Sewage smell on Explorer?

I was on Explorer last year in August...I'll be on it again this year in August.

I read a few posts here about people having sewage smells in their rooms?? Is it really bad? :/ Last year I was deck 10 midship with an inside room and had no problem...this year I will be deck 9 between midship and aft with a balcony port side...anyone stayed over there recently and had a big problem? I'm so worried :/

I was on Deck 9 inside and it was disgusting. It was steady and consistent for about 4 days, but I whiffed a bad smell at least once a day.

It seems like a room about 5 doors down had a leak or something. The door was always ajar which made it worse and I heard a fan going off in there on more than 1 occasion. Also, there was a head officer that was always checking in with the stateroom attendant that was assigned to that room.

I was in room 9581. That smell alone is deterring me from booking the 7 night Bahamas cruise in January.

I was on Deck 9 inside and it was disgusting. It was steady and consistent for about 4 days, but I whiffed a bad smell at least once a day.

It seems like a room about 5 doors down had a leak or something. The door was always ajar which made it worse and I heard a fan going off in there on more than 1 occasion. Also, there was a head officer that was always checking in with the stateroom attendant that was assigned to that room.

I was in room 9581. That smell alone is deterring me from booking the 7 night Bahamas cruise in January.

Thanks for the honesty...does anyone else have any experiences with this? Would I be better off forward instead of aft? or does it not really make a difference?

at last report, from here the smell was not that bad , and only lasted a few hours and was gone when she set sail, according to RCCL they have fixed the major issues, if you have cruise before than you will have noticed this smell on every ship at one time or another, we sailed Miracle by Carnival and the smell was horrible, BUT, it did not take away from our CRUISE, EXPLORER is a GREAT ship with a GREAT crew...ENJOY your sailing !

at last report, from here the smell was not that bad , and only lasted a few hours and was gone when she set sail, according to RCCL they have fixed the major issues, if you have cruise before than you will have noticed this smell on every ship at one time or another, we sailed Miracle by Carnival and the smell was horrible, BUT, it did not take away from our CRUISE, EXPLORER is a GREAT ship with a GREAT crew...ENJOY your sailing !

Thanks I feel a lot better...just curious Virtopia when did you cruise on explorer?

We were on the March 19th cruise and the only smell onboard (and inside) was between deck 11 and 10 in the stairwell by the windjammer (and around the corner form the restroom). I didn't spend any time in the deck 9 hallways, so have no recent info form there.

Thanks I feel a lot better...just curious Virtopia when did you cruise on explorer?

The January 27th sailing.

Now, let me make note that I still enjoyed my cruise immensely, but that smell wasn't a normal ship smell. I use to work with a ferry company and was also on the Liberty and Majesty and never smelled anything like that.

We've sailed EOS several times with cabins forward, aft, and 9th deck mid ship port side and are booked in cabin 9603 this coming July. Not suggesting reports are not true, but we have never smelled any foul oders on any of our EOS cruises.

I certainly hope that RCCL has adequately addressed this problem and the complaints will become fewer.

When we're you on the Explorer?

We were also just on the March 19th cruise, and we did not smell anything at all during the entire cruise, including in between floors of 10 and 11 in the stairwell near the Windjammer. If there was a smell, it might have been for a very, very short period of time.

Being in the media field, I made a point of walking from one end of the ship to the other on every deck during the cruise to see for myself if I could smell anything based on reports I read before the cruise, and to report my findings upon returning home.

No smell at all. I am not saying the above poster wrong, however, many of you know from cruising in the past, that on every cruise, there are many people that complain about everything and, exaggerate and blow up things that are of no relevance to 99% of everyone else. Some people just like drama.

We were also just on the March 19th cruise, and we did not smell anything at all during the entire cruise, including in between floors of 10 and 11 in the stairwell near the Windjammer. If there was a smell, it might have been for a very, very short period of time.

Being in the media field, I made a point of walking from one end of the ship to the other on every deck during the cruise to see for myself if I could smell anything based on reports I read before the cruise, and to report my findings upon returning home.

No smell at all. I am not saying the above poster wrong, however, many of you know from cruising in the past, that on every cruise, there are many people that complain about everything and, exaggerate and blow up things that are of no relevance to 99% of everyone else. Some people just like drama.

I'm assuming you are referring to me. I'm glad you walked the whole ship, but you weren't on my sailing. As I said, I loved the cruise, but I could've done without the smell. That's me giving my honest opinion to the OP's question.

Edited by Virtopia

I was on Explorer last year in August...I'll be on it again this year in August.

I read a few posts here about people having sewage smells in their rooms?? Is it really bad? :/ Last year I was deck 10 midship with an inside room and had no problem...this year I will be deck 9 between midship and aft with a balcony port side...anyone stayed over there recently and had a big problem? I'm so worried :/

And no smell whatsoever, enjoy, relax...:)..K.O. outside of Philly

You said you were on the March 19 sailing and so were we. So I was on your sailing. If you did indeed smell something that was very unfortunate as most others did not smell anything...and if they did, it was so minor, it wasn't even worth bringing up.

I was on March 9-19 in cabin 9516. I was very worried after reading so much about the odor. Our room was fine, not a whiff. I too walked the hallways quite a bit and didn't notice it at all. I did notice it twice, once in a public bathroom, near the ice rink I believe, and once near the main pool area. Both times I noticed it it was so fleeting, as soon as I thought 'oh my gosh, there's that smell!' it was gone. We loved the ship. The staff was wonderful and all the areas I thought very well maintained. I was also concerned that it was going to be in really rough shape, but didn't find that to be the case. Yes, some of it is dated, but really it is very nice.

Maybe I have an over sensitive nose but I did occasionally smell something in the halls, midship, on deck 9 and 10.

We were on for the March 9th and 19th cruises in JS 9606. The bathroom had an odor, which I told the cabin about and he used something to rid, or mask it. However, the odor came back after a couple of hours. So I bought an air freshener in one of the ports to put in the bathroom which helped alot.

We were on deck 8 aft (not AFT) portside. We did smell a slight smell, and there also was an inside cabin that looked like they had a leak. They had fans, and vacuums at the room. I wonder if it's a common occurance. I have to say, that we weren't that bothered by the smell. It kind of came and went. Not a big problem.

Maybe I have an over sensitive nose but I did occasionally smell something in the halls, midship, on deck 9 and 10.

We were on for the March 9th and 19th cruises in JS 9606. The bathroom had an odor, which I told the cabin about and he used something to rid, or mask it. However, the odor came back after a couple of hours. So I bought an air freshener in one of the ports to put in the bathroom which helped alot.

We were on the same sailing ;) . Upon embarkation, there was a noticeably foul odor at the gangway on deck 1. Our state room was 9558 (port side, fore). In our room, we did not notice anything. However, we did notice occasional odors by the Deck 9 elevators/stariwell towards the aft of the ship (outside the concierge lounge). By then end of the cruise, we really did not notice it anymore. Nor did we notice it at debarkation on Deck 1. Perhaps, they resolved some issued during the sailing? Further, there was one evening that 4 of our table mates stated that their stateroom toilets would not work (that part of the sanitation system was shut down)... which may indicate that maintenance was working on something. Either way, it had no effect on our vacation... we had a great time!

Don't know if it's related or not, but when we've had bad smells in the bathroom (not self-caused :o), a few glasses of water down the floor drain seemed to help immensely. I think the water fills a possibly dry trap and prevents backflow of gas from the drain.

Also, i was the one who very briefly, and only on one night, got a whiff of something less than appetizing between 11 and 10 by windjammer. Didn't smell it any other time over 11 nights, so that counts as effectively no smell in my book. I just wanted to state full disclosure.

• 1 year later...

EVERY ship experiences this problem from time to time. It's the nature of the ship's system. They can post all of the signs they want about what to flush and what not to flush but all it takes is ONE guest to flush that item we won't talk about here and everyone on that sewage line starts having problems. Walk down various hallways on any ship any given day and I'll bet you can find a sewage smell some place.

If you can't deal with it you probably should not be cruising because no one can predict if it might happen to you and in your cabin. It all depends on what the people near you decide to flush!