Local currency?

Mpc524

We will be first time cruisers. Is it advisable to bring local currency to start off your journey? I know there will be ATMs in port, but will we need cash for anything before that? What do people do? Thanks for all the guidance on this board!!

I've been trying to get myself to just relax and use ATMs when I get to a port because I know that's probably the cheapest way to get money. However, in the past I've almost always ended up getting at least a little local currency before I left home, particularly if most of what I'll need is euros. I don't like spending time looking for ATMs, and am still a tiny bit worried that something will go wrong.

Whether you need any oddball currency like Croatian kunas or Turkish lira depends upon what you might be doing in each country. Unless you're taking public transportation as I sometimes do, you may be able to get by without anything, particularly if you're just planning to take a Viking tour and little else. Often souvenirs are available with euros, and sometimes you can charge larger purchases and restaurant bills.

If you use ATMs, make sure you understand if there are charges involved, and make sure you (obviously) have a PIN. Some banks in the U.S. have agreements with foreign banks to accept their cards without charging extra fees. We called our bank before we left to find out which bank ATMs we could use without being charged much, if anything, for withdrawals. There weren't many in Venice and Istanbul, and we weren't planning to go out of our way to find them, but at least we knew what banks they were in case we needed more money and one was close by.

We just got back from ports in Venice, Croatia, Montenegro, Greece and Turkey, and there were ATMs all over the place.

Agree with Sitraveler - ATM is almost always - if not always the easiest and financially the best way to obtain foreign currency. I usually call my bank prior to leaving to see who are their partner banks in the countries we are visiting. Sometimes it will eliminate the foreign transaction fee at the ATM. If that is not available they can tell me what the fee will be, which could be often as low as $5.00.....contrast that with exchanging money before leaving and I have never found that option to be a better financial choice.

Have a great trip!!!

Btw - we generally arrange private tours in ports where that makes sense - and it is not unusual to pay those in USD - so we generally have USD with us, including bills that we can use as tips if we don't have the left over local currency.

In every airport we've been in in Europe has had at least one ATM if not more as soon as you clear customs / immigration. Almost every hotel we've stayed in has been able to exchange money or had an ATM right in the lobby. ATMs are in even small towns. You really don't have to hunt around too much anymore for an ATM. Even if you have to pay $5 for using one, it's still more than offset by a much better exchange rate. Before you leave, if you look around you can usually find a bank that won't charge you even the $5. That's my opinion anyway - go for the ATMs.

Tip: we set up a small travel account with a debit card so that if it's hacked or stolen we've not compromised our 'real' bank account.

In every airport we've been in in Europe has had at least one ATM if not more as soon as you clear customs / immigration. Almost every hotel we've stayed in has been able to exchange money or had an ATM right in the lobby. ATMs are in even small towns. You really don't have to hunt around too much anymore for an ATM. Even if you have to pay $5 for using one, it's still more than offset by a much better exchange rate. Before you leave, if you look around you can usually find a bank that won't charge you even the $5. That's my opinion anyway - go for the ATMs.

Tip: we set up a small travel account with a debit card so that if it's hacked or stolen we've not compromised our 'real' bank account.

Ditto. We have never had trouble finding an ATM in the airport as we arrive.

Ditto. Moreover, the bank was able to set up our debit card so that it can only be used at the ATM. It has a $0 daily limit for purchases and a $500 daily limit for ATM usage. Moreover, it is not connected to any of our other bank accounts--that's its most important feature.

We also have a separate travel account set up that is not linked to our other accounts. However, we purchase some foreign currency before we leave home. We get the euros from our bank which has them on hand so there is no fee. We have had trouble with ATM's twice using two separate cards from two different banks. We had to keep trying until we found a foreign bank that was in the network that is listed on the bank of the ATM card (ie Cirrus).

If you're a member at AAA, check your local office. I got a "tip pack" which has a small amount of foreign currency with small denominations for tipping & such. I also got a great pre-paid debit/Visa card through them so as to have a card that's not attached to my bank account.

• 1 month later...
We will be first time cruisers. Is it advisable to bring local currency to start off your journey? I know there will be ATMs in port, but will we need cash for anything before that? What do people do? Thanks for all the guidance on this board!!

I always bring Euros with me from home along with US$. My bank doesn't charge me for this service. It may not be the best rate....but it sure is the most convenient way for me. Remember when all the banks and ATM's shut down in Greece? I like to be prepared!! lol When you get back home (if you have any Euros left over) some banks (like mine) will buy them back. They won't deal with Euro coins at all....but I like to save them for my next trip.

I've heard some people say they brought lot's of US $1's and 5's for tips.

Some of the restrooms in Europe charge you a small amount....which is another reason to get coins as soon as possible. I have seen them make change for a 5 Euro bill though.

What cruise will you be on? I've been to Europe but this will be my first ocean cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Although some have said the AAA exchange rate is bad, for our Istanbul to Venice sailing, we were able to get several different currencies for a flat fee of $15. That saved us multiple ATM charges in different countries for those smaller amounts we'd be using for only a day or two. Worth it to me to not have to worry about it and we aren't talking hundreds of dollars, so the exchange rate is a non-issue to me.

Becki