Park and Cruise Hotel

HMBlonde

Hi folks! I'm a long time lurker, but a first time poster. My hubby and I are sailing on the Dream out of NOLA in August and we are having a disagreement about hotel and parking. I want to do a hotel in or near the French Quarter and to park in the Fulton Garage. We are getting there pretty early on a Saturday and I want to be able to walk to the FQ to explore.

He could care less about the FQ and wants a Park and Cruise hotel since it's cheaper than my choice. All the hotels that offer that option seem like a good distance away. I have found hotels within walking distance of the FQ, but they offer discounted parking. He got spoiled with our last cruise from Port Canaveral and the Radisson park and cruise deal. He wants it all in the charge for a nice, lower amount.

He has found the Courtyard in Gretna and he wants to do that one, but does anyone have any suggestions for Park and Cruise hotels closer to the FQ? I've researched, but haven't had much luck.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi there,

I am not aware of any park and cruise hotels within walking distance of FQ. We stayed at Hyatt Place Convention Center, which was right next to Fulton Garage. Hyatt offered a rate that included valet parking (which happens to be at Fulton) during our hotel stay, then we added on cruise parking at Fulton. Very convenient to port.

It's not an unreasonable walk to FQ, maybe 15-20 minutes. We made use of the Pedicabs to and from FQ. I don't remember the exact charge, but very reasonable and quick. (http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/transportation/gettingaround/pedicabs.html)

Unfortunately, in NOLA, around Port and FQ especially, parking is a premium commodity and you don't find much in the way of deals.

Hi folks! I'm a long time lurker, but a first time poster. My hubby and I are sailing on the Dream out of NOLA in August and we are having a disagreement about hotel and parking. I want to do a hotel in or near the French Quarter and to park in the Fulton Garage. We are getting there pretty early on a Saturday and I want to be able to walk to the FQ to explore.

He could care less about the FQ and wants a Park and Cruise hotel since it's cheaper than my choice. All the hotels that offer that option seem like a good distance away. I have found hotels within walking distance of the FQ, but they offer discounted parking. He got spoiled with our last cruise from Port Canaveral and the Radisson park and cruise deal. He wants it all in the charge for a nice, lower amount.

He has found the Courtyard in Gretna and he wants to do that one, but does anyone have any suggestions for Park and Cruise hotels closer to the FQ? I've researched, but haven't had much luck.

Thanks so much for your help!

I have never had any luck finding a decent park and cruise rate near the FQ. A lot of people in the past talked about the Holiday Inn Superdome having a good park and cruise rate but every time I checked it was not available or the price was jacked up so that it wasn't cheaper than getting a room elsewhere and paying for parking.

If you go out to Metairie or Kenner you can basically park for free for the week but then you are too far from everything and will spend as much on cabs as you would have on parking for the week.

On my last cruise out of New Orleans I got a hotel in the convention center area (Hyatt Place) near Fulton Place and parked at Fulton for the week.

Hyatt offered a rate that included valet parking (which happens to be at Fulton) during our hotel stay, then we added on cruise parking at Fulton. Very convenient to port.

If you are only coming in 1 day early (maybe 2) then you can just add that to your Fulton reservation and not worry about paying the higher valet rate for the 1st night. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Prytania Park last time and have booked them again for this year. You can leave your car at the hotel if you book a room for 2 nights. The hotel is in the garden district and is half a block from the St. Charles streetcar line so it's easy to get to the FQ.

http://www.prytaniaparkhotel.com/packages.html

Edited by mulewagon

We stayed at the Prytania Park last time and have booked them again for this year. You can leave your car at the hotel if you book a room for 2 nights. The hotel is in the garden district and is half a block from the St. Charles streetcar line so it's easy to get to the FQ.

http://www.prytaniaparkhotel.com/packages.html

I'm guessing we would need to take a taxi from the hotel to the terminal, and back?

St. Charles streetcar line doesn't go close enough for luggage-toting people like us...

Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn for the park and cruise? It seems too good to be true as other hotels in the area their park and cruise is stay the night and pay discounted price to park for the week and Holiday Inn is free parking.

Also how hard is it to get a cab to port from there since they don't offer a shuttle. We don't want to be waiting over an hour from the time we call for a cab for the cab to show up.

Thanks.

Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn for the park and cruise? It seems too good to be true as other hotels in the area their park and cruise is stay the night and pay discounted price to park for the week and Holiday Inn is free parking.

Also how hard is it to get a cab to port from there since they don't offer a shuttle. We don't want to be waiting over an hour from the time we call for a cab for the cab to show up.

Thanks.

We've stayed there twice and are staying again in August. It's about a 5 minute walk to the French Quarter and they do have a shuttle to the cruise port. You have to get your own way back though. It's a very good deal in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to give a big thumbs up for the Hampton Inn. The hotel is beautiful and the shuttle service was quick and excellent. They had our car ready for us upon our return and the staff went way and above. We would definitely use them again if we cruise out of NOLA.

I'm going to give a big thumbs up for the Hampton Inn. The hotel is beautiful and the shuttle service was quick and excellent. They had our car ready for us upon our return and the staff went way and above. We would definitely use them again if we cruise out of NOLA.

Which Hampton Inn is this?