Cadiz OR Seville which to vist while in port.

spinsbabe

We will be at the port of Cadiz/Seville on Jan 2, 2016. We are interested in 'what to do'......stay in the Cadiz area or go into Seville?? Suggestions on what to do in either place ??

You don't say how much time you have on shore. if you have a full day, I personally would go to Seville. Cadiz is lovely, but Seville has much more to see, as long as you have enough time to see it.

This will especially be a good time of year to visit Cadiz, Jerez or even Seville as the Christmas season will stretch to the 6th of January during the Reyes.

The schedules of events are not posted yet on the city webpages, but there are some very unique events in this region.

http://www.andalucia.com/accounts/christmasinandalucia.htm

http://www.andalucia.com/living/christmas.htm

http://www.andalucia.com/living/christmas-shopping.htm

I have not experienced the 'Zambombas' of Jerez which feature Wine, Sweets and 'flamenco style carols'. I am not sure if there is something similar at Cadiz at Christmas.

Every square will be decorated and there will be several Christmas markets in Cadiz in addition to the main market that will also be offering seasonal specialties.

There will be very detailed Nativity Scenes built up and available for viewing, these usually have viewing platforms and include a great deal of detail.

With all this being the case, I would recommend staying in Cadiz or a more brief visit to Jerez than taking the long trip to Seville, when you only have 10 hours ashore to enjoy the region.

I would highly recommend a future land trip to Andalucía to really take in Seville if that is at all possible.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I enjoyed seeing Cadiz but given the opportunity to visit Seville, I'd definitely go there. It's a beautiful city and wonderful for touring.

DW was in Seville last year and that is what she says. That's what we are planning to do from our Cadiz stop.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty old thread and the OP was scheduled to be in Cadiz 2 weeks ago :). So not sure any advice is going to help her now. But we have spent a few nights in Seville and really like the city. Cadiz is also a nice place for those that just want an easy port day...as you can walk around the city (starting from the pier) without the need of a tour or transportation.

Hank

We have a tour booked with Spain Day while on a cruise in May that will take us from Cadiz to Seville. The problem is they have canceled the tour portion of the palace as we will be there on May 2 which is a holiday. They say it will be too busy to do the palace. Hate to make the long drive and miss this important site, Given a choice, should we miss the rest of what Seville offers and plan a trip to Jarez which has a festival that day (also via a tour)

We have a tour booked with Spain Day while on a cruise in May that will take us from Cadiz to Seville. The problem is they have canceled the tour portion of the palace as we will be there on May 2 which is a holiday. They say it will be too busy to do the palace. Hate to make the long drive and miss this important site, Given a choice, should we miss the rest of what Seville offers and plan a trip to Jarez which has a festival that day (also via a tour)

It looks like it's the festival de caballo ( horse festival). When we were preparing for our land Spain trip last November, I remember one of the DVD's we rented showed a similar festival and it looked pretty interesting. While Seville is now one of my absolute favorite cities (so much so that we would consider renting an apartment there for a month), and there is plenty to see there besides the Alcazar, I'd opt for the "happening" of the festival that pure Andalusian. You will probably see many "sites" on your trip...but, you have the chance for an "experience" that is the essence of southern Spain.

http://www.spanish-fiestas.com/festivals/jerez-horse-fair/

Edited by buggins0402
Added link

It looks like it's the festival de caballo ( horse festival). When we were preparing for our land Spain trip last November, I remember one of the DVD's we rented showed a similar festival and it looked pretty interesting. While Seville is now one of my absolute favorite cities (so much so that we would consider renting an apartment there for a month), and there is plenty to see there besides the Alcazar, I'd opt for the "happening" of the festival that pure Andalusian. You will probably see many "sites" on your trip...but, you have the chance for an "experience" that is the essence of southern Spain.

http://www.spanish-fiestas.com/festivals/jerez-horse-fair/

Thank you so much for the information on the horse festival, When travelling via cruise ship, it is difficult to know how to spend the port day. Very torn because we had heard so many wonderful things about Seville, but agree, the festival sounds like a better option at this point.