FLL to port of Miami a non NCL bus experience

Agentwho

Just back from an amazing week on the Getaway (May 22- 29th) and wanted to share my thoughts on how I got to and fro the airport.

I fly with Southwest often and opted to fly into Fort Lauderdale airport FLL since they do not serve MIA. Now FLL is a lot further from the port making Uber or taxi way to expensive. I saw that Norwegian offers a bus for 25 per person but said to myself why not shop around and see what else is available. After reading some reviews I settled on QLS transport, just had to fill the reservation on line and confirm. 15 bucks each way and print out my information.

My flight was due into FLL at 9:30, QLS pickup times ran by the hour. Instead of putting myself to be in a huge rush to get off the plane, bite my nails watching the clock at baggage and running to the pickup spot I opted to reserve an 11 o-clock bus. As it turned out I got to the pickup spot a few minutes before 10 but never saw that bus (they must have filled up and moved on) so while waited me and other QLS members congregated together. There was no sign or person to tell us were where to stand or if we were in the right area. It became sort of a fishing game asking every lost looking person walking by if they were with QLS. About 10:30 I got a phone call from a very nice lady confirming I was ready to be picked up an let me know the driver would be in a 20 passenger coach bus and his arrival time would be around a quarter till. With all of us on our toes it didn't take long to spot the bus with QLS on the side towing a small trailer. With the sound of little wheels bumbling across concrete we followed him to his stopping point. The guy was very nice, checked us off the list and loaded our luggage into the trailer. Hopped onto the ac bus ready to go and waited, and waited, and waited. during this time the nice lady called again to confirm I had gotten on the bus, how very nice of them. A few more people boarded and about a quarter after 11 we were on our way to a local hotel to pick up more people, then another hotel and another. I did not note the but it was well after 12 before we got to the ship.

Getting off the bus the driver was very quick to unload our bags get his tip and roll out. There we were left with the baggage handler at the port. We had a very personable and entertaining fella who was very sure to let us know that this was the only time we would see him and he needed to be tipped now so he could make sure our bags made it to our rooms in fine shape. I'm not saying that no tippers don't get their bags but that was the impression I got haha. So after a healthy 5 dollar hand shake I was on my way to a week of smiles.

The week passed by so fast and before I knew it time had come to get off the boat and head back to real life. With a 12:30 flight I booked the 9 o-clock bus knowing that would get me there in plenty of time. I got up early that morning and packed the last bit of my things and did the early walk off. A lot of people do this, so much so I had to ride the elevator up from the tenth floor to the top then back down to seven. It was that or tumble my luggage down the stair way and I wasn't about to risk doing that with my bottles of rum inside ;) So then I'm in line to get off the ship and customs after that. It is moving but slow none the less. A few minutes after 8 I'm in the customs line and a text comes threw from QLS asking where I'm at, I respond and they say to let them know as soon as I'm past. Cool I think I'm gonna catch the earlier one. About 8:20 I'm out and text them to get a response that a driver will pick me up about 9. Unfortunately there were not very clear directions about where the pickup was and nothing was marked. After a few text and meandering arounds dodging other company's I spotted a QLS van (not the 20 passenger coach that brought us) pull into the area and chased it down. Turns out he was dropping the next set of lucky passengers off. At one point the luggage guys asked if I was with them, I so wanted to say "Yes, Yes I am" but had to tell him no I'm waiting for the van. The driver looked a bit confused and had to call home base and confirm he was my ride. A few minutes later and we are circling this port and that port picking up people here n there. One group got on and circled with us for a while, there was some phone call by the driver then he stops and that group got transferred to another bus. Not really sure why but I still had plenty of time so no worries. After a few more circles and pick ups we were on our way to FLL via a hotel stop. I don't remember much about that leg of the trip as most of it was spent nodding off. This seemed to be the case for several people in the van but luckily the driver was wide awake lol. With loads of time before my flight I gave the guy a tip hand shake and started towards my gate to lay claim to a power outlet.

In wrapping up I did save a few bucks using QLS, the divers were very nice, making the reservations was a breeze and they were very good about communication. I can't help but think to myself that is would be worth the extra few bucks to take the Norwegian transportation and cut out some of the stress. Soon as I got to baggage the guy with the Norwegian sign was right there collecting his crowd then walking them down in a group to their waiting bus. Saw this happen a couple of times waiting for my bus. I can't help but wonder if they didn't make a b line for the ship instead of stopping by every hotel in the Lauderdale area haha. Same with the return trip, I could help but feeling a little frustrated trying to find the van instead of being able to follow the NCL signs. Next trip I think I will be using their bus service and seeing how that goes.

I did have a great vacation on the Getaway and plan to write several review touching everything from the funky cool solo cabin to NCL vs non NCL excursion. If you would like to read the room review check out this link to the solo cruiser board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2362008

I also flew in to FLL and needed to get to the port of Miami

We flew in late the night before like 11:15pm. We used Uber and our car arrived within 2 minutes of request. We had the driver take us to Miami to our hotel near the port. The total cost for 4 of us was $40 - no tipping!

Had we taken a regular taxi it would have been $90 PLUS TIP!

I can't imagine using some sort of shared van when you can take an Uber for $40. It was ridiculously quick and convenient. And safe because we had the drivers name, drivers license number and picture of the driver. Plus no money is exchanged. This makes it safer.

Florida law allows you to be dropped off at the cruise terminal by Uber but not picked up. On the way back to FLL we took a cab, a painful $90 back to the FLL airport.

Florida law allows you to be dropped off at the cruise terminal by Uber but not picked up. On the way back to FLL we took a cab, a painful $90 back to the FLL airport.

This is interesting - I had no idea and I was planning on using Uber to get to and from the port. Now I have to rethink this - hmmmm

We flew in late the night before like 11:15pm. We used Uber and our car arrived within 2 minutes of request. We had the driver take us to Miami to our hotel near the port. The total cost for 4 of us was $40 - no tipping!

I can't imagine using some sort of shared van when you can take an Uber for $40. It was ridiculously quick and convenient. And safe because we had the drivers name, drivers license number and picture of the driver. Plus no money is exchanged. This makes it safer.

I love Uber and use it quite often here in Baltimore but in planning this trip I did not find much mentioning solid price points from the Airport to the port. Plus you have to worry about surge times when rates can sky rocket because of demand at that time. Traveling with 4 people means you paid 10 buck a person for your trip. Traveling alone mean the full fair would have been on me. As someone who is traveling on a bit of a budget I decided to look for the cheapest rout and may have paid a bit of a time price for that decision.

At no time did I feel unsafe using QLS. The only cash that exchanged hands for them was a tip for the driver the actual 15 dollars each way was charged to my cc at the time of booking. I'll add that the drivers were not pushy for a tip but there was a sign reminding you it was not included in the booking price. The guy at the port who took the luggage was pushy for his tip but did it in a very fun way. It was almost an offer that couldn't be refused lol.

In researching my trip I did not find many people talking in depth about the transport to and from the airport hence why I made sure to post up what may be a to detailed review haha.

Please everyone keep posting how you have been getting about, how much it cost you and if you liked it. Hopefully this thread will become a wealth of information and help others in the future. I for one would particularly like to hear what people who took the NCL bus thoughts are

Edited by Agentwho
add on

This is interesting - I had no idea and I was planning on using Uber to get to and from the port. Now I have to rethink this - hmmmm

UBER pricing is driven by time of request. They were picked up late night. Being picked up earlier in the day will yield higher prices.

OP I've use the NCL bus, very stress free and easy. Used QLS and they were not as stress free. I'm likely to use NCL again for our summer cruise, especially for the return trip for my noonish flight, just not worth the hassle. Load just steps outside the terminal, next stop at FLL all in the comfort of an air conditioned motorcoach, $25pp and $16pp if using MIA. QLS has lots of fans here, I'm just not one of them based on our experience last year.

BTW there is a Transportation board, that's where I learned about QLS and perhaps why you don't see posts on this board, there's a entire board devoted to these discussions.

Edited by Nola26

Neither I or my travel companions had any trouble getting an Uber from PortMiami last month disembarking Getaway.

No surge pricing either. I really don't think it's 'illegal' but if it is, thankfully, they just ignore it.

You can get fare estimates at uber.com.

I don't know why you're saying UBER cannot pick up. UBER transports BOTH ways. We waited about 5 minutes at the port for our car to FLL. We have used Uber to and from FFL for about $30. (reg. car) I also know others that have used it both ways successfully.

Are there shuttles and/or buses cheaper if just one person is traveling? Yes, but I have had 2 hour long shuttle experiences. Only one experience with an NCL bus and it was ridiculously slow. ....never again. This is not to say, some have good experiences, but I am a big UBER fan.

We used Uber to pick us up this week after disembarking the Getaway. We requested XL to get to the Intercontinental and even had a free ride code. Also used them to get from the hotel to FLL and it was $61 for all 4 of us. I am definitely hooked on Uber after this week!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've used QLS on all of our cruises, save for one cruise recently because we were at a hotel in FLL that was too far from the airport for their 3-mile-radius pickup. Anyway, we've had nothing but good experiences with QLS. My parents use them all the time, too, for transport between FLL and the POM. It can be hectic finding them before and after a cruise, but we've used them often enough that we now know where to go and end up recognizing the dispatchers and drivers.

Anyway, just pointing out that we've had good experiences with them, and I'm sorry yours wasn't what you expected.

Glad you had a great cruise!

Was the hotel in Miami? It seems high. Maybe time of day? I am curious because my dafe from POM to FLL was only 30.

Thanks.

We used Uber to pick us up this week after disembarking the Getaway. We requested XL to get to the Intercontinental and even had a free ride code. Also used them to get from the hotel to FLL and it was $61 for all 4 of us. I am definitely hooked on Uber after this week!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm flying IN to MIA and OUT of FLL... It ended up being like 70 bucks cheaper this way for whatever reason. Everything I've read so far indicates that an Uber from the port to FLL is like 30-40$... More than to MIA but not very much more. It apparently WAS illegal (for the driver, not for you) at one point, but the laws on this have changed fairly recently.

Edited by EleventyBangBang

After reading this I did some research and this is not true! I read many reports of people who were picked up at both the Ft. Lauderdale and Miami ports by Uber.