Santorini Ferry boat to Oia?

PEKnCHUG

Any cruisers in the last couple of months know if there is a boat from the "old port", where we are dropped off by the tender, to the Oia port?

I have searched till my fingers tips are bare. :)

Some state yes, but mostly in older posts. Then other posts and travel guides state that only ship excursions, donkey trail or cable cars are the way to leave the area. One website showed boats closed due to "legal issues".

Really appreciate any input.

You are not likely to find anyone with very recent experience since very few cruise ships go to Santorini in the winter months (much of the island's restaurants and hotels close for the season). While there have been some small boats that previously would take folks between the small port below Fira and Oia, it never really became what one would call a "ferry" service. Whether this will again happen in the next season is a question that one will just have to wait and see. Many ship tours are tendered into a different port (Athinios) where they can directly board tour buses. Those that do not take these tours will be tendered into a small port that sits just below Fira. From that port you can take the cable car, donkeys, or hike up the hill to Fira. While you might find a boat willing to take you over to Oia, we would not recommend basing all your plans on that possibility. We will be back on Santorini in late March (which is still somewhat pre season) and will try and remember to post info as to whether anyone is routinely running boat transfers over to Oia.

Hank

We did this in 2014 so not as recent, but I read recently of someone doing this the summer of 2015, too. It's around $40 pp and runs hourly or so throughout the morning. It includes a return bus ride to Fira at 1 PM or earlier if you take an earlier boat ride. You'll see the tour companies standing on the dock offering their tours. They accept credit cards, too. We loved this affordable excursion!

Edited by cruisequeen4ever

We used this boat from the tender pier below Fira to Oia in August 2015. Included was a bus from Oia to Fira (with several time options available). It was really a very good way to get time in Oia and Fira.

As has already been said, it is too early to know what will be available in the coming cruise season.

• 2 weeks later...

First cruise we took the boat to Oia--bus up and then bus back to Fira--perfect

Last time (9-2014) we thought we took the same transfer--(union Boatmen of Santorini)

this time we waited on the tender pier for 60 minutes--then the boat (supposedly to Oia) went back to the cruise tour drop off point and put us on a long bus ride across the island to Oia----total waste of time and money---

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

If it works the boat to Oia is a great way to do it and maximize your time on Santorini, but it can be iffy with some local politics overhanging it. I like you searched and searched, emailed and talked to quite a few people. When it is operating it is great but when it goes askew it can mess your trip up.

My thought process was this:

With all my research I did I did not have a 100% confidence that it would be running when we visited.

I looked at the number of ships in port and their arrival and departure times because the tram can be a real bottleneck if the boat to Oia is not running on that day for whatever reason, it could take us an hour or more to get up to Fira and then search for one of the few taxis or hunt down the bus station. All doable but at the same time fraught with potential complications.

As much as I am not a proponent of Ship Tours, I really wanted to maxmize our time in Santorini and take advantage of the early tenders that booking a cruise tour offers. We got off the cruise in one of the first tenders took the tour bus to Oia before it got crowded(a major consideration) and then the tour took us to the winery on the outskirts of Fira(Santos) that had great views and really nice wine. They then dropped us off in Fira.

I was really happy we did that as it went smoothly, glad we got to Oia before the crowds and the view from the Winery outside of Fira was an unexpected highlight.

Santorini is such a magical place and you want to maximize your time there and not have something go wrong. Ideally, the ferry/boat can work but from what I have learned that is not without risk.

Wdavid, I see that you were on Celebrity, we will be on the Constellation. I reviewed their ship tour "Village Of Oia & Santorini Island", thinking that would be a good plan B to at least getting off the ship early and heading to Oia before the crowds.

About how much time were you in Oia and how long did it take to get there? Most of the reviews say that they only had 45 minutes in Oia, if so, I can't imagine that would be enough time to truly enjoy the town.

Thank you and appreciate your thoughts.

• 1 month later...

FWIW: I found a reference and link to a water taxi on a private tour site. The water taxi site had a notice that they could no longer provide services to Fira dock due to legal issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

FWIW: I found a reference and link to a water taxi on a private tour site. The water taxi site had a notice that they could no longer provide services to Fira dock due to legal issues.

Thank you Jen. I saw that too. We can keep our fingers crossed and wait to hear from those going in March and early April to see what they have found while there.

I will be there May 1 and have booked a ship tour just in case, but with the hopes of cancelling if Oia boat is running.

I think Katakolon Express does offer a shore excursion from the cruise port for a short tender to Athinaios where you can take the tour bus instead of taking the cable car up. The cost is 35 Euros per person and the tour last about 4 to 5 hrs. Just not sure if the experience is good since no one ever mention on any post.

On this thread : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2034534 Fincabiggs shares that AgeanTravelers offers a fast ferry transfer from the old dock to the bay at the base of Oia. Includes bus up to top and return bus to Fira. Can book online and use PayPal. €15e or €25 ( not sure the difference between the two).

This company operated a ferry from the port to Oia (with bus included for the way back) when we were there last summer http://www.santorini-excursions.com/ They were one of two of three companies operating excursions and boats to Oia

You could email them to ask what their schedule will be this year.

Edited by Bobal

This company operated a ferry from the port to Oia (with bus included for the way back) when we were there last summer http://www.santorini-excursions.com/ They were one of two of three companies operating excursions and boats to Oia

You could email them to ask what their schedule will be this year.

Thank you. I will, and report findings. Happy Easter.:)

Last Oct., we took the ferry to Oia. If I remember correctly, it was very inexpensive. Once we arrived a bus took us up a hill. From there it was a very short walk into town. A few hours later, we took the bus, that was part of the package, back to Fira. Very nice day.

Edited by chloe kitty

Last Oct., we took the ferry to Oia. If I remember correctly, it was very inexpensive. Once we arrived a bus took us up a hill. From there it was a very short walk into town. A few hours later, we took the bus, that was part of the package, back to Fira. Very nice day.

Thank you chloe kitty, do you recall the name of the company? Did you have reservations for this or did you just get a ticket at the old port? Once in Fira, you purchased your own cable ticket to get back down the hill?

Yes, thank- you Chloe Kitty. I am most interested in the timing (what time did you tender off ship? What time did you arrive in Oia? What time did you catch the bus back to Fira? What time did you start down to get back to the tender dock?)

Plus how were the crowds at each of those times?

Trying to plan for two groups - the adventurers & the enjoy- the - ride group!

Thank you chloe kitty, do you recall the name of the company? Did you have reservations for this or did you just get a ticket at the old port? Once in Fira, you purchased your own cable ticket to get back down the hill?

Yes, thank- you Chloe Kitty. I am most interested in the timing (what time did you tender off ship? What time did you arrive in Oia? What time did you catch the bus back to Fira? What time did you start down to get back to the tender dock?)

Plus how were the crowds at each of those times?

Trying to plan for two groups - the adventurers & the enjoy- the - ride group!

I do not remember the name of the company, but once you exit the tender and walk a few yards, you will see people offering their service. No reservation. The one we used had a purchase counter in the rear part of a store or hallway nearby. It was very easy. Yes, we did have to purchase our own ticket for the funicular.

We took one of the first tenders off the ship, what time it was, I don't remember. We immediately took the ferry to Oia. A bus was waiting for us once we arrived to take us up the hill, so that was quick. We spent two hours in Oia., I believe the bus we took to Fira was at 1:00 pm. We spent another two hours in Fira and then took the funicular down to the marina. The crowds were not bad when we returned..waited maybe 20 minutes. They can be bad if you wait until the last minute to return. We returned about 1 1/2 hours prior to having to be on board.

Edited by chloe kitty