Shellac manicure?

jjtimes2

Thought I would come to the experts on the beauty board for this question :)

I am scheduled for a shellac mani at my regular spa/salon a couple of days before our cruise, but I'm having second thoughts. I get regular pedis but I never get manis as they always chip quickly unless I remember to apply top coat every other day.

If you've had a shellac mani - does it last an entire cruise (our trip is 10 days total)? Is it strong - we'll be snorkeling and zip-lining? Do you have the same issues as traditional polish with it getting dull (and sometimes sticky) from sunscreen? How difficult is it to remove? I have sensitive skin and I'm worried about the chemicals used to remove the polish. If it does chip, is there any hope of doing a touch-up, or not?

I'm considering just doing my own nails and bringing the polish for touch-ups if it chips. I guess I don't want to spend the time or the money on the shellac mani unless it's going to A LOT better than traditional polish.

Thank you for any info!

I've had two of them and they last!

One word of caution, make sure you are getting it done at a salon that is using either real Shellac, Gelish, or OPI products. I had one done "on the cheap" and it chipped within three days. But yes, if it's the real product, they last for a long time and can hold up to a lot of torture. I will be getting one myself before our cruise!

In my opinion shellac does not really last, I work as a manager of a grocery store and the shellac will chip off with in a few days....does it last longer than a regular mani...absolutely...but in my experience if you are active it will chip.

Now what DOES work for me is I get acrylic nails but I have them use the colored powder on the whole nail (generally they just use it in the tip for colored French manis).... Had my nails "sparkly Barbie pink " as I like to call it for my whole cruise and a week and a half of work after I got back. Was very active on the cruise and am super active at work ( I have to stock, check people out unload trucks etc.)

I don't have a problem with chipping but it has pealed off near my cuticles after a week. There is one nail tech that I try to get who does a great job on my cuticles before applying the polish. I never have a problem when I can book with her and it lasts almost 3 weeks if I am on vacation.

Mary Lou

I get shellac/gellish manicures regularly. I think it must depend on who is doing them. I rarely have them peel or chip-mine stay perfect (although grown out at the cuticle) for two weeks. I am hard on my nails-I have small children-always cooking/cleaning etc...

I tried shellac for the first time at the end of May and I have to say I LOVE it!!! I'll never get any other mani from now on. I just chipped 2 nails and of course they are growing out at the cuticle - so time for another!! But it's been weeks in between with no issues.

I, personally, will never get acrylic nails again!! My real nails end up a total mess for months. No thanks!

Give it a try!!

Even with regular polish, if I do 2-3 clear coats and NO PAPERWORK (that seems to be what causes erosion of the color!!), my mani will last for 8-10 days...no problem. you have to remember that you won't be doing your normal, everyday chores, so your nails really won't take the beating that they do at home. Swimming or ziplining shouldn't have any effect at all!

Love the shellac manicures! I didn't have time to get one prior to my last cruise, so got one done at the spa on board. She did a fabulous job and it lasted the full 10 day cruise, plus a full 5 days afterwards in Vegas. Never got sticky or dull from sunscreen or sea water (I did a LOT of snorkling/swimming/beach time) and was easily removed when I got home by soaking my nails in acetone. Could have left the color on longer, but it had grown out too much to look good any more. :)

LOVE THEM - and would NEVER EVER TRAVEL WITHOUT ONE! As mentioned make sure the salon knows what they are doing and using the real stuff - and the RIGHT LIGHTS (I had a place using other than CND lights and it was garbage)...

My shellac lasts 2-3 weeks - and I have it taken off only cuz of the 'nail growth' - the polish is still looking good.

I would recommend others try it a month or two before a cruise - to see if they like it and if the salon in question does a good job....then you can do it right before your cruise....and relax....with no manicure issues! (and many of the ships now do shellac onboard as well). :)

Yes they work. Like others have stated , make sure they are using real products. I get the gel whenever I want it to last longer. I am going to get it before my cruise in 18 days. Have it right now , no chips at all and have it over a week. With regular polish , I would have lots of chips already.

I have had the shellac done, and it does depend on the salon. Sometime mine has peeled (never chipped), but not always. I'm cheap, so I prefer I do my own nails. I bought the Sensationails at home gel kit, and that stuff never peels or chips! They sell a tool to help remove the polish. Pretty much you soak the polish in pure acetone then scrape it off.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have changed over and will only get shellac manicures. I wash my hands about 500 times a day at least 5-6 days a week, plus doing usual chores and now that it's summer swimming, hiking, running, etc. I agree that as long as you go to a place that uses the correct equipment (base, polish, lights, etc) that mine will last about 2 weeks before beginning to peel or chip. I also agree that when I have had it done for cheaper than usual it has started to come off earlier.

I have very sensitive skin with lots of allergies and I have never had an issue with the polish or with soaking in acetone to remove.

I've also done some touch up with regular polish when the polish has started to grow out and looks bad but I need to go somewhere important before I get them done again, and it's possible but easier with dark colors and doesn't last more than a day or so.

Other things I like: it doesn't take much longer than a normal mani if they do it right (extra time is to sit for 1 minute under lights between coats) and that it's dry before I leave. I can reach in my purse, drive a car, get on the subway without a dent or chip or mark!

Thought I would come to the experts on the beauty board for this question :)

I am scheduled for a shellac mani at my regular spa/salon a couple of days before our cruise, but I'm having second thoughts. I get regular pedis but I never get manis as they always chip quickly unless I remember to apply top coat every other day.

If you've had a shellac mani - does it last an entire cruise (our trip is 10 days total)? Is it strong - we'll be snorkeling and zip-lining? Do you have the same issues as traditional polish with it getting dull (and sometimes sticky) from sunscreen? How difficult is it to remove? I have sensitive skin and I'm worried about the chemicals used to remove the polish. If it does chip, is there any hope of doing a touch-up, or not?

I'm considering just doing my own nails and bringing the polish for touch-ups if it chips. I guess I don't want to spend the time or the money on the shellac mani unless it's going to A LOT better than traditional polish.

Thank you for any info!

I only get mani/pedi's when we are going on a trip - so I don't have to carry supplies for touch ups. I always get the Gel polish on my fingernails - I don't get it on my toes because it is expensive and my toes don't take the beating my hands do, so I just get regular polish on my toes. But that Gel - it is amazing! I have gone 3 weeks or longer without a chip, a peel, still so shiny, etc - I only remove it because of nail growth. I remove it at home (because the salon I go to charges $5 to remove it) I don't like to soak my nails/fingers in acetone so I soak a cotton ball (one for each nail) in the acetone, apply it to the nail and wrap each one in tin foil - leave on for 20 minutes and then the polish scrapes right off. I love whomever created Gel polish - it changes your life for traveling whether I get a French mani or just a regular one. I always go to the same salon and I always go with an appointment (rather than walk-in) and I always have the same lady that I request when I make the appointment. She does a great job and it is always consistent. So - give it a try for your cruise - I'll bet you will fall in love with it too!

I can't type too much detail here as I had rotator cuff surgery yesterday but if you also use the search facility at the top for "Shellac" you will get loads more info.

I guess I am the CC Shellac expert! I use it personally and also own a day spa where we use it daily on our clients, I also know the science behind it all.

Under everyday conditions, it will not generally chip, peel or come off if the correct CND products in the system for Shellac have been used, including the CND lamp.

Many places do not do this and this is when problems can occur.

Frankly imo as a pro it is the best product in the no chip manicure market and mainly because of the removal, 6 minutes or so in wraps and no buffing of the nail during application or removal.

I use to wear silk wrap tips and due to work, I have to remove them so I tried the shellac gel and I LOVE it!!!! It defiantly lasts alot longer then a regular polish manicure. Like other posters have said it depends on the brand they use and the experience of the person doing it.

My salon uses the shellac brand over the OPI because she said its easier to soak off.

One point to note, it is not a gel polish as many people incorrectly refer to Shellac, it is a different product to Gelish, Axium, Gelac which are basically watered down gel, basically what they use for doing gel nail enhancements, which is why these gel products have to be buffed and soaked off for a lot longer that Shellac.

I work in inventory control (lots of boxes), play roller derby, and am a gym regular. My husband bought me a Gelish kit for my birthday last year, and the paint job will last perfectly for well over a week even with all the activity. The salon needs to know how long to cure it- ask around and get recommendations for a good salon. Also, most charge $10 or so around my area to remove it. If you have time to remove it yourself when you're done, it is a good way to save money.

I won't go back to regular polish! If you have someone who knows what they're doing to apply it for you, you will be hooked. Doing mine in classic red the night before we cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I got my first shellac mani a week before a two-week cruise. The manicure lasted perfectly, just beginning to peel at the cuticle edge after about 15 days. Since then I've had several shellac manis.

I do wear gloves when I clean and wash dishes.

Frankly imo as a pro it is the best product in the no chip manicure market and mainly because of the removal, 6 minutes or so in wraps and no buffing of the nail during application or removal.

CelticGirl - when I have my nails done they rough up my nails with a buffer. I've been to my local salon and to one listed as authorised on the CND website and both did the same thing.

After the last manicure I let the shellac polish come off and haven't had them re-done. My nails are now quite thin. Is this normal, or have they been mistreating my nails?

CelticGirl - when I have my nails done they rough up my nails with a buffer. I've been to my local salon and to one listed as authorised on the CND website and both did the same thing.

After the last manicure I let the shellac polish come off and haven't had them re-done. My nails are now quite thin. Is this normal, or have they been mistreating my nails?

Yes Janine, both salons were incorrect in buffing the nails and this could have lead to the weakness. This buffing strips the shine off the natural nail and there is absolutely no requirement to do this for Shellac. You are weakening the nail before you even start.

It makes my heart sink when I read things like this as inexperienced people, I hesitate to use the words nail tech, are causing clients problems with their nails because they basically do not know what they are doing with the Shellac system.

On the plus side, CND have recently changed the way salons are authorized as in the beginning it was a case of tick the box if you use x,z,y authorized CND Shellac products and do not buff nails, use only the correct CND lamp to cure the polish, don't soak off in acetone etc. So many unscrupulous salons just said yes and checked the boxes to what CND wanted to hear and they were then on the site as an authorized salons but CND have gotten wise to this as there are so many people still applying it incorrectly, who because they have ticked a few boxes are showing as authorized salons which of course damages the brand.

However, this in no longer the case and all salons have been removed from the site and need to re-register individual techs on Shellac courses. The techs must attend a CND class before they are recorded on the site as an authorized Shellac provider and believe me they will not be taught to buff nails.

Even I have to go and take the course next month to get the spa back on the CND site and then send my techs over the next couple of months to have them listed too and we have always done things by the book. Still I sleep at night and know I am not ripping my clients off or mistreating their nails, which is why they keep coming back.

Celticgirl - can you please explain the correct 'removal' method? I know I soak my nails in something - I assume it is acetone - then the nails are buffed/oiled - would like to know the correct way to remove shellac! Thanks...

And thanks for the info on the recertification - I just checked the site for salons in my area that do shellac - and there are now ONLY TWO!!! - both far away ha ha ha....hope everyone else around here is getting recertified! :)

Good information, celticgirlcruiser!

I normally have a gel manicure. My normal nails are thin and weak:( I keep my nails on the short side and don't do anything special to maintain them. I cook, garden, clean, etc. I'm sitting here 3 weeks into my last manicure with no chips--just the area by the nailbed which shows new growth. I find that if I use a pale shade (currently a light pink shimmer) that the growth is barely noticeable. I normally go every 2-3- weeks for a "fill in" and have been getting my nails done for over 15 years with fiberglass (in the OLD days:rolleyes:) and now with gel for over 3 years. I do give my nails a "breather" every so often--but, like I said before, my unaltered nails are thin and brittle so I can't say that any product that has been used on my nails has caused any deterioration.

Archived