Vision of the seas concerns......

Pmtmad

We are due to sail 3 weeks today on vision of the seas around Dubai, I am a little worried as the reviews are not great for this ship? Should I be concerned?

Many thanks

Edited by Pmtmad

We sailed from Dubai last March.

I don't know about Visions current reviews but if you have not been to this area before the things you will see and experience in the ports will be truly amazing.

Our trip was by far our best cruise we have ever taken and we were on Splendour which was the smallest ship of the fleet then and was about to be sold.

We could have been sailing on a car ferry and still had a fantastic time, try and do the tour of Khasab and the Grand Mosque in Oman.

Have a great time, I'm so jealous :)

Thanks for replying, this is our first time cruising so a little anxious the reviews state that the food isn't great and the entertainment isn't great.

I was so looking forward to the entertainment.

Thanks for replying! We did look at the grand mosque tour, did you book through the cruise or yourself? X

We booked through the cruise line, a tour of Khasab and a 'Mystical Muscat' tour in Muscat and the Grand Mosque Tour in Abu Dhabi. Muscat is fab, the tour took us to the Mosque and then into Muscat itself to the Souk.

The two ports in Oman are so different , there was something magical about the place. Abu Dhabi didn't quite have the same feel about it (in our opinion) but the Grand Mosque is impressive.

I'm sure your cruise will be the same and they will have an Arabic Night up on deck when you overnight in Muscat. That was great fun, quite a few people bought local dress very cheaply in the souk in Muscat to get into the spirit of things.

We are due to sail 3 weeks today on vision of the seas around Dubai, I am a little worried as the reviews are not great for this ship? Should I be concerned?

Many thanks

I would not be concerned. We cruised on Vision about 30 days in the last year or so and thought she was very well run.

I agree with Bob. My Vision cruise last September was extremely well run. Captain Marek was fantastic. (Did not check the captain's thread to see if he is currently on board.) I haven't as yet shared my luggage misadventure on Cruise Critic, but the ship did everything it could to try to insure its safe return. I no longer have high expectations about the food on board and ended up eating in the Windjammer each night with a new friend. There were things that were better than others, but all in all, all was well. There was even a night when they were hand dipping strawberries in the chocolate of your choice.

Mercedes was a great cruise director. Entertainment was okay. There was one of the Royal Caribbean singers that was a bit off key when she tried to hit a certain range. The L.A. easily got the glass block he had not realized I had earned for the cruise. (Being a single in a junior suite gave me extra points.) After successfully managing a cruise without luggage, you best believe I wanted the block to remember it.

I personally enjoy the smaller ships. 2016 seems to have been my year to rediscover Vision class ships and I thoroughly enjoyed them.

We just arrived home after Christmas cruise on Vision. We enjoyed it. Ports are amazing. You can take taxi so no need for expensive tours. You can take taxi to Grand Mosque and there are free tours inside (10 and 11 am). Really interesting. There is a free shuttle from port to World trade center mall and there you can take a taxi to Mosque (about 40 AED). Nice beach on Corniche but hot and no shade.

In Dubai you can use taxi too. Inexpensive. If you want to visit Burj Khalifa buy tickets on Groupon (you save money and time!) If you want to buy gold jewelry visit Malabar.

In Muscat taxis are more expensive but you can see the prices on the big sign near the port entrance.

In Khasab we took a half day dhow cruise through a local company. Very nice. I think price was 40$ per person.

The ship is old and small but you wont mind. The ports are the best part of the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from first cruise with RCI and absolutely loved it Yes it is a smaller ship and looks bit tired in places but was spotlessly clean and all main public areas were bright and smart . We found all staff without exception to be friendly and helpful We ate breakfast and evening meals in Aquarius and found all meals to be good quality with plenty of variety . We ate couple of times in Windjammer for lunch and also had snack at Lattitudes and Park Cafe Most days had a coffee and cake at Latitudes. Never felt the need to try the speciality restaurants Entertainment in Centrum before and after evening meal was very good We had drinks in R bar and Schooner bar , great choice and lovely staff

Watched couple of shows in main theatre Celebration Beatles and Gary Williams ( Rat Pack type songs) Itinery was very good and we did our own thing in Khasab Muscat and Abu Dhabi Taxis very reasonable .In Dubai we did the hop on / hop off bus It was 66 $ but we were out 10- 7.30 Also includes water taxi

We usually go with Cunard and although ships much grander I would 100%,go on Vision again .

We just got home from the Vision. You will have Captain Marek who I hear (from the crew) is awesome. We are Pinnacle members and have

to rate this cruise in the top 3. We would book it again if they weren't pulling out. We booked all private tours with Oman Day Tours. If you are lucky enough to have the Beatles Celebration be sure to go. It's like being at a Beatles concert. Let me know if you have any questions.

My partner and I sailed on Vision last April. Our first time on this class of ship.

When we booked we were concerned about this being the oldest and smallest RC ship we'd sailed on.

I honestly can tell you we need not have worried.

We loved the ship, the crew ... everything. Yes its smaller but not tiny and we never felt cramped. We both commented on it being the best dining room experience we've had so far, in terms of service from the waiters. Everyone has different standards for food. We left happy every night.

There are no ice shows or aqua shows but I'm sure you can cope without them. Entertainment was good, although the RC singers were not the best we've seen. Think someone strangling a cat and you're nearly there :(

We had Captain Marek. Really nice guy. An amazing and approachable Captain!

Don't stress about it. I'm sure you'll have a fab time.

Edited by royzer76
How did I forget Captain Marek?

Just remember, at one time, Vision was considered "Large"! No worries...your itinerary is more about the ports, than the ship. The menus are the same fleet-wide...and the entertainment (if you can stay awake for it after long port days) is fine. No worries!

The cabins are some of the smaller in RCI's fleet, tho.

We just got home from the Vision. You will have Captain Marek who I hear (from the crew) is awesome. We are Pinnacle members and have

to rate this cruise in the top 3. We would book it again if they weren't pulling out. We booked all private tours with Oman Day Tours. If you are lucky enough to have the Beatles Celebration be sure to go. It's like being at a Beatles concert. Let me know if you have any questions.

I hope the Beatles Celebration is still playing on my cruise next December! :D

Thank you all for replying, CAT GIRL did you have the drinks package?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, we don't drink that much, plus, we have access to the Diamond and Suite lounges at night. Keep in mind that you have a very port extensive itinerary so you will be off the ship quite a bit of time. Not that much drinking time to make it worth while, if you want my opinion.

Edit to say: I just saw that you are from Scotland. Are they offering you some sort of package with your booking? I heard that they were doing that for some European bookings.

Edited by CAT GIRL

I hope the Beatles Celebration is still playing on my cruise next December! :D

We've been lucky enough to sail with the Beatles Celebration twice now. We've actually kept in touch with them and know the owner on a personal level. Seeing that the Vision will be in Galveston in Dec, I wouldn't think that they would be on your sailing. Since they are based out of England, they usually do sailings in Europe, transatlantics and repositioning cruises. Their website is http://www.beatlescelebration.co.uk/ and I know it will be updated soon as he has a lot of bookings in the works.

• 1 month later...

We have no interest in sailing on the mega liners. We like the smaller ships. . We did a 32 day on the Radiance last Feb to Australia and NewZealand and loved it. We are booked on the Vision for the 16 night Denmark, Norway & Iceland. We have been on all of their ships except the jumbo ones.