Carnival excursion to Peggy's Cove

Rent a car and do it yourself. You don't need a guide nor a GPS to do this, and that way you can spend as much time you want to there and at the Swiss Air Memorial nearby, and maybe head to Lunenburg for lunch and shopping

I agree. Renting a car was an easy walk from the ship. Go out the terminal, cut through the hotel right in front of you and the rental agency is to to the far left of the building (your left, as you walk towards the back of the hotel).

If I had it to do all over again I would go to the Maple Syrup place first, stop for lunch at Reyer and Reyer lobster and THEN go to Peggy's Cove at a time when all of the buses are almost guaranteed to be gone.

We did rental cars in every port except Quebec. I hated the whole rental car scene in Sydney. Very time consuming and tedious and just not enough time there to do much so I really wouldn't advise anyone to do that. But Peggy's Cove was very easy.

If you are disable and walking isn't your thing, then a tour would be a good thing.

I agree. Renting a car was an easy walk from the ship. Go out the terminal, cut through the hotel right in front of you and the rental agency is to to the far left of the building (your left, as you walk towards the back of the hotel).

If I had it to do all over again I would go to the Maple Syrup place first, stop for lunch at Reyer and Reyer lobster and THEN go to Peggy's Cove at a time when all of the buses are almost guaranteed to be gone.

We did rental cars in every port except Quebec. I hated the whole rental car scene in Sydney. Very time consuming and tedious and just not enough time there to do much so I really wouldn't advise anyone to do that. But Peggy's Cove was very easy.

If you are disable and walking isn't your thing, then a tour would be a good thing.

Is the Reyer and Reyer Lobster place you refer to on the way to Peggy's Cove? We are planning to do car rental in port in May and I definitely want to include lobster in our itinerary...on a daily basis if possible!

Is the Reyer and Reyer Lobster place you refer to on the way to Peggy's Cove? We are planning to do car rental in port in May and I definitely want to include lobster in our itinerary...on a daily basis if possible!

Ok, just sat down and mapped out what we did. We rented a car near the terminal and essentially took this loop to Peggy's Cove and then stayed ON Peggy's Cove Road. The lobster place will be on your left and is easy to miss. Very non assuming and it looks like a house with picnic benches out front. You go in and pick your lobster and they boil it for you. I think mine was around $8.00. Then we stayed on the road and made a stop at Acadian Maple products. Might not be a big stop for you since it looks like you live in Canada. But we are from Texas so it was something unique for us.

If I were to do it again, I think I would take the loop but BACKWARDS so as to avoid the tour buses..but maybe there are afternoon tours there too ? It seems like they all arrived at the same time in the morning, unleashed the floodgates and then poof they were all gone!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=halifax+and+peggy's+cove+map&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x4b5a02e9d854b0e5:0x6b8306124c808566,Peggys+Cove,+NS,+Canada&gl=us&ei=rtQ4Ud3MIbC_2QX0woHIBg&ved=0CDcQ8gEwAA

It is Ryers and if you go via Tantallon it is just past Peggy's Cove in Indian Harbour on the right hand side. They steam to order, also have oysters, clams and mussels.

Thank you all so much for your input on renting a car :) I'll have to keep that in mind.

However, at this time I am still looking for an answer to my specific question...does anyone know which excursion will allow the longest amount of time at Peggy's Cove?

If your ship tours doesn't indicate then check with Ambassadour Tours, I am sure they do them. If not long enough and you don't want to drive there are many private tours which obviously you can then spend as long as your time in port allows?

Thank you all so much for your input on renting a car :) I'll have to keep that in mind.

However, at this time I am still looking for an answer to my specific question...does anyone know which excursion will allow the longest amount of time at Peggy's Cove?

Might want to ask on the Carnival board, as most of the folks on this board are experienced travelers who don't take ship's excursions and would not know the answer to your question.

or you can contact Carnival or your travel agent directly as they would absolutely know the answer to your question.

We had planned on renting a car and even had the reservation until I (stupid) left my credit card on the ship. We ended up hiring a taxi with another couple right on the pier. The drive to Peggy's took about an hour and we had an hour to explore and then an hour back to Halifax. He did the full loop. Our driver was really nice. Even though he didn't have to, he drove us up to the Cidatel so we could see a beautiful view of the harbour.

I hope you find your answer! Sorry to bog you down with rental information. We parked our rental car and then walked up the street to the lighthouse. In that time we watched tour buses whiz up, unload, let their people walk out onto the rocks and pose for some pics, go to the little souvenier shop and then they were herding them back in QUICKLY. You would seriously seriously be better off hiring a private driver.

• 3 weeks later...

have you looked at the excursion page on Crnival web site. Because there are a few excursions to peggys cove-- and clicking on it tells you the time the excursion is for.

some where is the discription it will be listed- for example

Note: Peggy’s Cove portion is by coach and the city tour by double decker. Departure time indicated on your ticket is departure time for the Peggy’s Cove. The duration of the Peggy’s Cove portion is approximately 3 hours and the city portion by double decker bus is at your leisure.This excursion will operate in reverse for afternoon departures. but that is including traveling time

another lists that time there is

Free time at Peggy’s Cove is approximately 60 minutes (peggys and titanic)

So after viewing the options its seems you get to spend one hour at the cove itself with ANY excursion planned

looks like each bus ride takes an hour to get there, an hour to get back and an hour to expore the Cove

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the links to the routes. I just booked us a cruise that leaves in four and a half weeks. It will be early in the season. Our ship (1,266 passengers) is the only one on the calendar the day we're there (http://www.cruisehalifax.ca/our-visitors/). There are some days in the fall with three cruise ship and over 6,000 passengers.

Our Glory cruise is the only ship in port. Maybe because we are the only ship I may feel comfortable renting a car. (van is 69.00 which will tranport all 4-6 of us to Peggys Cove compared to 69pp to get us there for one hour

• 1 month later...

The best part about renting the car on our cruise was to be able to set our own timetable. We stopped at some places we wouldn't have seen on an excursion (and did not have to wait for large groups of people getting on and off a bus). The one thing I wished I had done differently is decline to pay for half a tank of gas upfront as the car rental guy suggested. I figured it would save time not having to fuel up before turning the car in. But we used about one-sixth of a tank--so we paid for one-third of a tank we did not use. We would have saved about $30. Even if we had made it to Mahone Bay and Lunneburg, paying upfront wouldn't have been worth it.

What company is the best/closest to rent from by the port? Also we will be there in June and not all of Lunenburg will be open(like costumes and reinactments) is it still worth stopping at?

You are confusing Lunenburg with Louisbourg (which you would visit from Sydney).

Here is some car rental information for Halifax which I have gleaned from previous posts;

Enterprise and/or National are in the Via rail station in front of Cruise port they are open 9-1 Sundays for Cruise ship passengers 423-0227

Thrifty's is open on Sundays in the Westin Hotel beside Via station.

982-3474

Budget is open 8-4 on Hollis St. at least 4 blocks good 15 min walk but will pick up at Pier if you have reservation just call as soon as you get in.492-7542

Avis is also open on Grafton if you have reservation will also come and pick you up. tel #492-2847 Note if calling out of province AREA CODE is 902 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1675903

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1123125

We just returned. I had prebooked our car rental through Thrifty's in the Westin Hotel right across the street from the port. I had originally tried booking with other rental companies but none of the others were open on the recent holiday Monday. Turned out to be very fortunate as Thrifty's was so convenient to the port and price was the standard going rate. There is a gas station at the grocery store next door to the Westin Hotel so it only took us minutes to refuel before turning the car back in at the front door of the Westin at the end of our day. They provided us with driving maps and routes to Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove. Easy drive; just wished the weather had been a little more cooperative as we didn't spend much time out of the car (raining and gusty). If you are driving out to Peggy's Cove and love lobster, you have to stop at Ryer's Lobster Pound a few minutes West of Peggy's Cove...the best, freshest and cheapest lobster I have ever had...and I have had lots!

We just returned. I had prebooked our car rental through Thrifty's in the Westin Hotel right across the street from the port. I had originally tried booking with other rental companies but none of the others were open on the recent holiday Monday. Turned out to be very fortunate as Thrifty's was so convenient to the port and price was the standard going rate. There is a gas station at the grocery store next door to the Westin Hotel so it only took us minutes to refuel before turning the car back in at the front door of the Westin at the end of our day. They provided us with driving maps and routes to Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove. Easy drive; just wished the weather had been a little more cooperative as we didn't spend much time out of the car (raining and gusty). If you are driving out to Peggy's Cove and love lobster, you have to stop at Ryer's Lobster Pound a few minutes West of Peggy's Cove...the best, freshest and cheapest lobster I have ever had...and I have had lots!

Agree that the drive is easy plus cheaper and more convenient than an excursion. Loved Ryer's. Would go there again if we didn't have plans elsewhere this trip.

We have been looking into renting a van (4 adults and 1 five year old), BUT no maritime rental companies provide car seats!!!! It seems that only airport locations MAY be able to provide a seat. Very disappointing. So...Halifax we will just explore near the port and likely be forced into buying Carnival's St John / St Martin excursion. It seems SO expensive for what we would get, though, compared to renting a van.

Easy drive; just wished the weather had been a little more cooperative as we didn't spend much time out of the car (raining and gusty). If you are driving out to Peggy's Cove and love lobster, you have to stop at Ryer's Lobster Pound a few minutes West of Peggy's Cove...the best, freshest and cheapest lobster I have ever had...and I have had lots!

How easy is it to get around with renting a car?

how long did this take you?

So far on my list is the Peggy's cove. Ryers and Fairview cemetary

Archived