Should we book now or should we wait???

#4'smom

We are wanting to sail on the Equinox 13 night Mediterrean sailing on June 1, 2014. It's prices for all balcony cabins have jumped dramatically in the last month :(. However, during the WLCS, a C3 cabin is on sale for approximately $1500.00 cheaper than a regular 2B Balcony!

Here's my quandary:

1. Should I book the C3 cabin on WLCS and forgo the drink package perk as it's not offered with this sale? (We are not big drinkers but would enjoy a bottle of wine with each dinner)

2. Wait for another sale to come along that includes the drink package perk and "hope and pray" that the C3 cabin price is as low as it is now on the WLCS?

3. Wait and book this cruise while on-board our Summit sailing in December 2013? I have no idea if there's any advantage to booking a future cruise while on-board another?

4. Wait until we return home from the Summit so we can book as a Captain Club Member as the Summit will be our 1st Celebrity Sailing?

The prices have jumped so high, but I have read many posts saying to wait until Final Payment is due as the prices may drop back down. I'm skeptical about this because this particular itinerary is only offered once next year.

I need some input from my fellow CC Members as I've developed a headache trying to make a decision.....:eek:

We are wanting to sail on the Equinox 13 night Mediterrean sailing on June 1' date=' 2014. It's prices for all balcony cabins have jumped dramatically in the last month :(. However, during the WLCS, a C3 cabin is on sale for approximately [u']$1500.00 cheaper[/u] than a regular 2B Balcony!

Here's my quandary:

1. Should I book the C3 cabin on WLCS and forgo the drink package perk as it's not offered with this sale? (We are not big drinkers but would enjoy a bottle of wine with each dinner)

2. Wait for another sale to come along that includes the drink package perk and "hope and pray" that the C3 cabin price is as low as it is now on the WLCS?

3. Wait and book this cruise while on-board our Summit sailing in December 2013? I have no idea if there's any advantage to booking a future cruise while on-board another?

4. Wait until we return home from the Summit so we can book as a Captain Club Member as the Summit will be our 1st Celebrity Sailing?

The prices have jumped so high, but I have read many posts saying to wait until Final Payment is due as the prices may drop back down. I'm skeptical about this because this particular itinerary is only offered once next year.

I need some input from my fellow CC Members as I've developed a headache trying to make a decision.....:eek:

I think if you wait til after final payment you'll have a lot less choice. I think they offer the Bev Pkg and other perks when the cabin prices are high. I'd book now while the upfront costs are cheaper.

We booked a balc cabin while prices were just so-so, and got a bev pkg. Then prices came way down (saving us a total of $1,000) so I opted to switch categories and lose the perks. I don't think you'll see rock bottom prices when combined with those big promotions.

Not sure what WLCS is but the bottom line is but I don't see any reason not to upgrade to C3 for a $1,500 savings. The $1,500 savings is more than the $1,315 cost of a classic beverage package. ($44 times 2 people times 13 nights + 15%). And if you're not big drinkers you might like to be able to just order that bottle of wine each night on your own rather than be limited to the small selection of by the glass options on the Classic package.

If a lower price comes along in the future then I don't see why you couldn't cancel and retook as long as it is before final payment.

The benefits of booking on board are pretty small and unless you have reason to believe the prices will remain generally low it is probably not worth the risk of waiting to see what happens to overall pricing in the next few months.

Captain's Club does not offer any standing booking discount on Veranda, or higher level, cabin categories. From time to time they do have a promotion going but you can't count on that in advance.

I would only wait until final payment if you are sailing at a time of the year when you can be fairly certain that bookings will be slow and that last minute airfares will not be higher than they further in advance. I don't know how Med cruise sales in early June are as we've only sailed that area in September and prices have always gone up and not down on our sailings as the ships sold out.

We are wanting to sail on the Equinox 13 night Mediterrean sailing on June 1' date=' 2014. It's prices for all balcony cabins have jumped dramatically in the last month :(. However, during the WLCS, a C3 cabin is on sale for approximately [u']$1500.00 cheaper[/u] than a regular 2B Balcony!

Here's my quandary:

Hi,

I am in the same boat! I am watching this cruise and cannot believe how the prices have gone up. I do not think X will be able to sell out the ship at these current prices, but your right...it's the only sailing for this exact itinerary.

This past July (we went on the Equinox, similar cruise without Greece) I waited until about 4 months out when prices started dropping and I got fantastic amenities as well. All 3 of the 123 perks offered and so on. I got a C3 through a GTY C, less expensive than the hump cabin I originally booked too. This was the earliest I have ever booked a cruise before too! I am definitely a last minute booker and always get the best deals.

So, I am playing the waiting game. Hoping and praying for price drops with

perks. I really do think it will happen. :)

I would book it now and rebook before final payment if it drops or if a new 123 happens and it makes sense.

We are considering this Equinox cruise but the price is high and has been from the start. Popular route, ship and longer cruise must be factors. And I have checked that site that tells you (without a ton of reliability) how many particular cabins are available and It's more limited on this sailing than on others I am watching.

I will be waiting as last year prices crashed for our Med cruise in July.

We had originally booked the previous October but had to cancel when we rebooked we got a balcony, all three 123 perks and a huge wad of OBC for slightly less than we were originally paying for an inside with no perks. School is still in session in Europe in June so less chance of selling out imo.

We are hoping to do the Russia/Scandinavian trip in 2014 but I will be holding my nerve!!

I checked your cruise out and while the rates for anything above a 2A are high right now, this IS a fantastic 13 night cruise.;)

I think a rate of $2100 for a 2C is right on! If it were me, I would go ahead and book the 2C or 2A ($2700). We have been to the Med on a few Solstice class ships and the pricing for these categories fall in line with what we have seen the last few years. We normally book the 1A or AQ when the schedule first comes out and only see the prices climb higher as the months go by. ;)

The spring through early summer pricing rarely goes down. (The later summer and fall cruises occasionally do have last minute sales to fill the ship.) That's why I'd pick the lower category, so if the pricing does fall on the higher categories, you can upgrade.:)

I am not seeing the great price of the C3 that you speak of. It's showing over $3800 for me. If you can snag that rate, by all means, take it!

Here's my quandary:

You can book now, and rebook a better deal if it comes along. No penalty until final payment. If you have any perks associated with your booking, you lose them when you cancel, so you will need to do a cost/benefit. Still, no harm.

When you book onboard a cruise, you will get a cruise credit, which varies based on the cruise and cabin you are booking. We've rebooked cabin selections after returning home, and kept the shipboard credit. Your results may vary on that.

We've also booked onboard, and given the booking to our travel agent once home. They usually sweeten the deal, with additional credit, free gratuities, or some other meaningful token of their appreciation.

Booking early gives you the cabin you want. If the price drops, you should be able to keep the cabin. If it doesn't drop, or a different package doesn't come along that works for you, you can always cancel.

How bad do you want to go? If it's a once in a life time dream cruise, then I would not take any chances. If it's a ho-hum take it or leave it, I'd wait until after final payment and see what MIGHT be available at bargain prices. Of course, air fare enters into it, too, and that could be a show stopper. Good luck. Listen to all the advice but ultimately, as you know, the choice is only yours.

Prices for 2b on a 12 night Med cruise departing Venice fell to circa $1100 last July around final payment date.

You didn't say when in July, but I consider anything past the 15th of July a late summer cruise. Many schools in the US are starting back to school by the end of July or first of August. Ours do. Also, cruisers from the U.S. tend to cruise on the earlier cruises. The spring and early summer cruises are more popular and therefore less likely to have price drops...especially one that is a one time itinerary. :)

Thanks to all who replied to my post. After reading through all the advice, we decided to book the C3 and if a better price or perks come along, we'll consider cancelling and rebooking or ask for an adjustment. So excited about this trip:D

You didn't say when in July, but I consider anything past the 15th of July a late summer cruise. Many schools in the US are starting back to school by the end of July or first of August. Ours do. Also, cruisers from the U.S. tend to cruise on the earlier cruises. The spring and early summer cruises are more popular and therefore less likely to have price drops...especially one that is a one time itinerary. :)

I'm curious-where in the US are you? I'm on the east coast, work for a school district and we do not start school till after Labor Day in Sept.

I've never heard of a school district starting end of July or beginning of August in the US. Towards the end of August, yes, but not before.

I'm curious-where in the US are you? I'm on the east coast, work for a school district and we do not start school till after Labor Day in Sept.

I've never heard of a school district starting end of July or beginning of August in the US. Towards the end of August, yes, but not before.

Here in northern CA my daughter usually starts around August 10-12.

We are in TN. My daughter is a teacher. This year, she started the last week of July and the kids had their first day on August 5th. I know...way too early in my opinion. The first day of school has crept up each year. When my daughter and her siblings were in school here, they usually began on or around the 22nd of August. My sons BD always fell that first week of school.

Oh, and then there is a Year Round school that families work around. ;) By the end of July, those kids are back in for a session.

Am I understanding correctly that if I book now at $XX rate and in a couple months the price drops, I'd need to cancel and rebook (potentially losing any current perks associated with my booking) to get that lower rate? Or will Celebrity just lower my rate (keeping the same booking, cabin, perks, etc)? I've only been on Carnival before (never again!) and they just lower your rate/offer OBC if you fill out a form online stating the lower rate.

I don't worry about perks. I just book as early as possible. In my early days of cruising, 2002, prices went down closer to sail time. For the last 2-3 yrs, prices have mostly gone up and sometimes way up, as time goes on.

Last Feb. while on a Summit cruise, my friend and I booked the upcoming cruise for Jan. 2014. She didn't have a cabinmate at the time (her then-cabinmate had decided not to go), but later I asked one of my other friends and she is going. My cousin was going to go with me, but illness forced her to cancel, so I asked my SIL and she is going instead. We have $100 OBC each instead of $50 due to the 1,2,3, GO! promo. Fortunately, is is still intact, even with cabinmate changes.

In 2009, my TA shocked me with the news that at the final payment for our 6-3-09 Summit Classical Med. cruise, my friend and I had been upgraded to CC and the price had actually fallen again to just under $1500 after booking 15 mos before at $2299. It'll never happen again, but was very nice for us.

Today, I'm doing the "Final Payment Dance" since the latest one was entered by my TA yesterday. No upgrade, but that's OK. Less than 3 mos to go!!

We are on the Summit Nov 16 and booked early April. I've been watching the prices all along and only once did they go below what we paid (about three weeks ago). At one time they were double what we paid. The other thing to consider is the airfare. Again, this has gone up quite a bit since we booked. So glad we booked when we did. We got a good price and the beverage pkg, an OBC by the TA - all for the same as we paid last year to go to the D.R. all inclusive.

We are on the Summit Nov 16 and booked early April. I've been watching the prices all along and only once did they go below what we paid (about three weeks ago). At one time they were double what we paid. The other thing to consider is the airfare. Again, this has gone up quite a bit since we booked. So glad we booked when we did. We got a good price and the beverage pkg, an OBC by the TA - all for the same as we paid last year to go to the D.R. all inclusive.

We are sailing on the Summit Nov. 30th and also booked in April and took advantage of the good price, Prepaid Gratuities, OBC and beverage package. Such an incredible deal and I can't wait for all those beautiful Caribbean Islands and a few frosty beverages!! I went ahead and booked our June 1st Mediterrean Cruise, even though the drink package wasn't included. I got a Concierge 3 for the same price as I would have paid for a hump cabin 6 weeks ago, and it includes Prepaid Gratuities and $450.00 OBC. I figure if the prices come down then I'll cancel and rebook if it's worth it. Anyways the Med. cruise is highly port intensive so I figure we won't be doing too much drinking. Probably sharing a bottle of wine at dinner and then it will be off to bed in preparation for the next day's tours and adventures!!

Here is my two cents.

I waited a few years for the east med because for some reason it is often more expensive. During the financial downturn I observed first and second sailings the cheapest, except for late season. Those have been consistently cheaper.

Our strategy is to purchase a cabin and if prices fall move up category. I have done that to suites in my last two cruises. Loved it.

However...on our next cruise this December I had a drink package that made taking advantage of upgrades impossible. Because I was not eligible for guarantee categories except one day. And once all the massive number of guarantees were given out there was nothing worth going for. Suites were gone, extra large balconies were gone, all to folks who paid less than I did for a lesser category. I felt some algorithm changed or it was just an odd set of circumstances, because I was willing to pay up just not nine hundred for AQ.

As the weeks of following prices unfolded I realized I really should have given up the package. We use it mostly for coffee wine and water. So yes we drink. And on a cruise we drink more with a package, but that is just silly. Why hold on to a benefit that means less to us than an upgrade.

I have wondered why I didn't realize it in a timely manner? Partly because our TA presented it as something not so good. But they didn't know the package is not something I would buy.

Am I understanding correctly that if I book now at $XX rate and in a couple months the price drops, I'd need to cancel and rebook (potentially losing any current perks associated with my booking) to get that lower rate? Or will Celebrity just lower my rate (keeping the same booking, cabin, perks, etc)? I've only been on Carnival before (never again!) and they just lower your rate/offer OBC if you fill out a form online stating the lower rate.

There's no need to cancel and rebook. You might, however, lose perks associated depending on what price code the perk is tied to, and what price code the drop falls within. It's all celebrity coded stuff that isn't really visible to the consumer, unfortunately, so you'll need to ask your travel agent (or X) if/when the situation arises. Also realize all bets are off once you pass final payment.

Me, I always book early to get the cabin I want, and then i watch for promos/price drops. So far, it's worked. Price has dropped for 2 of my 3 cruises and I was able to obtain the drop and not lose the perk, luckily.

Hope this helps.

This is a wonderful itinerary...almost the same as our 12 night cruise was. I say book it while you have your choice of cabins. We had a verandah cabin, mid ship on the hump, portside, which was wonderful for this cruise. We were able to choose our cabin. From the time I booked our cruise and flights, the flights alone increased by 186% by the time we flew....I was very happy we booked when we did. And, even before final payment there were hardly any decent verandah cabins available. The 1-2-3 and go promotion was a factor also in us booking early. We utilized it to the fullest...not just with drinks but all the other things we were eligible for with the drink package.

Two things to remember:

You only go around once and if you want to do something, do it. :p

Also...I've yet to see a U-haul behind a hearse. :D

Book you trip and get rid of that "headache". ;)

This simply wasn't true last summer or for most of 2013 for that matter. Virtually all summer Europe (and that includes all May thru August cruises in both the Med or Baltic) and many peak spring Caribbean sailings were available for a song after final payment (i.e. under $75-$100/day/person for the lowest fares). The lesson here is that, in most cases, the very best staterooms and prices are had only AFTER final payment. But this strategy works only for the more risk-tolerant amongst us. :)

Archived