Booking/Deposit Questions

Am I Really Doing This?

We are thinking of booking a 2017 trip shortly (yes despite the current ridiculousness) and I have a few questions. I think I read on the website that you have to put a $500/pp deposit of which $100 is not refundable (I know this changes when you get close to sail date but I'm talking about this far out). Is this accurate? I don't find this info on the Viking website that clear.

Also, I thought it was a bit odd you can't book through the website but instead have to call them. How many of you booked directly through calling Viking Ocean vs having a 3rd party TA? I know on some cruise lines it's preferable to book direct with the company because it's easier to make changes etc that way. What are people's experiences so far with Viking Ocean?

Thank you in advance.

There are a lot of complexities involved, so a two-way conversation is essential. They get your rough intentions, then send you an estimate with lots of the conditions, such as flights, pre or post travel options, trip insurance options, payment schedule, etc. Then you can call back and make adjustments. Even transportation to and from the airport is covered. I think it's extremely important to fully understand all the options. Trip insurance is of course really important, considering the present situation.

I've never used a travel agent before, but I have one for my upcoming cruise (AAA). They will want a lot of money up front, and it quickly becomes non-reimburseable. Committing to the trip was certainly the riskiest vacation I've ever planned, though now it's sort of cool to know that it's (mostly) paid for.

I should add that, whether one likes it or not, virtually all cruise line contracts include a "the future is unknowable" clause, absolving themselves of most scheduling snafus. Obviously, from a PR perspective, they don't want any disatisfied customers. But the point is that when things turn into lemons, you have to accept whatever flavor of lemonade they mix.

Our cruise is this December. We had to paid the full amount in May(?) 2014. There is a refund schedule, but it's pretty stiff.

We got trip insurance via my normal insurance company. Others in my group used AAA. Viking's is really $$$. It's a complex cost; coverage options can vary more than the price.

We booked a 2017 cruise last month with a travel agent. Our deposit was $500 each of which $100 is non-refundable immediately. The final payment on the cruise is due by Dec. 31, 2015 (over a year in advance).

The cancellation schedule we were given is as follows:

121 days or more prior to departure $100 per person

120-90 days 15% of full fare

89-60 days 35% of full fare

59-30 days 50% of full fare

29 days or less 100% of full fare

We debated taking their insurance with Cancel For Any Reason but then wanted to cover our own air arrangements and any pre/post trip which their policy would not cover.

Thank you, comcox, that was super helpful.

Why does Viking make you do full payment so far in advance of the trip??

We paid in in full Dec, 2013 for a July, 215 cruise. All aboard said they had, too. Insurance is a must.

Recommend using a TA. A TA may be able to get other perks for you. I talked directly to Viking. The Viking rep even IMPLIED that sung a TA might be to my advantage (could not say so out loud). Then found out a friend's sister was a TA. She was able to advocate for us on changing air arrangements (no fee), and she also got us a shipboard credit. If the TA works with Viking routinely, they are able to monitor for price drops and get you the better deal. Given current situation, these may happen!

Putting my accounting hat on...I wonder if they are paying current expenses with future revenues?

I'd say partially financing the construction of three new ships - by taking advantage of what the market will bear (as evidenced by their success in selling out). Nothing sinister or shady there, even if a tad uncomfortable for us. Last I saw Moody's rated them B1 which for the industry they're in, is pretty good.

I'd say partially financing the construction of three new ships - by taking advantage of what the market will bear (as evidenced by their success in selling out). Nothing sinister or shady there, even if a tad uncomfortable for us. Last I saw Moody's rated them B1 which for the industry they're in, is pretty good.

Yes, I guess if the customers are willing to provide the financing, it's cheaper than what bond investors or banks would ask for, with better terms (no collateral or financial covenants). As long as they keep growing and have no hiccups, everything should be fine.

Moody's recently assigned B3 to $250 million senior unsecured notes due 2025 for V Oceans' new ship construction. This is on top of Moody's B3 rating on existing $525 million due in 2022, so clearly Viking isn't building ships purely with current revenue (that's not even possible).

Currently Viking appears to be quite solvent, but when we paid in full for a cruise 18+ months in advance, we bought travel insurance that protected us against trip cancellation/interruption if the carrier ceases operations due to insolvency. We didn't look at Viking's travel plan because it did not cover it's own insolvency. Credit card companies may or may not reimburse--there is usually a requirement to make the claim within 60 days of billing though some extend that or will work with you, so that's something to find out before making the charge.

There is almost never anything left for unsecured creditors--which ticket holders are--in a bankruptcy and even if there is, it's usually no more than pennies on the dollar and can take years to resolve.

Credit card companies may or may not reimburse--there is usually a requirement to make the claim within 60 days of billing though some extend that or will work with you, so that's something to find out before making the charge.

Many do not use credit card for initial payment, since you get a discount for using a bank transfer.

We've thought about it and have decided that in light of the recent events with the Star, delays in one of the ships until 2017, and the ridiculous policy to pay in full 18 months before the trip that we aren't willing to book at this time. I want to give the company 6 months or so to see if they continue to have problems or fix some of the things people seem unhappy about before considering such a financial layout. If the mid-2017 sailings we are interested in are still available 6-8 months from now (and we haven't fallen in love with something else) we will consider it.

Thank you all for your responses.

We've thought about it and have decided that in light of the recent events with the Star, delays in one of the ships until 2017, and the ridiculous policy to pay in full 18 months before the trip that we aren't willing to book at this time. I want to give the company 6 months or so to see if they continue to have problems or fix some of the things people seem unhappy about before considering such a financial layout. If the mid-2017 sailings we are interested in are still available 6-8 months from now (and we haven't fallen in love with something else) we will consider it.

Thank you all for your responses.

It's a big decision, I agree, and the current mechanical issue has people understandably freaked out. However I do want to say that we were on the July 11 Homelands cruise and had a wonderful time. I have not wanted to post a glowing review while folks are still suffering huge disappointment and discomfort due to the mechanical issue. It feels like rubbing salt in a wound. But I feel it's only fair to mention that we did not see or experience any of the significant issues that were revealed during the maiden voyage. While there is always room for improvement, I believe Viking is paying attention to feedback. I can't speak highly enough for the ship or the crew or our experience on board. A couple of excursions need some work, but the majority were well organized and quite good. We had a fantastic time and were sad to leave the ship. While I believe there is still work to do on communication at the Woodland Hills level, communication on board was fine. We would not hesitate to travel on a Viking Oceans ship again.

It's a big decision, I agree, and the current mechanical issue has people understandably freaked out. However I do want to say that we were on the July 11 Homelands cruise and had a wonderful time. I have not wanted to post a glowing review while folks are still suffering huge disappointment and discomfort due to the mechanical issue. It feels like rubbing salt in a wound. But I feel it's only fair to mention that we did not see or experience any of the significant issues that were revealed during the maiden voyage. While there is always room for improvement, I believe Viking is paying attention to feedback. I can't speak highly enough for the ship or the crew or our experience on board. A couple of excursions need some work, but the majority were well organized and quite good. We had a fantastic time and were sad to leave the ship. While I believe there is still work to do on communication at the Woodland Hills level, communication on board was fine. We would not hesitate to travel on a Viking Oceans ship again.

We agree! (Our review was written before the current crisis so, I fear, has rubbed salt in wounds.)

Hate to rain on the parade of complaints about the final payment deadline. But I got to thinking about it (exercising my analyst/engineering brain). And decided to do a little research. And the facts are that what you're complaining about is NOT Viking's nominal final payment policy but the policy invoked to get the 2 for 1 discount. If you're willing to forgo that hefty and attractive discount, which I frankly don't know how many cruise lines offer, the nominal payment terms are these (copied from the Viking ocean site and no different than Viking river btw):

"PAYMENT POLICY

A deposit for cruise/land of $500 per person is required to secure a confirmed reservation. When more than one cruise is booked, deposit and payment policies apply per cruise. The final balance is due no later than 90 days prior to sailing. "

However if you go for the two for one pricing, the deadline for that is MUCH earlier, like a year or more in advance depending on when your cruise actually starts. Again, quoting from the VO website today, this is the policy for cruises next year (and btw we are booked for and did so with eyes wide open about the terms):

"2015 SPECIAL SAVINGS DISCOUNT

On all sail dates the discount is per stateroom, per person, based on double occupancy. Single supplement savings are off applicable rates. The 2-FOR-1 cruise and international air discount are considered a single offer. International air does not have to be purchased to get cruise offer. Offer expires June 30, 2015. Book and pay in full by June 30, 2015 or within 90 days of departure, if earlier."

Ok. I grant you that VO's policy about 2 for 1 fare discounts is a lot tighter than VR. VR's 2 for 1 discount deadline seems to be much more fluid. We booked our Grand European Tour for July 2014 in March and still got the 2 for one discount fare.

So what's my point? Just this. Let's be precise.

No cruise line actually charges brochure prices 95% of the time. They all claim some amazing sale or savings deal, whether it's 2/1 or "50% off brochure prices!" (Which is the same deal said two different ways). So I don't think saying that VO is offering some amazing deal that other cruise lines don't offer is a fair assessment. All cruise lines offer something on par AND don't have the ridiculous payment schedule.

I don't have it in front of me to check at the moment but I think VO (and other lines) even have some fine print statement that says something like "We don't claim that the original prices have ever been the price" or something like that because the U.S. (Or it could be state laws in most states) has consumer protection laws in place about when and how you can claim something is on sale.

Ok. Wasn't asserting that VO offers an 'amazing deal'. In fact, did say that their terms are more stringent than VR ('more fluid'). The only other cruise line I've dealt with is Holland-America. And they did not offer any fancy deals although will admit that was a few years ago. In all cases I have dealt directly with the cruise line; not thru a travel agent. And yes I did read somewhere in the fine print for both VR and VO words that seemed to give them leeway to continue special pricing way after the stated deadline. My point tho was to make sure that folks compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges. Compare payment schedule terms for similar or the same pricing deals. VO may still not come up smelling like roses but at least the parameters for comparison will be valid.

The full payment a yr + in advance put me off booking with VO

We sail Oceania which offers the 2 for 1 deals (marketing)

but you do not pay well in advance just the deposit

the deal is the same if you book 18 mths or 6 mths

final payment is 90 or 120 days depending on the cruise length (some exceptions apply)

I doubt you are getting a deal by paying in full a yr or more out

Has anyone booked 6mths out & had to pay double ??

I think VO is playing a dangerous game with consumers $$

what happens if the bottom falls out of the economy ?

Since you paid cash you are at the bottom of list when it comes to collecting your money back ..the top creditors get first crack at the funds

I will not pay any cruise line in full that far in advance too many things can go wrong

YMMV