Viking Rinda docked at le Pecq RER A line

aspen36

Has anyone tried using the RER A to get in and out of Paris to try and tour on your own?

It looks like it might be less than a mile walk to the RER A stop at Saint-Germain-en-Laye but without knowing where the boat docks I'm not sure if it is walkable or not.

We have used the RER plenty in and out of Paris, but never from this particular location. I agree with you - from the maps, it looks easily walkable. If I were docked here, I'd try this without a second thought.

If you go to this link, you'll find a map and an address for the pier that Viking Rinda uses. It's listed as Quai Maurice Berteaux/ 78230 Le Pecq. That seems to be on the left bank, opposite the Mairie (town hall). If that's accurate, it's less than a mile walk to the RER.

One word of caution with the RER if you haven't been on it before (if you have, you will already know this; sorry): it's very easy going into Paris, from the outskirts, on the RER. Your stop is the end of the line - so every train there will be an eastbound train, and it will go to central Paris.

However, study an RER map before you try this coming back to the ship. There is more than one A line - how it works is that there are multiple sub-lines (A1 - A5) and each has a different start and end point. Though all lines converge on the same set of tracks as they run through central Paris, they diverge at the outskirts and go to different suburban locations.

So when you're returning home from central Paris, you MUST get on the proper A-line train. Otherwise, you will go to a totally wrong location. And, all the westbound trains will use the same track at the central Paris stations. You have to look at the signs to see which train is next - A1, A3, or A5 - and make sure you get on the A1 train. That's the only one that will take you back to Saint-Germain-en-Laye.

Lastly, on occasion some of the RER trains stop short and don't go to the end of the line. There is usually ample warning and signage to that effect. I don't know if that happens with the A1 line, but just be aware that it could happen. If so, you can always wait for the next one...

Here is a link to a map of the RER A-line.

If you're not sure, note that they DO check tickets on the RER very frequently, so odds are you'll run into a conductor. You can ask them if you're on the proper train.

The transport website shows it as a 19 minute walk between the quai and the train station. I enclose a link of a journey to the Arc de Triumphe.

http://www.ratp.fr/itineraires/fr/ratp/recherche-avancee?start=Quai+Maurice+Berteaux%2C+78230%2C+Le+Pecq&end=Charles+De+Gaulle-Etoile+%28RER%29%2C+Paris&is_date_start=1&date=14%2F07%2F2015&time%5Bhour%5D=14&time%5Bminute%5D=35&mode=all&route_type=1&avoid=

The stations show train destinations on the electronic boards and the timetable shows the train codes which are on the front of the train (I believe that St Germain En Laye is ZEUS - however the timetable on the platform will confirm that).

We have used the RER plenty in and out of Paris, but never from this particular location. I agree with you - from the maps, it looks easily walkable. If I were docked here, I'd try this without a second thought.

If you go to this link, you'll find a map and an address for the pier that Viking Rinda uses. It's listed as Quai Maurice Berteaux/ 78230 Le Pecq. That seems to be on the left bank, opposite the Mairie (town hall). If that's accurate, it's less than a mile walk to the RER.

One word of caution with the RER if you haven't been on it before (if you have, you will already know this; sorry): it's very easy going into Paris, from the outskirts, on the RER. Your stop is the end of the line - so every train there will be an eastbound train, and it will go to central Paris.

However, study an RER map before you try this coming back to the ship. There is more than one A line - how it works is that there are multiple sub-lines (A1 - A5) and each has a different start and end point. Though all lines converge on the same set of tracks as they run through central Paris, they diverge at the outskirts and go to different suburban locations.

So when you're returning home from central Paris, you MUST get on the proper A-line train. Otherwise, you will go to a totally wrong location. And, all the westbound trains will use the same track at the central Paris stations. You have to look at the signs to see which train is next - A1, A3, or A5 - and make sure you get on the A1 train. That's the only one that will take you back to Saint-Germain-en-Laye.

Lastly, on occasion some of the RER trains stop short and don't go to the end of the line. There is usually ample warning and signage to that effect. I don't know if that happens with the A1 line, but just be aware that it could happen. If so, you can always wait for the next one...

Here is a link to a map of the RER A-line.

If you're not sure, note that they DO check tickets on the RER very frequently, so odds are you'll run into a conductor. You can ask them if you're on the proper train.

Thank you for all this information!!! It is very helpful. I have only been on the RER B from the Airport and back to the airport and the RER C. I have stayed out on Rue Cler and used the Pont de L'Alma station. I always have checked the monitors to make sure the RER was going to the stop I need. I will be extra careful if we use it coming back in. Thank you so much!

The transport website shows it as a 19 minute walk between the quai and the train station. I enclose a link of a journey to the Arc de Triumphe.

http://www.ratp.fr/itineraires/fr/ratp/recherche-avancee?start=Quai+Maurice+Berteaux%2C+78230%2C+Le+Pecq&end=Charles+De+Gaulle-Etoile+%28RER%29%2C+Paris&is_date_start=1&date=14%2F07%2F2015&time%5Bhour%5D=14&time%5Bminute%5D=35&mode=all&route_type=1&avoid=

The stations show train destinations on the electronic boards and the timetable shows the train codes which are on the front of the train (I believe that St Germain En Laye is ZEUS - however the timetable on the platform will confirm that).

Thank you for the link! I only have the metro app that has the RER, metro and bus routes on it. I need to book mark this page.

• 9 months later...

I called Viking re: their shuttles from Le Pecq to Place de la Concorde. Their rep stated that they will have shuttle vans leaving every 15 mins. In which case, why do you recommend using the RER (?). I am a newbie to Paris so am trying to figure all this out before our trip on the Viking Kadlin in June. 2016. Thoughts?

Several potential reasons, all or none may apply to your particular situation. Depending on the traffic situation, traveling by RER may be faster than traveling by bus. Also, the bus may not take you to a spot that's convenient to what you want to see. An RER ticket should allow you to transfer to the Metro and get wherever you'd like in Central Paris. Or the shuttle service may not run late enough for your needs. Or, the bus may work just perfectly for you. All good either way.

I called Viking re: their shuttles from Le Pecq to Place de la Concorde. Their rep stated that they will have shuttle vans leaving every 15 mins. In which case, why do you recommend using the RER (?). I am a newbie to Paris so am trying to figure all this out before our trip on the Viking Kadlin in June. 2016. Thoughts?

Every 15 min???? I find that really unlikely as if would require a huge number of shuttles. JMHO

Yes, I hear you on your distrust of Viking at this point. I asked the rep to repeat

it several times. Perhaps some others more knowlegable about Paris and cruising could call Viking and ask more detailed questions about the shuttles from Le Pecq to ??. She also said the shuttles could drop you where ever you wanted to go. Sounds fishy?

I think if you search for some recent Paris/Viking threads other cruisers got some more believable answers regarding when they will run trips into and back to the boat. I don't remember but it was a couple trips out and a Last bus back.

Certainly not every 15, hopefully some recent Viking passengers just returned can clarify for you as to how they are making this distant dock location work for everyone.

I took this cruise last year. Great staff, very good food. I had a very good time. A major negative was Le Pecq. Viking had 2 buses going to and from Paris for the days stuck in Le Pecq. Last year it was questionable if the boat would be allowed to dock in Paris. Since it was presented as two days in Paris I was very annoyed. Viking has only done a slightly better job in explaining that you will not dock in Paris this year.

Anyway, I'm not surprised you were told that there would be transportation every 15 minutes.

The "customer service" staff in CA were totally clueless last year. I see not much has changed.

Is there anyway to obtain actual credible answers from Viking re shuttle schedule in advance? We had wanted to book some tours in Paris and I am concerned about making the departure times. Don't really want to walk 19 mins and then take the RER. I emailed the original person we booked the tour from and have heard nary a peep. Not sure what to do if the cust svc reps are misinformed. Thoughts?

Villa girl you do know that just the shuttle into town from the dock area can take 45 min to over an hour depending on crazy Paris traffic. That alone is the reason to favor the train which runs on a regular basis.

Villa girl you do know that just the shuttle into town from the dock area can take 45 min to over an hour depending on crazy Paris traffic. That alone is the reason to favor the train which runs on a regular basis.

Absolutely agree! As an analogy, we bussed from Civitavecchia to our hotel in Rome - only once! Last time we ever do that. Endless traffic and a 2h ride. Faster to walk from the boat to the train station, buy a ticket, and ride in - even with luggage in tow.

And simple math says that if it's an hour each way, each bus takes 2h round trip. That means that they'd need 8 buses to have one leave every 15 minutes. Like you, I would be skeptical that any cruise line would do that.

Edited by jpalbny

As long as Viking continues to dock in Le Pecq, my solution (going forward, doesn't help those who've already booked, unfortunately) would be to go with another company who actually does dock in Paris proper.

Unfortunately, as long as Viking is locked into using their longboats on the Seine, this may be permanent. Their smaller boats that were allowed to dock near the Eiffel Tower are no longer used on the Seine.

Villagirl- Credible answers?

How about writing directly to the ship. Please don't be surprised if they write back fast with accurate info of what will be provided-

viking.rinda@vikingrivercruises.com

We are sailing on the Kadlin...I will email

viking.kadlin.vikingrivercruises.com to see if that works. I do want a reliable answer to this. Trying not to be sad about not waking up in Paris and looking up at the Tour Eiffel. Instead juggling stupid train schedules and schlepping around.

Dear villagirl,

Please accept our apologies for any misunderstanding.

We are more than happy to clarify any confusion and answer any questions you may have about the shuttle service. To allow Viking Kadlin’s concierge to work with the guests currently onboard, we would encourage you to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com instead.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond and look forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

We are sailing on the Kadlin...I will email

viking.kadlin.vikingrivercruises.com to see if that works. I do want a reliable answer to this. Trying not to be sad about not waking up in Paris and looking up at the Tour Eiffel. Instead juggling stupid train schedules and schlepping around.

Incredible ! With all the Viking cruisers posting confusion here on CC. You would think Viking could have taken an extra "sentence" to answer this shuttle question once & for all ! *** is about all I can say :(

From my time on this board all Viking ever do is apologise and request you email them. Not once have I ever read anything that explains any of their staff's actions. You get what you pay for.