Shuttle "scam" at Port Everglades

lovecruzin

Just a warning to those who will be disembarking at Port Everglades...Yesterday as we were leaving we went to the taxi line and said we wanted to go to the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina (a 5 min ride), the kid organizing directed us to a shuttle van and said it would be $11. We thought that's fine, it was $9 to get here from the same hotel. When we got in the van we asked and all the other passengers were going to FLL and it was $11 per person (which is reasonable for the airport)... we got out of the van and asked for our bags back, saying the price was too high - they were not willing to get our bags out of the back until we started to take them out by ourselves. :mad:

We finally got our taxi to the hotel, $10 - the cab driver said they try to do this all the time, and passengers are not aware that they are being ripped off.

Beware, if you are going to a hotel nearby a taxi may be a better option for you.

Just a warning to those who will be disembarking at Port Everglades...Yesterday as we were leaving we went to the taxi line and said we wanted to go to the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina (a 5 min ride), the kid organizing directed us to a shuttle van and said it would be $11. We thought that's fine, it was $9 to get here from the same hotel. When we got in the van we asked and all the other passengers were going to FLL and it was $11 per person (which is reasonable for the airport)... we got out of the van and asked for our bags back, saying the price was too high - they were not willing to get our bags out of the back until we started to take them out by ourselves. :mad:

We finally got our taxi to the hotel, $10 - the cab driver said they try to do this all the time, and passengers are not aware that they are being ripped off.

Beware, if you are going to a hotel nearby a taxi may be a better option for you.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

I agree taxis are usually a better deal, as you pay by the person for most of the van shuttles compared to a meter in a taxi for up to 4 people. I wouldn't go so far to say that $11 to the Hilton is a scam compared to $11 to the airport, especially from the Eller Dr terminals, where the OP would have disembarked their Celebrity ship. The airport is about the same distance away. I don't even know why they would put you on that van when everyone else is going to the airport considering the Hilton is completely the opposite direction from the airport.

What I think is a scam is that you have to deal with that person (the so-called organizer the OP referred to) at all, and they of course want a tip. You see a line of cabs, you go over to them. Why do I need this other guy with his hand out to even be involved?

Here is what I see as the problem......when the kid directing you to the shuttle said $11, you failed to ask if that was for both of you or per person. You made the assumption that the price was for both. Shuttles always charge per person.

Fortunately it worked out ok for you.

I have to go from port to Crown plaza. i know the coast from air port is like $11-15 is this correct? was told from calling the cab company got # of FLL airport web sight. how long was the line to get a cab at the port. the crown plaza has a shuttle put i was told its $8 pp and the hotel is close to port. i will just take a cab..

I have to go from port to Crown plaza. i know the coast from air port is like $11-15 is this correct? was told from calling the cab company got # of FLL airport web sight. how long was the line to get a cab at the port. the crown plaza has a shuttle put i was told its $8 pp and the hotel is close to port. i will just take a cab..

There is a minimum fare of $10 from the port, and I can't imagine a cab running more than that to the Crowne Plaza.

I have used very few taxis being that we drive all the time but do the taxis taking you from a port Canaveral hotel to the port cost any more than the $10 that has been posted or will it be more with the tip?

This is about Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale). I have no idea on taxi fares at Port Canaveral. But I can't imagine they are too high if you are staying at the Radisson or Country Inn & Suites on Astronaut Blvd.

I have used very few taxis being that we drive all the time but do the taxis taking you from a port Canaveral hotel to the port cost any more than the $10 that has been posted or will it be more with the tip?

Any flat taxi rates posted or final amount due on the meter never includes the tip. That's a personal choice. No matter where in the U. S. you travel.

What I think is a scam is that you have to deal with that person (the so-called organizer the OP referred to) at all, and they of course want a tip. You see a line of cabs, you go over to them. Why do I need this other guy with his hand out to even be involved?

We never tip the "organizer" when just waiting in line for a run of the mill cab. If he had to call a handicapped equiped van or make some other special effort to help us, ok. But just to say " You're next. Where are you going?" No tip from us. ;)

We never tip the "organizer" when just waiting in line for a run of the mill cab. If he had to call a handicapped equiped van or make some other special effort to help us, ok. But just to say " You're next. Where are you going?" No tip from us. ;)

Well, when both him and the taxi driver said he would like a tip, I figured that making a stand when we were trying to get to the airport wasn't a good idea.

I agree taxis are usually a better deal, as you pay by the person for most of the van shuttles compared to a meter in a taxi for up to 4 people. I wouldn't go so far to say that $11 to the Hilton is a scam compared to $11 to the airport, especially from the Eller Dr terminals, where the OP would have disembarked their Celebrity ship. The airport is about the same distance away. I don't even know why they would put you on that van when everyone else is going to the airport considering the Hilton is completely the opposite direction from the airport.

I specifically said I want a Taxi to the FL Hilton, I knew the ride would be about $10 via taxi so $22 is a rip off..when I asked for a taxi he should have directed me to the taxis...so yes, I would call it a scam... I am only trying to make others aware and pass along the info...

Here is what I see as the problem......when the kid directing you to the shuttle said $11, you failed to ask if that was for both of you or per person. You made the assumption that the price was for both. Shuttles always charge per person.

Fortunately it worked out ok for you.

Yes, my bad...but what really angered me was them not wanting to get our bag out of the back (we used the luggage valet so we are not talking 3 large suitcases!) and arguing with me saying a taxi would not be cheaper...

I specifically said I want a Taxi to the FL Hilton, I knew the ride would be about $10 via taxi so $22 is a rip off..when I asked for a taxi he should have directed me to the taxis...so yes, I would call it a scam... I am only trying to make others aware and pass along the info...

That's fine and hopefully others learn from your experience. I'm just disagreeing with you that the shuttle fee is a rip-off based on what a taxi costs. It's like saying Starbucks is a rip-off simply because a coffee at Dunkin Donuts is a third of the price. Who knows who you talked to, because as far as I know, there aren't any "official" impartial taxi/shuttle co-ordinators at the port, just people trying to drum up business for their respective companies. If I asked someone for a taxi, and he sent me to a van, I would say "No, I want a taxi" before anyone grabbed my stuff and put it in a van.

I posted about this months ago...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1530414

Not a scam, but unseasoned cruisers and people that just let themselves be guided get the shuttle all the time. There is a sign there clearly showing the price,PP for the shuttle, so if you don't know any better, you will pay almost double a cab price to go to the airport.

Shuttles everywhere, even out of the country charge PP and don't move until full. Its the standard

Even the FLL airport shuttle works like this if going to the port, just be aware of cost,if that is a factor for you

I posted about this months ago...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1530414

Not a scam, but unseasoned cruisers and people that just let themselves be guided get the shuttle all the time. There is a sign there clearly showing the price,PP for the shuttle, so if you don't know any better, you will pay almost double a cab price to go to the airport.

Shuttles everywhere, even out of the country charge PP and don't move until full. Its the standard

Even the FLL airport shuttle works like this if going to the port, just be aware of cost,if that is a factor for you

Thanks for the link to your post... I saw a sign for taxis and shuttles, followed it and asked for a taxi, like at the aiport I thought maybe you had to que up for the taxis. When I was told by the taxi driver that this happens to trusting people all the time I just wanted to pass along the information. And again, when I asked for my bag they should not have argued and made it sound like I was getting a good deal...I would have been fine paying the $11 pp if I had been going to FLL.

Considering I don't live in Florida I thought I was posting about Port Caniveral so excuse the _ _ _ _ out of me and Happy Easter to you:(

Aww, come on. DanJ is one of the most helpful people on this entire site. He was not rude to you. I'm sorry you felt the need to reply rudely to him. :(

I would have been fine paying the $11 pp if I had been going to FLL.

That's what I'm confused about. Why would you be okay paying that to the airport, but it's a scam to pay that to the Hilton, which is just about the same distance away, in the opposite direction?

That's what I'm confused about. Why would you be okay paying that to the airport, but it's a scam to pay that to the Hilton, which is just about the same distance away, in the opposite direction?

Had we not gotten off the van, it would have cost $11 pp plus tip (so $25~) to get to the Hilton. Our taxi was $10 total incl tip.

The ship transfers to the airport would have been at least $11 pp so that is why the $11 pp on the van to FLL does not seem unreasonable.

What I am calling a scam is that when I specifically asked for a taxi to the hotel, my bag was taken to a van and I was told it would take US there for $11, when I called them on it they were less than honest/accommodating. It was not until I asked the other pax that I found out they were going to the airport, not the hotel. So, we would have had to ride to the airport first or, the others would have had to make a detour to the hotel...

May this is not the place to state this but--we were in Ft. L a year ago and needed to get from the airport to The W hotel. From what I had read on the boards a cab should be reasonable. The cab ended up being $38. From what I had read he was taking us a long way but he would not listen to us. Needless to say, we did not tip--may be that was wrong too.l Anyway my ? is how do we make sure we aren't take for a ride again--no pun in intended.

May this is not the place to state this but--we were in Ft. L a year ago and needed to get from the airport to The W hotel. From what I had read on the boards a cab should be reasonable. The cab ended up being $38. From what I had read he was taking us a long way but he would not listen to us. Needless to say, we did not tip--may be that was wrong too.l Anyway my ? is how do we make sure we aren't take for a ride again--no pun in intended.

This is EXACTLY the place for your comments. The VAST majority of tourist complaints in FLL are the result of being scammed on transportation. That is the sole reason I signed up here. That cab ride is 6.6 miles. The rates are $2.40 per mile plus $2.50 at start-up. Wait times can add up if there are traffic jams, the bridge is up etc... But your ride should have been under $20 excl. tip.

I post this many times on different threads. I'm new here so can anyone advise how/where I can make a static post for easy reference?

I really want to clarify that the following type of conduct is NOT the norm by any means! It's about 5% of the cabbies/shuttles that scam people but they give them all a bad rap as a result of their thievery! Be aware, do NOT be intimidated. Speak up when warranted and you will come out ahead if you end up dealing with one of the scammers.

1) TAXI'S - There are no flat rates for taxi's. However, there is a $10 minimum taxi charge (as posted on the cabs rear windows) for being PICKED UP AT PORT EVERGLADES, NOT TO BE DROPPED OFF THERE! Make sure when you get in the meter is turned ON and is under $3.00 when he puts it in drive. It starts up at $2.50 but if he turned it on and then loaded your bags it may be $2.90. If not, tell him to reset the meter (it's a simple push of a button and regardless of what they say, they are not only allowed to do so, they are REQUIRED by ordinance to do so.)

If there's anything covering the meter screen tell the driver to move the obstruction. Some of them hang stuff from their rearview mirror to purposely run the meter up to several dollars and then pause the meter, awaiting their next passenger. The stuff obstructing the meter prevents you from seeing a big charge already on there and all you see is him push a button... but he is really just taking it off of pause-mode.

If you are taking a taxi, have a map reference printout from Google Maps or pull it up on your smartphone. If they see a smartphone in your hand they will likely drive directly to your destination as they may think you're following up with a GPS. Also, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE EXACT ADDRESS OF YOUR DESTINATION! IF YOU TELL THEM A HOTEL NAME THEY MAY TAKE YOU TO A SAME NAME HOTEL AND THEN YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THE EXTRA FARE TO GET TO THE SPECIFIC HOTEL YOU ARE STAYING AT! THAT WILL BE YOUR FAULT AND THEY HAVE PLAUSIBLE DENIAL FOR TAKING YOU TO THE WRONG PLACE! The police cannot help you in this situation if you only told them a name of something. GIVE THEM THE ADDRESS IMMEDIATELY UPON ENTERING THE CAB!

If you get into a dispute with a cabbie seek out a police officer/deputy sheriff nearby if available, if not available then tell the cabbie to CALL THE POLICE BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT PAYING UNTIL AN OFFICER ARRIVES. I'm sure they will settle the issue right then and there without calling the police. They (the unscrupulous ones) are banking that you'll just pay the rip-off price and don't want "trouble". If the police DO get called make sure you get the name of the cabbie, their hack license number and the cab co. name and taxi cab number before the officer leaves. You can file a complaint online at Broward.org/consumer affairs. They DO take complaints seriously and it is the only way to keep track and punish them (steep fines, really) for scamming passengers and they may even lose their Hack license. The cabbies are not allowed to refuse any fare for any reason (except drunk-disorderly passengers) but they will try to send you to a shuttle for a short trip where they will not make much money. Again, if you are refused by a cabbie and if you are inside the port then seek out a deputy sheriff (white shirt-green pants-gun on hip), not a brown shirted security guard. The guards who help with traffic do not know the transportation rules and have no authority to enforce them anyway. It's simply not their job thus they are not trained to handle it.

2) SHUTTLES - They are supposed to take only groups of people/luggage who are not able to fit into ONE taxi. They're not supposed to wait to fill up. Their pp rates are gov't approved.

The unscrupulous ones will ask "Where are you going?" as they "help" you with your luggage and load it into a van. DON'T LET ANYONE TOUCH YOUR BAGS UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED THEM TO. CONFIRM A PRICE BEFORE ANYTHING OR ANYONE GETS LOADED INSIDE A VAN. IF YOU ARE A PARTY THAT CAN FIT INTO A TAXI, TAKE A TAXI! IF YOU NEED MORE THAN ONE TAXI THEN YOU HAVE TO DO THE MATH!

Lastly, another scam is they will knowingly close the trunk with a bag/purse/backpack/computer case inside and drive away. They do this on purpose so that after they wait about 30 minutes they return as the "hero, honest man" to return the property and of course they linger for a tip!

Happy Trails!

Archived