Accessible suite - availability

bryanjaync

My partner and I are taking my 83/86 year old parents on a cruise on the Liberty. I booked my parents into a D1 (Balcony). This room, as in i guess all balconies, has a walk in shower. So far so good. My sister has joined the cruise, and will be the third person in their cabin on the sofa bed. She has bunked with them on a couple of other cruises, with no issues. In fact, it is nice to have her along, in that it does free up me and the partner for some time. Plus her and Mom like some girl-time shopping, which does not interest my Dad.

But, I would like to upgrade (my treat) my parents to the Junior Suite for the extra space. But the height of the tub (no walk-in shower in JS) is just too high for them, from a safety issue. The dont use walkers or canes, but still at 83/86, that tub is just too high.

I, nor my parents, would EVER consider denying an accessible room to a person who NEEDED it, versus my situation, where is is simply wanted. (They folks have a perfectly functional D1) But, if no one who NEEDS it books it, is there some waiting list process (?) for folks like my parents, who dont need it, but would like it as long as someone is not denied it.

I mean if the cruise line is just going to bump an abled person from the Guarantee list to the accessible suite, I would be willing to pay for my parents to get it.

Again, dont flame me. No way i would to deny the cabin to someone who needs it in able to go on a cruise, and fully enjoy the cruise.

Call the Special Needs Department at RCCL: 866-592-7225, and ask them what the policy is.

It seems to me that due to your parents' ages, they might put them in an accessible cabin.

I agree about the tub: it reminds me of the tubs you see in Europe. Not to mention you get a choice: step in with a dry tub and freeze for a while waiting for the water to get warm, or get the tub wet with warm water and take your chances high-stepping into a wet tub.

My partner and I are taking my 83/86 year old parents on a cruise on the Liberty. I booked my parents into a D1 (Balcony). This room, as in i guess all balconies, has a walk in shower. So far so good. My sister has joined the cruise, and will be the third person in their cabin on the sofa bed. She has bunked with them on a couple of other cruises, with no issues. In fact, it is nice to have her along, in that it does free up me and the partner for some time. Plus her and Mom like some girl-time shopping, which does not interest my Dad.

But, I would like to upgrade (my treat) my parents to the Junior Suite for the extra space. But the height of the tub (no walk-in shower in JS) is just too high for them, from a safety issue. The dont use walkers or canes, but still at 83/86, that tub is just too high.

I, nor my parents, would EVER consider denying an accessible room to a person who NEEDED it, versus my situation, where is is simply wanted. (They folks have a perfectly functional D1) But, if no one who NEEDS it books it, is there some waiting list process (?) for folks like my parents, who dont need it, but would like it as long as someone is not denied it.

I mean if the cruise line is just going to bump an abled person from the Guarantee list to the accessible suite, I would be willing to pay for my parents to get it.

Again, dont flame me. No way i would to deny the cabin to someone who needs it in able to go on a cruise, and fully enjoy the cruise.

To me, that is a reason to book a handicap room. There is no need to feel guilty. If they honestly can not get into the tub and I can see why it's dangerous, by all means book the room. That's what they are for. I had a stroke and can not feel the left side of my body so I need to sit when I take a shower and I booked a handicap room.

Your parents meet the criteria for an accessible stateroom... if one is available. That is the key, they tend to fill quickly. The grab bars and accessible showers (make sure you request a shower chair) along with the pull cords in the cabin bring a great peace of mind to anyone with some movement issues. My mom uses a walker as her balance is poor... and sometimes she uses a cane, but on the ship the walker in invaluable. We have booked assisted cabins on the last 2 cruises (one two weeks from sailing) and the safety features helped make the cruises stress free! Once you book with closely with the special needs dept... fill out the special needs forms... and enjoy! I hope a JS accessible is available for your parents. The tubs in the JS are just not appropriate for elderly people. You can consider, if they are agreeable, to shower in the spas (I know not really convenient) but the spa/gym showers are large... accessible... and rarely used. This worked great for 4 of us trying to get ready for formal night at the same time (on our very first cruise).

There isnt a waiting list that I know of. I do know RCI will open up accessible cabins generally after the final payment date to all passengers. I would think that would be way too late to wait and it would most likely have already booked by then.

As a cruiser myself that is paralyzed and requires an accessible cabin, I would say you have already given enough reason to book it for your parents. The walkin shower and grab bars in the bathroom will be very beneficial to them. Not that my little opinion matters one way or another but you certainly have my "blessings" to book it.

To me, you arent booking this cabin for your parents just so they have more space. You said the cabin isnt NEEDED but WANTED. I think you have given a legit reason for needing the cabin though. And I highly doubt they would be bumped out of it.

JMHO. :)

Yes you can be placed on wait list for accessible cabins.

If OP has already passed the final payment period all unsold Accessible Cabin will have already been open to the general public. However suggest OP do the following :

• Go to RCCL's website and do mock booking. Under "Stateroom options" click on "I have a mobility or other disability and need an accessible stateroom" OP will than be able to see if there are any accessible cabins still available for booking. If so than immediately contact your TA or RCCL ( if not using a TA)
  • If there are no available accessible cabins and it's still before the final payment period than the assumption can be made that those that have booked these cabins indeed have a need for that cabin. Reason being that if a ship is embarking from a USA port than based on a USA Federal Law that became effective 1/1/2012 anyone booking an accessible cabin now has to certify the need for such cabin. RCCL complies with the certification process. This new law has significantly reduced fraudulent bookings of accessible cabins by able body people just seeking the additional space.
  • If there are no accessible cabins and it's after the final payment , than immediately contact your TA or RCCL directly to speak to the special needs dept. Under the same law stated above RCCL does have the ability to move passengers not needing the accessible to another cabin. However the passengers that booked the accessible cabin after the final payment do not have to agree to the move but it's worth a try.

Sounds to me you have legitimate reason to get accessible cabin. Only you can answer that as you fill out the RCI form. And they will have to sign it.

You might want to consider renting walker and/or wheelchair for one or both since it will be a lot of walking on the ship and especially off the ship.

Update from the OP:

Called the special needs line at RCI. After explaining, they said my parents would definitely qualify for an accessible room due to the fact they could not safely navigate a JS tub.

But, I spoke with my sister who has shared a cabin with our parents on two prior cruises. She said they did fine in the regular balcony cabin with the walk in shower (which is what they have on the Liberty) and to save the money on the upgrade to a JS. Additionally, since we are not upgrading to the JS accessible cabin, no question of feeling 'guilty' about taking the cabin.

So, staying put in the D1 cabin, and going to have a good time !

Thanks for all the input and advice.

Update from the OP:

Called the special needs line at RCI. After explaining, they said my parents would definitely qualify for an accessible room due to the fact they could not safely navigate a JS tub.

But, I spoke with my sister who has shared a cabin with our parents on two prior cruises. She said they did fine in the regular balcony cabin with the walk in shower (which is what they have on the Liberty) and to save the money on the upgrade to a JS. Additionally, since we are not upgrading to the JS accessible cabin, no question of feeling 'guilty' about taking the cabin.

So, staying put in the D1 cabin, and going to have a good time !

Thanks for all the input and advice.

Thanks for the update. Just so you know if needed you can request a shower stool for your parents . You can do this by contacting the Special Needs dept.

Archived