A little side action for sail away addicts

POA1

Fleet Week starts on Monday and the Fort Lauderdale Air Show is next weekend. If you happen to be able to check out the webcam Monday morning, you'll be able to see several Navy vessels - including a nuclear sub. First in will be the USS Cole, which should be off the coast at 6:30 AM EST (10:30 Zulu/UTC)

In addition to the Cole, we're going to see the USS Bataan and USS Bainbridge. The fast attack submarine California will join them, as will the USCG Cutter Robert Yered. Around 11:30 AM, the USAF Thunderbirds will overly Fort Lauderdale Beach. (Doubt that you'll see that from the webcam, but they're headed for Fort Lauderdale airports, so you just might.)

I'll post links to each ship's Wikipedia page later.

Thanks for the heads-up; we're still working on jet lag, so I'm sure being up at 4:30 our time (6:30 FLL) won't be an issue for DH.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

The Canadian Snowbirds are going to be part of the air show. I don't know when they're coming in. They're from up your way, aren't they?

The Canadian Snowbirds are going to be part of the air show. I don't know when they're coming in. They're from up your way, aren't they?

I was going to be sassy and say "What? You're having a bunch of old people with their left turn signal lights blinking in the air show?" But I won't.

Yes, Snowbirds live and train at the air force base about 140 miles south of us. They are truly a sight to behold, like your Blue Angels.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

When the ships come into port, you should see the sailors at quaters. The PE webcam should give you an excellent view.

We're a little jaded with respect to ship traffic, but this is definitely something to see. I'm sure if you're from Norfolk, San Diego, or Honolulu, this is old hat - but it's definitely a treat for Fort Lauderdale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manning_the_rail

Edited by POA1

In other trivia, the Bainbridge was one of the rescue ships for the Maersk Alabama. If you saw the movie Captain Phillips, this was ship on which the pirate was negotiating the hostage release.

Checking in & we have sound back.

Allan

Just making the coffee and taking the cameras outside so they can adjust to the humidity. Nice morning, but a bit breezy.

If you have sound, you'll no doubt have noticed that the neighborhood did not hold back on horns, despite the early hour. (Take that, Westerdam horn haters!)

Thanks for those extra photos. Just watching the USS Bataan coming in crew on their way to line the deck.

Allan

I got some short video of that. Very cool. Not to short the Bainbridge, but we're looking forward to the submarine.