Has AnBeen to NY?

Sascol

The ads they run for Anthem show it sailing by the Statue of Liberty. I did not think the ship had been to NY yet at any point. Am I correct in assuming these are images of the Quantum that have been altered?

Sorry about title - I am not able to edit it : (

Edited by Sascol

Not only has she not yet been to NYC, a ship sailing from Bayonne doesn't sail past the Statue of Liberty!

Correct for normal sailings!

Quantum did pass by the Statue of Liberty when we arrived to Bayonne November 10, 2014 - video in post #2.

She also made it at one of the sailings from Bayonne during 2015.

Correct for normal sailings!

Quantum did pass by the Statue of Liberty when we arrived to Bayonne November 10, 2014 - video in post #2.

She also made it at one of the sailings from Bayonne during 2015.

On the 3 night, 11/18/15 Quantum sailing, the Captain gave us a beautiful evening tour of the NY Harbor and the Statue of Liberty for about an hour before we set sail into the Atlantic Ocean.

On the 3 night, 11/18/15 Quantum sailing, the Captain gave us a beautiful evening tour of the NY Harbor and the Statue of Liberty for about an hour before we set sail into the Atlantic Ocean.

I don't remember that on the 3 night, but I do remember it on the January 23rd sailing. I think it was to make up for missing San Juan. We also got free internet for the whole sailing. It was a nice surprise, and the NY skyline looked beautiful lit up from the water.

I don't remember that on the 3 night, but I do remember it on the January 23rd sailing. I think it was to make up for missing San Juan. We also got free internet for the whole sailing. It was a nice surprise, and the NY skyline looked beautiful lit up from the water.

I don't remember the Captain sailing around the NYC Harbor on the January sailing. LOL The free internet they gave to everyone, I remember that, they were testing issues they had. Where were you for sail away on the 3 nighter? We were in the CL, which had floor to ceiling windows and great NYC views at night during sail away.

Now that would be awesome! Wonder how much extra fuel that burns?!? Definitely one of the things I'll miss not sailing on Breakaway!

Very little fuel used, we were moving like a snail in NYC Harbor.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Not only has she not yet been to NYC, a ship sailing from Bayonne doesn't sail past the Statue of Liberty!

Celebrity Summit has been doing it all summer. I don't understand why Liberty of the Seas wasn't doing it as well.. seems obvious given the ship's name. Obviously it's up to the captain and the Liberty captain didn't want to.

Edited by MisterBill99

I don't remember the Captain sailing around the NYC Harbor on the January sailing. LOL The free internet they gave to everyone, I remember that, they were testing issues they had. Where were you for sail away on the 3 nighter? We were in the CL, which had floor to ceiling windows and great NYC views at night during sail away.

Definitely sailed up the Harbor on the January cruise. I have the pictures.

The 3 night in November left at 8 pm, so I was at Coastal Kitchen for dinner at 6:30 and then went to the solarium to see the sail under the bridge and then ran to make the 8:30 Headliner show.

Celebrity Summit has been doing it all summer. I don't understand why Liberty of the Seas wasn't doing it as well.. seems obvious given the ship's name. Obviously it's up to the captain and the Liberty captain didn't want to.

I suspect it's not totally up to the Captain, but that the Harbor authorities have a say in it as well, and may also depend on the other traffic in the Harbor. But I agree that the Captain has a role. And for all we know, RCI didn't want Liberty doing it (fuel? time?). Since it's a great marketing tool, I suspect there's a reason why ships departing from Bayonne don't do this as a matter of course, so that it can be advertised or at least known and counted on by those considering such cruises.

I suspect it's not totally up to the Captain, but that the Harbor authorities have a say in it as well, and may also depend on the other traffic in the Harbor. But I agree that the Captain has a role. And for all we know, RCI didn't want Liberty doing it (fuel? time?). Since it's a great marketing tool, I suspect there's a reason why ships departing from Bayonne don't do this as a matter of course, so that it can be advertised or at least known and counted on by those considering such cruises.

Correct, they need to get permission to do it and it depends on other traffic, which is probably why they do not announce it as a regular thing. I had read about it here on CC (and it did seem to be a regular weekly occurrence) but for those who had not, it came as a big surprise when the captain announced it prior to our departure from Bayonne.

One possibility for why they did it on Summit is that the trip down to Bermuda is rather leisurely, given that they do it with 2 sea days vs the 1 that they take to get back. With my Anthem cruise in January, we're leaving at 3pm, which tells me they need the extra time to get to Labadee and can't dawdle in the harbor sailing around the statue.

I'm not sure anyone would book a cruise just because it sailed by the Statue of Liberty, so I don't see it as a big selling point. If you want close up views of the statue, you can buy a ferry ticket for a lot less than a cruise.

Edited by MisterBill99