SYDNEY Airport - time/distance from cruise ship terminal

Hi Folks,

We are sailing on Celebrity Century on 1/6/12 out of Auckland to Sydney. The itinerary shows that the ship docks at 6:30 a.m. in Sydney, however, the cruise line says they do not recommend flights leaving the Sydney airport before 1:30 p.m.! Can anyone tell me their experiences on getting to the airport in terms of time? There is an 11:30 a.m. flight I would really like to get on.

I am afraid this is another one of those cruise ploys like we fell victim to on a Rome (Civitavecchia) cruise. We took the company's advice and stayed over since the flights to Texas out of Rome were in the morning. What to my surprise, we met a number of people aboard who were flying home to the States on those early flights, and the ship saw to it that they made the flights by offloading them first and bussing them to Rome. (They had, of course, booked air with the cruise line - I think it was RCI.)

Any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Hi Folks,

We are sailing on Celebrity Century on 1/6/12 out of Auckland to Sydney. The itinerary shows that the ship docks at 6:30 a.m. in Sydney, however, the cruise line says they do not recommend flights leaving the Sydney airport before 1:30 p.m.! Can anyone tell me their experiences on getting to the airport in terms of time? There is an 11:30 a.m. flight I would really like to get on.

I am afraid this is another one of those cruise ploys like we fell victim to on a Rome (Civitavecchia) cruise. We took the company's advice and stayed over since the flights to Texas out of Rome were in the morning. What to my surprise, we met a number of people aboard who were flying home to the States on those early flights, and the ship saw to it that they made the flights by offloading them first and bussing them to Rome. (They had, of course, booked air with the cruise line - I think it was RCI.)

Any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks!

A five minute walk from ship to Circular Quay train station, and a 20 minute train ride to the airport.

We have disembarked and changed to an earlier flight and flown out from Sydney at 9.30 am :)

S and P

Edited by Big Kev

Hi Folks,

Thanks!

You don't say whether your flight from Sydney is a domestic or international one. If it is domestic, you should be able to easily catch an 11.30am flight. We have cruised into Sydney many times and have usually been at the airport by 10am. I imagine that Celebrity (like P & O and Princess) will allocate you an earlier disembarkation time if you have an early flight. If so, that will make it even easier. We haven't ever needed an early disembarkation because we don't need to rush.

Does Celebrity have shuttle buses? If not, I suggest getting a taxi. There are usually plenty available at the terminal. The trip from the terminal to the airport usually takes half an hour and the cost is $40 to $45. As you probably know, tipping is not expected, although rounding up the fare is always gratefully accepted. :)

If you are on an international flight, the suggested time for check-in is 3 hours prior to depature ........ so I would say it's doable provided you are off the ship in the first groups to disembark.

Hi Folks,

My goodness :eek:

Not even taking a day to check out the most beautiful harbour in the world???

We might have to send you to the "naughty corner" :):D:p

You don't say whether your flight from Sydney is a domestic or international one. If it is domestic, you should be able to easily catch an 11.30am flight.

This is the key. I definitely wouldn't be thinking 9:30 is feasible if you're talking international, which sounds typical for this question. 11:30 is feasilble if everything goes smoothly. However, they're accounting for the occasional situation when the ship is delayed and you have then even more irate passengers who have missed their flight. Waiting for a flight is not as bad as missing it!

My goodness :eek:

Not even taking a day to check out the most beautiful harbour in the world???

We might have to send you to the "naughty corner" :):D:p

I wish we did have the time to do so, but we are using all the extra days we have on the front end in NZ, since my husband lived there as an exchange student in high school, and the family with whom he lived is still there. So, will have to see Australia next time!

I wish we did have the time to do so, but we are using all the extra days we have on the front end in NZ, since my husband lived there as an exchange student in high school, and the family with whom he lived is still there. So, will have to see Australia next time!

Can I assume the flight you will take is an international one? If so, I think 11.30am is too early. You would have to be checked in prior to 9.30 and I think this is optimistic. You might make it, but the very tight schedule would cause you stress. Keep in mind that you would be travelling through Sydney (the largest city in Australia) in peak hour traffic to reach the airport at the time you need to be there.

Bottom line - I wouldn't do it. We fly on a domestic flight from Sydney after a cruise and always book a flight after 12 noon. For an international flight I would look for one after 1pm.

Sorry, I don't think this is the answer you wanted. :):) Have a great holiday.

I guess we can let you off this time. :)

But I feel sorry for you because I know how you're going to feel when you sail into Sydney Harbour - you'll be wishing you had a couple of days to check it out.

Never mind. As you say - next time. :D

For an international flight, I would allow a little more time.It isn't just a matter of arriving at the airport, it is the booking in that takes the time.The queues are usually horrendous, in my (admittedly limited) experience of flying.

I would book an afternoon flight, as Aus traveller suggested.

If you do find you have extra time on your hands, you can always take an hour or two to wander round the city there and that way you won't feel you have seen nothing of the place.

We were in Brisbane last year after a cruise and booked a later flight back to Melbourne, spent the time in between walking that city and it still remains a great memory for me. You could give yourself a very quick glimpse of Sydney and still be home just a few hours later.

I'd do it, I'm a risk taker :D

You arrive on a Wednesday, however, it is the main, annual school holidays and Sydney's traffic will be not as busy (fact and the reason why I love January school holidays so I can get to work quicker! - the roads just magically open up :))

Latest check-in for economy is usually 90 minutes, so say 10.00 am. I think you have enough time as long as you organise with the ship to be first off, which I can't see as a problem. If there's a delay getting off and to the airport, you can ask some nice official airline person wandering around at the airport (they are there) to assist in expediting you through if there are queues and they are always happy to oblige and the same in customs (yes, experience tells me this hehe). You can blame your travel agent along the way for booking you this ridiculous flight :D

Just make sure you luggage is perfect (no smuggling stuff :eek:), liquids are where they are supposed to be in the small plastic bag, no sharp/pointy/spikey things in your carry on and belts/shoes, etc are easy to slip on and off for xray.

Plan, divide and conquer! and I believe you won't have a problem!

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread back up. Our ship arrives in Sydney at 6:30am on March 1st 2013 and we have to catch a flight from Auckland to Tahiti at 6:35 pm the same day.. does anyone think we could catch a 9:25am flight back to Auckland? There is a 11:45am flight to Auckland but that puts us in Auckland at 4:45pm and Im not sure thats enough time to get us checked in with Air Tahiti as they state their counter closes 1 hour before the flight departs.

Bumping this thread back up. Our ship arrives in Sydney at 6:30am on March 1st 2013 and we have to catch a flight from Auckland to Tahiti at 6:35 pm the same day.. does anyone think we could catch a 9:25am flight back to Auckland? There is a 11:45am flight to Auckland but that puts us in Auckland at 4:45pm and Im not sure thats enough time to get us checked in with Air Tahiti as they state their counter closes 1 hour before the flight departs.

You would have to choose the 11.45am flight. They require at least 2 hours checkin before flight leaves for an international flight. Your best mode of transport is to take the train from Circular Quay (which is 5 mins walk from where the ship will be docked) to the international terminal.... only a few stops.... which will put you right in the middle of the international terminal. Cost is @$15 each, much cheaper than taking a taxi or a shuttle ($25) and a hell of a lot faster. I am presuming that you won't have 10 suitcases to lug around though. Which airline are you flying on to Auckland, by the way?

Why put yourself under so much stress. Neither of the above will work. The ship could be late in port or your connection to NZ could be delayed. I suggest you delay your NZ to Tahiti leg by 24 hours. Mar 1 is a Friday - busiest day of the week for traffic in Sydney so the suggestion of a train is a good one if in a hurry, otherwise grab a taxi.

The ship stops in Newcastle on Feb 28th perhaps we could disembark in Newcastle and catch a flight back to Auckland on the 28th. Anyone know how far Newcastle is from Sydney?

The distance between Sydney's CBD and Newcastle is 159km - about two hours drive - depends on traffic. Train timetables are here.

http://www.cityrail.info/timetables/timetables_by_line.htm;jsessionid=4D7FE2392E34203E80E849B16A262FCE.node02#landingPoint

I believe the train from Central to the Airport takes 20 mins.

If you are coming from overseas you may not be allowed to disembark at Newcastle - depends what the situation is regarding Customs.

Edited by Sandielle

The distance between Sydney's CBD and Newcastle is 159km - about two hours drive - depends on traffic. Train timetables are here.

http://www.cityrail.info/timetables/timetables_by_line.htm;jsessionid=4D7FE2392E34203E80E849B16A262FCE.node02#landingPoint

I believe the train from Central to the Airport takes 20 mins.

If you are coming from overseas you may not be allowed to disembark at Newcastle - depends what the situation is regarding Customs.

Well I just realized my idea will not work anyways. Newcastle is our first stop not our last. Our last stop is in Brisbane.. perhaps we could disembark there.. flights from Brisbane to Auckland are similar in price to those from Sydney to Auckland.

Edited by Bocadude85

Something to check with the cruise line. It does happen. Travel time from Brisbane to Auckland is similar, though there are fewer flights.

.... but the cruiseline may not allow you to disembark because Customs/Quarantine staff might not be available to process arriving passengers. Otherwise, the idea to disembark in Brisbane sounds good.

• 7 years later...

Not going to stress anymore on the subject....lol, well maybe a little.....We're arriving back in Sydney on the Voyager on Tuesday morning, Feb 25th (6:30AM) hmmm....we have a flight at 11:50AM on Air New Zealand to Auckland then on to Honolulu.

WE WILL make it to the airport by 8:50AM !!!! (I hope)

1 hour ago, mike60707 said:

Not going to stress anymore on the subject....lol, well maybe a little.....We're arriving back in Sydney on the Voyager on Tuesday morning, Feb 25th (6:30AM) hmmm....we have a flight at 11:50AM on Air New Zealand to Auckland then on to Honolulu.

WE WILL make it to the airport by 8:50AM !!!! (I hope)

To have a chance of making that flight, you will have to disembark as soon as possible. That would probably mean 'self-disembark', carrying your own luggage off the ship. Make sure you are not carrying any food products or other items that would delay you with the Quarantine officers. Commercially made timber items would usually be OK'ed without inspection, but home-made (craft) timber items would be inspected. That might take only five minutes.

Probably a taxi would be your fastest way to the airport. When you disembark go to the man organising the taxis and tell him you are in danger of missing your flight. When we have done that, they have a taxi flagged down and brought to us within a couple of minutes. Tell the taxi driver that you need to get to the airport as quickly as possible. He will probably use the toll roads and tunnels, adding a small amount (I think it is $8) to the fare.

Keep you fingers and toes crossed for good luck. 😊

On 10/2/2019 at 10:05 AM, Aus Traveller said:

To have a chance of making that flight, you will have to disembark as soon as possible. That would probably mean 'self-disembark', carrying your own luggage off the ship. Make sure you are not carrying any food products or other items that would delay you with the Quarantine officers. Commercially made timber items would usually be OK'ed without inspection, but home-made (craft) timber items would be inspected. That might take only five minutes.

Probably a taxi would be your fastest way to the airport. When you disembark go to the man organising the taxis and tell him you are in danger of missing your flight. When we have done that, they have a taxi flagged down and brought to us within a couple of minutes. Tell the taxi driver that you need to get to the airport as quickly as possible. He will probably use the toll roads and tunnels, adding a small amount (I think it is $8) to the fare.

Keep you fingers and toes crossed for good luck. 😊

The ship will have pre booked coaches ( booked on board) to the airport  and obviously they are scheduled so as to get people to the airport by their required time.  Taxis can be a little unreliable in as much as there can be a shortage of them at the terminal  at peak times and there is always the unforeseen traffic jams for both coach and taxi.  To me the most " reliable " way to the airport is by train, a short, easy five minute walk from the terminal and providing you can manage your luggage ( there are elevators at the stations) it is only a 15 - 20 minute ride to the airport.

15 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

The ship will have pre booked coaches ( booked on board) to the airport  and obviously they are scheduled so as to get people to the airport by their required time.  Taxis can be a little unreliable in as much as there can be a shortage of them at the terminal  at peak times and there is always the unforeseen traffic jams for both coach and taxi.  To me the most " reliable " way to the airport is by train, a short, easy five minute walk from the terminal and providing you can manage your luggage ( there are elevators at the stations) it is only a 15 - 20 minute ride to the airport.

In this case, the train would probably be the most reliable and the cruise line's coach the worst. A problem I see with the ship's coaches, is that each one doesn't leave the terminal until it is full. While they waited for another 40 people who had booked the transfer to disembark, get through Customs/Immigration, wander over to the coach and load their luggage, they would easily lose 30 minutes.