason to plan another cruise next year when she's 14. :)

Archived