Nocturnal Canopy Tour Zipline Adventure

ksacer

I, too, would love to see some reviews on this excursion. DH and I are seriously considering it. We'll probably end up doing it even if we don't hear from anyone who has done it. But it would be nice to hear from others who have done it.:o

I've got one wacky concern - you're zipping through the jungle at night with a light on your head...does the light draw insects to you? And do the insects hit you in the face?:o

• 4 weeks later...
I, too, would love to see some reviews on this excursion. DH and I are seriously considering it. We'll probably end up doing it even if we don't hear from anyone who has done it. But it would be nice to hear from others who have done it.:o

I've got one wacky concern - you're zipping through the jungle at night with a light on your head...does the light draw insects to you? And do the insects hit you in the face?:o

We are also considering this excursion in November. If you do go on this excursion, please come back and let us know how it was. I'm not scared at all - just want to make sure it's worth it!

If it makes you feel better... We did a short 1 hour walk/hike through the rainforest and not once did a bug buzz me. Now fast forward when we hopped under a rock overhang during a quick rain shower. We were standing there when all of a sudden I notice this thing inches away from my face. I screamed and scared the bejeezus out of DH. It was a tiny spider hanging down on it's thread. DH then pointed out that it was dead, all the while muttering about how I scared him.

BTW, I think once you take off from your platform those bugs that may have found you will have a hard time keeping up with you. Just take a small can of bug spray with you and do a quick spray before you start.

Sheal

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We did this excursion last week. It was really fun! If anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

One thing worth mentioning: if you are uncomfortable with the idea of a little hiking (some uphill, some down) on a narrow and sometimes tricky jungle path in very dim light, this excursion is not for you. It was no problem for DH and me, in our 30's, but an older man (about 70ish) on the excursion with us had a lot of trouble with the hike.

But if the hike doesn't bother you and you think you might like zipping through the dark jungle, go for it! It was a blast and DH and I are both glad we did it.:D

We did this excursion last week. It was really fun! If anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

One thing worth mentioning: if you are uncomfortable with the idea of a little hiking (some uphill, some down) on a narrow and sometimes tricky jungle path in very dim light, this excursion is not for you. It was no problem for DH and me, in our 30's, but an older man (about 70ish) on the excursion with us had a lot of trouble with the hike.

But if the hike doesn't bother you and you think you might like zipping through the dark jungle, go for it! It was a blast and DH and I are both glad we did it.:D

Do you do tour done in El Yunke or closer to San Juan?

Do you do tour done in El Yunke or closer to San Juan?

The zip line course is located in La Marquesa Forest Park, in Guaynabo, south of San Juan. It was a half-hour bus ride down the highway (through evening rush hour traffic) from the cruise terminal.

Our bus driver, John, acted as a tour guide and civics / history teacher the whole way to and from the park. He made the ride much more interesting and informative and definitely earned his tip.:)

The zip line course is located in La Marquesa Forest Park, in Guaynabo, south of San Juan. It was a half-hour bus ride down the highway (through evening rush hour traffic) from the cruise terminal.

Our bus driver, John, acted as a tour guide and civics / history teacher the whole way to and from the park. He made the ride much more interesting and informative and definitely earned his tip.:)

That sounds great that your driver talked, with my experience they mostly just drive you were you need to be. Is it me or is 130 dollars expensive for zip lining?

That sounds great that your driver talked, with my experience they mostly just drive you were you need to be. Is it me or is 130 dollars expensive for zip lining?

Oh, he talked alright.:p He talked so much I thought he would go hoarse! But he really seemed to enjoy sharing information about his country with us. And having lived a large part of his life in NYC, he had a very interesting perspective on a lot of issues. He was very friendly and informative.:)

$130 isn't a cheap, but it seems pretty much on par with similar cruiseline-sponsored excursions. We paid $163 each for our Rainforest Canopy Zipline excursion from NCL in Ketchikan, Alaska. And that was back in 2008! DH and I think both of these zipline excursions were worth every dime we spent on them, including the extra we tipped drivers and zipline staff.:)

Oh, he talked alright.:p He talked so much I thought he would go hoarse! But he really seemed to enjoy sharing information about his country with us. And having lived a large part of his life in NYC, he had a very interesting perspective on a lot of issues. He was very friendly and informative.:)

$130 isn't a cheap, but it seems pretty much on par with similar cruiseline-sponsored excursions. We paid $163 each for our Rainforest Canopy Zipline excursion from NCL in Ketchikan, Alaska. And that was back in 2008! DH and I think both of these zipline excursions were worth every dime we spent on them, including the extra we tipped drivers and zipline staff.:)[/quote

Because i like being guided, then walking around on my own, i started looking into doing tours in Old San Juan. I found a company Island Marketing that does tours all over the Caribbean and they specialize in tours for cruise ship passengers. They Have a canopy zip line tour for $85, why such a big difference?? At the moment i dont have time to do it but looked into it, prefer to take my time and discover Old San Juan for now.

Because i like being guided, then walking around on my own, i started looking into doing tours in Old San Juan. I found a company Island Marketing that does tours all over the Caribbean and they specialize in tours for cruise ship passengers. They Have a canopy zip line tour for $85, why such a big difference?? At the moment i dont have time to do it but looked into it, prefer to take my time and discover Old San Juan for now.

That is considerably cheaper, but of course the ship-sponsored shore excursions are always more expensive than going out and booking it on your own. It's also possible that that is a different (maybe smaller, or not as nice) zipline course than the one offered through the ship.

With a ship-sponsored excursion, you pay a little extra for the convenience and for the security of knowing the cruiseline has checked them out, will stand behind the shore excursion product (to a certain extent), and probably most importantly: the ship won't leave without you.;)

I do ship-sponsored excursions, and DIY excursions, and have also booked with excursion providers myself. There are pluses and minuses to each.

It sounds like you've got a good plan forming for your time in San Juan. Enjoy!:)

One other thing I just remembered: make sure you pack and wear close-toe shoes! They are required for the excursion. I hadn't thought of it until I got the tickets delivered to our cabin and it was noted on them. I wore my water shoes, since they were the only close-toe shoes I had with me that weren't heels.:rolleyes::p As it turns out, they were a good choice: flexible and grippy for the sloped, root-covered jungle paths.:)

• 2 weeks later...

We met the bus at the pier at about 5:30PM, IIRC. The sun started going down shortly thereafter. It was still dusk when we were climbing the mountain in the little locomotive-like tram. And for part of the hike. But by the time we got to the first zip, it was dark.

It got reeaally dark in the jungle! The only lights were on our helmets. It was pretty darned cool!:)

• 1 year later...
We met the bus at the pier at about 5:30PM, IIRC. The sun started going down shortly thereafter. It was still dusk when we were climbing the mountain in the little locomotive-like tram. And for part of the hike. But by the time we got to the first zip, it was dark.

It got reeaally dark in the jungle! The only lights were on our helmets. It was pretty darned cool!:)

cool replies...glad we booked this one for june...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...