Qantas Excess Baggage Glitch for Cruisers

Travellers beware :confused:..only one bag is allowed on Qantas now for internal flights, apparentley the rules changed on the 1st of June. We got caught with this on our return leg from Sydney to the West.

As we flew out at the end of May we could take 2 bags each if we wanted.

On returning from our cruise we were slugged $30 per extra bag we were holding. We were told if you have a international flight no probs...My answer to that was "We were on a cruise that went international"..There answer was that "Cruises don't count"..I replied "Ohh am I on camera and will this be going on one of those Tv airport shows?"..all I got back was a strange look..lol

It may have been different maybe??? If we sorted our flights and cruise together from P&O or a travel agent..But as we booked our flights through a major travel agent who should remain anonymous (but they do have a bogus looking air captain for a mascot) and we sourced the best possible price for our cruise on-line. We were not aware of this and nor were we not told.

Hope it saves someone some money :)

Heard about this - also heard you can prepay for the extra bag online before your flight and it is cheaper. :)

Yeah they said online it would only be $20..we had no choice as we didn't know untill check-in :o...anyway its done now..others beware I guess.

Yeah they said online it would only be $20..we had no choice as we didn't know untill check-in :o...anyway its done now..others beware I guess.

Interestingly, I do not think that this change was publicised much - at least I did not see hear about it outside work. We had a note posted on our intranet page by our travel team - and that is where I heard about it. :o

I guess as you say, it is good to let the others know :)

The altered Qantas baggage allowances were announced recently and featured prominently in the TV News and Newspapers in the Eastern States of Australia. The allowance is still 1 large booked piece, and one piece of cabin baggage . Weight allowances are higher for those up the "pointy" end of the aircraft .

The altered Qantas baggage allowances were announced recently and featured prominently in the TV News and Newspapers in the Eastern States of Australia. The allowance is still 1 large booked piece, and one piece of cabin baggage . Weight allowances are higher for those up the "pointy" end of the aircraft .

Phew..That explains it!! Those adds must not have aired yet in W.A :D Actually I am eagerly awaiting the broadcast tonight of man landing on the moon and went out today and brought myself one of those new fangled black and white T.V's (the neighbours will be so envious:D)...so when I get home to night all I have to do is rub two sticks together to start a fire to warm my cave, find a long stick and sharpen it at one end, catch my dinner that will probley be just the normal wild boar that frequents our area..I have found that the sharp stick works alot better than the drop-trap I had previously used I now eat every 2nd week instead of every 3rd..the other down fall of the drop-trap is that i continuously forgot about it so every time nature called I was forever extracating myself out of the trap and removing the bamboo puji sticks from my feet.:D..anyhow I am digressing If anyone knows how Man landing on the Moon ends dont tell me I been waiting age's to see this..:rolleyes:

In essence it's not the money I paid for excess bags it's not being told when I purchased the tickets or at the airport when I left that there would be a charge on return. But hey you live and learn.:).

Phew..That explains it!! Those adds must not have aired yet in W.A Actually I am eagerly awaiting the broadcast tonight of man landing on the moon and went out today and brought myself one of those new fangled black and white T.V's (the neighbours will be so envious)...so when I get home to night all I have to do is rub two sticks together to start a fire to warm my cave, find a long stick and sharpen it at one end, catch my dinner that will probley be just the normal wild boar that frequents our area..I have found that the sharp stick works alot better than the drop-trap I had previously used I now eat every 2nd week instead of every 3rd..the other down fall of the drop-trap is that i continuously forgot about it so every time nature called I was forever extracating myself out of the trap and removing the bamboo puji sticks from my feet...anyhow I am digressing If anyone knows how Man landing on the Moon ends dont tell me I been waiting age's to see this..:rolleyes:

In essence it's not the money I paid for excess bags it's not being told when I purchased the tickets or at the airport when I left that there would be a charge on return. But hey you live and learn.:).

Geez - I knew WA was behind in time - but that far back - that is just shocking :eek::eek::D

I guess I need to watch more TV :o

I too had some trouble in the past with a certain airline that will remain nameless with a fake captain as its mascot .:D

The only reason i heard about the change was through my sister. She doesn't work for a travel agent but its her job at work to book flights when employees need to fly interstate for work. So she informed me. I ahvent seen anything about it on tv but then again i work afternoon shift. Then again SA is always behind to

Hi all - I love how you can check 2 bags if you are travelling to the US but only 1 if you are travelling to Europe!!

I always thought that you were only allowed 1 piece with a max weight of 23kg for internal economy flights!

Looked on the Qantas site, and have provided links to their pages.

I am quite excited as I have just found that as silver frequent flyers, we get a 32kg bag allowance each when flying economy - that will ease my stress when we fly to Sydney and then home from Auckland after our Christmas cruise and when we fly to Perth and then home from Sydney for the one in Feb!

Info on cabin baggage: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/carry-on-baggage/global/en

Info on domestic checked baggage: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/checked-baggage/global/en

Info on pre-purchasing additional baggage allowance: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/prepaid-additional-baggage/global/en

Hi Anna - it seems on domestic flights you can take 2 small bags, or 1 small bag plus a garment bag or 1 larger bag. But all must weigh 7kg or less.

2 x 105cm (41in) bags or

1 x 105cm (41in) bag plus 1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag or

1 x 115cm (45in) bag

Its not that well known but apparently your 23 kg of checked luggage could be split up over 2 bags. My last trip my friend had her suitcase and then a makeup bag. The combined weight was less than 23 kg so it was ok.

However now they have changed it so you can only have 1 suitcase weighing 23 kg

Travellers beware :confused:..only one bag is allowed on Qantas now for internal flights, apparentley the rules changed on the 1st of June. We got caught with this on our return leg from Sydney to the West.

As we flew out at the end of May we could take 2 bags each if we wanted.

On returning from our cruise we were slugged $30 per extra bag we were holding. We were told if you have a international flight no probs...My answer to that was "We were on a cruise that went international"..There answer was that "Cruises don't count"..I replied "Ohh am I on camera and will this be going on one of those Tv airport shows?"..all I got back was a strange look..lol

It may have been different maybe??? If we sorted our flights and cruise together from P&O or a travel agent..But as we booked our flights through a major travel agent who should remain anonymous (but they do have a bogus looking air captain for a mascot) and we sourced the best possible price for our cruise on-line. We were not aware of this and nor were we not told.

Hope it saves someone some money :)

You didn't buy your return ticket before 1 December 2010 by any chance?

Qantas Baggage Entitlements -

For tickets issued before 1 December 2010

Allowance

Economy 23kg (50lb)

The rules changed for tickets issued after 1 December 2010

Well looks like we are getting some clarification on this issue.

I still find it hard to swallow that if you are going on an international flight you can carry more but that if you are going on a cruise ship that is not deemed to be traveling internationaly, so you will be stung with excess unless you link or book a package with a cruise line or a travel agent and obviously pay a premium to do this. :confused:

Anyway on a lighter note after I got back to my cave last night..exhausted after having to chase my dinner for what seemed like days but in reality was only 3 hours. I was dissapointed to discover that after unpacking my new black and white T.V. and because of W.A's time differance, the Moon landing had been put back to next week. Instead I was forced to watch Bonanza, and Star Trek. I liked Star Trek I found that more believable than Bonanza (I find it hard to believe that "Hoss" Cartwright could ever make it as a cowboy let alone get up on a horse). Im sure Star Trek would be exactly like what it will be like when man finally lands on the moon...:D

I'm a QF Club member and am trying to book flights for next week. This one bag rule is just plane stupid! No wonder they're going bankrupt (sell your shares!!!!) As has been said, domestic economy can take 1 bag at 23 kg, FF me with QF Club membership can take 32 kg in domestic economy.............but only in 1 bag!!! What the???!!! This is just ridiculous! Oh but wait, I can take my one ginormous bag of 32 kg (OK that is a good thing for cruising LOL) and I can take my suit pack as carryon (which I do to save ironing :p) but that can't weigh more than 7 kg. BUT I can't split the 32 kg into one bag and one suit bag and check it...................................<insert swear words> I hate Qantas, even more so now that I can never use the FF points :mad:

Hi Anna - it seems on domestic flights you can take 2 small bags, or 1 small bag plus a garment bag or 1 larger bag. But all must weigh 7kg or less.

2 x 105cm (41in) bags or

1 x 105cm (41in) bag plus 1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag or

1 x 115cm (45in) bag

Quite right Nellie. I take a supersize handbag too. ;)

Phew..That explains it!! Those adds must not have aired yet in W.A :D Actually I am eagerly awaiting the broadcast tonight of man landing on the moon and went out today and brought myself one of those new fangled black and white T.V's (the neighbours will be so envious:D)...so when I get home to night all I have to do is rub two sticks together to start a fire to warm my cave, find a long stick and sharpen it at one end, catch my dinner that will probley be just the normal wild boar that frequents our area..I have found that the sharp stick works alot better than the drop-trap I had previously used I now eat every 2nd week instead of every 3rd..the other down fall of the drop-trap is that i continuously forgot about it so every time nature called I was forever extracating myself out of the trap and removing the bamboo puji sticks from my feet.:D..anyhow I am digressing If anyone knows how Man landing on the Moon ends dont tell me I been waiting age's to see this..:rolleyes:

It's O.K. Scurvy dog, I had not heard of it either, only news was an apology from Qantas via Email re: why they would not allow planes up with chile volcano ash, nothing about baggage or tv ads here in S.A. They must think W.A. and S.A. don't fly with qantas, so thank you for letting us know.

You didn't buy your return ticket before 1 December 2010 by any chance?

Qantas Baggage Entitlements -

For tickets issued before 1 December 2010

Allowance

Economy 23kg (50lb)

The rules changed for tickets issued after 1 December 2010

Na Down Under I booked about 3 months ago :confused:????

Well looks like we are getting some clarification on this issue.

I still find it hard to swallow that if you are going on an international flight you can carry more but that if you are going on a cruise ship that is not deemed to be traveling internationaly, so you will be stung with excess unless you link or book a package with a cruise line or a travel agent and obviously pay a premium to do this.

Anyway on a lighter note after I got back to my cave last night..exhausted after having to chase my dinner for what seemed like days but in reality was only 3 hours. I was dissapointed to discover that after unpacking my new black and white T.V. and because of W.A's time differance, the Moon landing had been put back to next week. Instead I was forced to watch Bonanza, and Star Trek. I liked Star Trek I found that more believable than Bonanza (I find it hard to believe that "Hoss" Cartwright could ever make it as a cowboy let alone get up on a horse). Im sure Star Trek would be exactly like what it will be like when man finally lands on the moon...:D

I must take this statement back Qantas's baggage rules seem to be as clear as mud.:confused:

On a lighter note I finally got to watch man land on the moon last night and I must say all though an achievement..I cannot understand why they did not include Dr Spock on the Apollo Crew :(..I know he has big ears but what would of happened if there was aliens up there we might of needed Spock to do his mind-meld or that cool sign he does with his fingers and hands..good thing they left Scotty behind his accent would of just been annoying plus it is obvious that the "Engines could take it" so to have him on board saying "Da engine's wont take it Captain" would have only caused concern..In the end I switched over and watched "the Banana Splits" I would love one of those little buggies they drive around in, they could of used them on the moon missions as they look alot better than those so called moon buggies.

Maybe Scotty could get a job with Qantas so he could improve there engines thus allowing us to carry more luggage :)

Just a update on my cave.. I thought I heard something outside last night, all sorts of thing were running through my mind. At first I thought It may have been the previous owner of my cave a Neanderthal called Ugg..or worse a stalker from Cruise Critic..upon investigating it turned out being a woolly mammoth scratching its hairy butt on the outside of my cave..he now makes a great rug for my floor..and I traded some of the meat for a dugout canoe and plan to use his tusks to make a rocking chair :D

Archived