Smuggling booze on NCL - what is more embarrasing?

TrinaLC

Being caught with a legitimate bottle, say a 2 liter vodka in its original plastic bottle,

OR

being caught 'hiding' it in water bottles?

What a dilemma - more likely to be caught, if keeping in the original bottle, but then you have 'plausible deniability'!! If it is in the H20 bottle, man are you nailed.

SO - what would you do (if you would be doing it, or in theory?!)

Being caught with a legitimate bottle, say a 2 liter vodka in its original plastic bottle,

OR

being caught 'hiding' it in water bottles?

What a dilemma - more likely to be caught, if keeping in the original bottle, but then you have 'plausible deniability'!! If it is in the H20 bottle, man are you nailed.

SO - what would you do (if you would be doing it, or in theory?!)

Embarrasing - none of the above. If you get caught just part of the game. laugh, move on, and enjoy your cruise.

Better yet order the bar set up even if you plan to bring your own. At least you will have something for the cabin. I always bring a little Poland Goose since I can't get it from the bar service. After the first one the Absolute is fine.

Single malt is in the original bottle checked to my stateroom.

In either case if NCL wants to hold it I expect it and will get over it.

The only reason anyone would find it embarrasing is the fact they have guilt in the first place for breaking the rules. The other side is those that get mad and say they will never cruise NCL again when caught knowing the rules going in.

OMG....just thinking about that! Maybe not so blatant as the real liquor bottle, but.....

I had just about decided to bite the bullet and order 1 litre of scotch for DH on the bar setup thingie. But, 1) I don't think he will drink a full litre over 7 days and 2) I still object to the huge markup.

So.....today I went to our local drugstore, and picked up a 500 ml. (app 16 oz.) plastic 'medicine' bottle. (Scotch IS medicine, isn't it?) for $1.29.

Do ya think I could put it in our 'first aid kit'....if we had one? I will make one if necessary! Also, those large plastic vitamin bottles could be another option.

I really hate this..... NCL will get enough out of us on wine.....know I might be flamed, but I also don't like to be so overcharged.

Am I making any sense at all?????

M.

OMG....just thinking about that! Maybe not so blatant as the real liquor bottle, but.....

I had just about decided to bite the bullet and order 1 litre of scotch for DH on the bar setup thingie. But, 1) I don't think he will drink a full litre over 7 days and 2) I still object to the huge markup.

So.....today I went to our local drugstore, and picked up a 500 ml. (app 16 oz.) plastic 'medicine' bottle. (Scotch IS medicine, isn't it?) for $1.29.

Do ya think I could put it in our 'first aid kit'....if we had one? I will make one if necessary! Also, those large plastic vitamin bottles could be another option.

I really hate this..... NCL will get enough out of us on wine.....know I might be flamed, but I also don't like to be so overcharged.

Am I making any sense at all?????

M.

I'm with you. I don't need to smuggle booze on because I don't drink (other than an occassional glass of wine). But I feel like we get soaked for the booze and other such things, that I would be tempted to sneak it on in a disguised bottle, such as those you mentioned. I have always signed up for the soda program but they've really increased the price of it that it doesn't make it worth it for me. I will bring a little bit of pop on with me, buy an occassional pop with dinner and then buy more in each port. I will save money this way. And for me, it's not about being cheap - it's always the principle of it. (I don't want to sign up for the soda program and then keep drinking and drinking just so I get my money's worth!)

And I agree with ShoreGuy - when you go in, knowing the rules, you cannot be upset with NCL if you get caught. And it's not like it's a federal offense or anything....

Have fun!

Hikini:D

I totally agree with you, I have already posted about this, see further down the list!

I understand that NCL ban their clients own drink, but surely anyone who is 'caught' will think twice about booking with them in future, I certainly will, but I am not going to be caught. am I?

I have a cunning plan, Blackadder!(I hope our colonial cousins have seen the TV programme, otherwise this will mean nothing to them!)

I will let you know early September how I fared.

Perhaps we have the making of a new thread here, but, being British, it is logical to date things Day, Month, Year, is'nt it?

For some strange reason, North Americans choose to do month, day, year.

Wouldn't it be better if everyone used the actual months name to avoid confusion?

I totally agree with you, I have already posted about this, see further down the list!

I understand that NCL ban their clients own drink, but surely anyone who is 'caught' will think twice about booking with them in future, I certainly will, but I am not going to be caught. am I?

I have a cunning plan, Blackadder!(I hope our colonial cousins have seen the TV programme, otherwise this will mean nothing to them!)

I will let you know early September how I fared.

Perhaps we have the making of a new thread here, but, being British, it is logical to date things Day, Month, Year, is'nt it?

For some strange reason, North Americans choose to do month, day, year.

Wouldn't it be better if everyone used the actual months name to avoid confusion?

I can never get used to 'month, day, year' even after spending half my life in the U.S. for the last 20 years! Canadians, when writing the date in numerical form, write 'day, month, year', but strangely enough use the U.S. form when writing it out, e.g. July 10, 2005. Then just to complicate things, most businesses here use 'year, month, day'!

Now, more importantly, can you give me any clues about Blackadder?

M.

This worked for me on my last cruise. Usually when you get caught your bag(s) get sent to a designated room for pickup. They do not write how many bottles they saw in you bag when they scanned it, they only tag your bag to signify it is suspected of containing smuggled booze. So, here's what worked for me. I go to the room to pick up my bag. I opened it and presented them with the "decoy bottle" thats packed on the top of some t-shirts and close the bag. They've never searched my bag any further, I've never been made to empty it completely. They're content to have caught me with my one bottle and send me away with my bag. I return to my room, unpack my bag and set up my in room mini bar with fine rum, vodka and assorted wines.

Decoy bottle, works every time. ;)

I do drink Vodka so it is easy to camflouge. I buy an off the wall brand of water. 1 liter size. Pour the vodka in it and carry it on board. Never has been a problem. When I did a western Caribbean cruise a couple of years ago, we ran out of Vodka. So we went to a local liquor store and bought a bottle. Also bought a bottle of water. Went out of the store sat on a bench in the shade, poured out the water and poured in the vodka. People walking by thought it was a brillant idea. Walked back on the ship with my "water bottle", no problem, everyone was carrying water. It was a hot day.

What could they so?

• 2 weeks later...
I do drink Vodka so it is easy to camflouge. I buy an off the wall brand of water. 1 liter size. Pour the vodka in it and carry it on board. Never has been a problem. When I did a western Caribbean cruise a couple of years ago, we ran out of Vodka. So we went to a local liquor store and bought a bottle. Also bought a bottle of water. Went out of the store sat on a bench in the shade, poured out the water and poured in the vodka. People walking by thought it was a brillant idea. Walked back on the ship with my "water bottle", no problem, everyone was carrying water. It was a hot day.

What could they so?

We just came back from our first cruise, on the NCL Spirit (and we loved it!!!). Not knowing exactly how they did things, I took no booze on board in Seattle, instead buying my drinks at their bar. Prices weren't tooooo bad, but I really like to sit on our balcony with a toddy and not have to get dressed to get it, or try to have it delivered to the room. After our first port I realized that they were running people thru the scanner soooo fast there is no way they were looking for booze, only guns and blades (and a friend of ours carried a two inch bladed pocket knife thru their scanner every time he boarded). In the second port I bought a bottle of vodka, poured it into my now empty water bottle, stuck that in the side pocket of my day pack, and flew thru their exam. So easy it was scary. Then we just called room service and had OJ and a pitcher of ice delivered. They must have an idea what we wanted with OJ and ice, but they didn't ask...

There is NO WAY NCL will catch it in a Water Bottle.

Again, This is NCL - Not the TSA - We do not fly with Booze...

Good luck with that attitude. You do not realize that a number of members here reading your suggestions are cruise directors and other employees aboard NCL vessels, do you?

As these so-called foolproof methods are published here for everyone to see, you will soon hear people posting that they were astounded that they got caught using these tried and true methods.

Personally, not worth the effort... I want to enjoy my vacation, not have to work at the embarkation process :)

Personally, not worth the effort... I want to enjoy my vacation, not have to work at the embarkation process :)

I agree, it's not worth it. But as an aside, and to add insult to injury, one can't order a bar set-up on Pride of America. :( :confused: :eek: So there's no way to even legitimately save a little $$ !! Go figure.

It always amazes me that people TELL on this board how they get their contraband on board.

People, NCL READS THESE BOARDS:eek:

Would you tell a judge how you are going to escape prison the next time you are put in jail?.............geeze, have some discretion, criminals are usually caught because they can`t keep their mouths shut:rolleyes: (not that you are criminals:D ).

I suggest you get a bar set-up.

The mark-up on drinks when on a cruise (which all cruiselines, restaurants, and bars have, of course) has never bothered me.

Do you really go on a cruise thinking they AREN'T going to make money off you by way of alcohol?? :confused: I don't sweat it in the least--I understand that going in. That's THEIR gig. Having a wonderful vacation at sea ... well, that's MY gig! :)

There is NO WAY NCL will catch it in a Water Bottle.

Again, This is NCL - Not the TSA - We do not fly with Booze...

There is no TSA restriction about flying with booze in carryone or checked luggage, there are FAA rules about drinking booze not served by the airline onboard. I see many people with bottles of wine on airplanes, especially San Francisco since it is close to Napa Valley.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1012.xml

But I thought all cruiselines allow you to bring your own wine on board. Will I get in trouble if I did that? The ships often don't carry the type/label we drink. I certainly would be mortified to be pulled aside and have no intention of pouring expensive wine into mouthwash bottles or the likes.

In the photos I saw of our suite there was wine glasses in the cabinet I just assumed we would be fine bringing a few bottles as we have on other lines???:confused:

I think periodically someone says to themselves, "Golly, we haven't discussed booze smuggling on this board for at least 2 days. I think I'll start a thread."

1.....Booze

2.....Jeans

3.....Tipping/service charge

4.....NCL Customer Service

Care to add any?:rolleyes:

Gosh, I really did not know :(

Not everyone knows all about NCL. If someone wanted to ask me questions about Disney Cruise line which I have sailed five times I would be happy to answer them not think they were bothersome.

I thought this was a wonderful friendly atmosphere to ask questions, it never had occured to me I could not bring wine on board, in fact had I not seen the thread I would have bubble wrapped my bordeaux like I have on every other line.

Maybe there should be a list of threads stuck at the top that answer these mundane questions that those of us who have not been reading here for years let alone weeks could reference.

Gosh, I really did not know :(

Not everyone knows all about NCL. If someone wanted to ask me questions about Disney Cruise line which I have sailed five times I would be happy to answer them not think they were bothersome.

I thought this was a wonderful friendly atmosphere to ask questions, it never had occured to me I could not bring wine on board, in fact had I not seen the thread I would have bubble wrapped my bordeaux like I have on every other line.

Maybe there should be a list of threads stuck at the top that answer these mundane questions that those of us who have not been reading here for years let alone weeks could reference.

Go ahead and bubble wrap the bordeaux. More then likely it will get onboard. Worst case they will ask you to pay the corkage fee. If it is good wine the $15 should not be an issue. They do have a good reasonably priced onboard wine list any of which you can have delivered to your suite.

Star family,

If you pack it put it in your carry on bag. If/When NCL scans the bag and finds it they will have you pay a corkage fee for the bottle. The fee isn't bad if they don't have any wines you would normally drink on their wine lists. If you pack your bottle in your regular suit case they probably will scan the bag and hold it until you come down to open it for them. They will take the bottle and return it to you on the last night of the cruise.

:)

Dismissing a question from someone who may not have been around for previous discussions is rude.

The cruise line expressly forbids you from bringing alcohol on board in hopes that you will buy it from them. I have heard of people who arranged to have special bottles stored for them as they arrived because they arranged to pay a corkage charge. I don't know how that is arranged or what it costs.

My personnel opionion about this whole topic is, during the first few hours of a cruise NCL should put their energy toward making a great first impression instead of going to such great lengths to seek out smuggled liquor - and they go to great lenghts.

Prohibiting passengers from bringing alcohol aboard is about money. Only money. Anyone who thinks it's is about safety or 911 or anything except money is simply a blithering naive idiot.

Delighting passengers a.k.a. customers is about money also.

On the other hand, I go on vacation to relax and have fun. I have no need to get into some cat and mouse game or juvenile protest over the cruise lines' rules.

I vote with my wallet when I'm on a cruise ship. Offer me a good drink at a reasonable price with good service and we'll do business. Otherwise, I can howl at the moon to the wee hours drinking nothing but lemonade.

Star family,

If you pack it put it in your carry on bag. If/When NCL scans the bag and finds it they will have you pay a corkage fee for the bottle. The fee isn't bad if they don't have any wines you would normally drink on their wine lists. If you pack your bottle in your regular suit case they probably will scan the bag and hold it until you come down to open it for them. They will take the bottle and return it to you on the last night of the cruise.

:)

They will not take your wine. They may charge the corkage fee. They will hold booze.

Archived