Duct Tape, Collapsible Water Bottles, Hi-lite Pens, Anything Else?

Cruise Rituals
Not voo-doo...but what do YOU do?
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:56 PM.
NYC, NY
187 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
I was reading a message board that listed things to take, and now I can't find it. There were some good ideas: Zip lock bags, duct tape, hi-lighter pens (to hi-light activities on the ship in the newsletter), collapsible water bottles, hand sanitizer, lavender oil, room fresheners, insulated cup holders...Anything else?
Orange Park, FL
1,224 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but this site has packing lists. Just look at the menu on the left.

My personal addition to that list is Benedryl gel, especially if you snorkel. I've had to doctor passengers on more than one cruise with my trusty Benedryl. Some people take a night light or small flashlight, but I don't. Others with balconies sometimes take bungee cords to hold the doors open. Instead of collapsible water bottles (haven't seen that) and insulated cup holders, you could take insulated cups. I read about other people taking blenders, and we're putting one in our bag on the next cruise, so we can make our own smoothies in our cabin. We like a small, collapsible cooler to take drinks into port to ensure we have drinks we like.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norway 1994
Norway 7/00
Grand Princess 7/01
NCL Sun 7/02
Zuiderdam 9/03
Rhapsody of the Seas 7/04
Elation 11/04
land cruising at Disney World
Mariner of the Seas 10/07
Triumph 3/08

Glory 11/09

"Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparations!"
Jane Austen
central Texas
3,536 Posts
Joined May 2002
I take the post-ems notes to stick on the mirror to communicate with the room steward when I don't see him or with others in the cabin or on the outside to leave messages for others we are with.
I also use them to label the drawers and shelves with names,etc

I take 2 over the door clear hanging shoe bags. One for shoes on the outside of the bathroom door, one for the inside of the bathroom for misc. stuff due to limited counter & closet space.

Extension cord, power strip, hair dryer if you want good power, back pack, disposable & waterproof cameras, first aide kit, medicines, bonine, sunscreen and aloe vera gel, lotion, hanging cosmetic/shaving kits. I take a full size but plastic blender that is light weight and inexpensive.

I take some sort of inexpensive door decoration to make recognizing our door easier and use a putty to attach it.

The cruisediva on her site has lists, also.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Sun 1/21/17;LibertyOTS 8/21/16;Eclipse 8/16/14,3/6/16; Viking Rinda 5/23/14; Reflection 3/8/14;Paul Gaugin 2/2/13;Celebrity Solstice 12/26/10,3/11/12;Azamara Quest 6/4/09;Voyager of the Seas 4/13/08,1/04/09;4/12/09;NCL Wind 11/26/05;Ecstacy 11/25/04;7/26/08;Elation 9/26/04;12/28/03;Celebration 9/5/03;Conquest 5/18/03;10/21/07; Rhapsody of the Seas 5/26/02,10/01/06,3/4/07;NCLSea 12/31/99
Battle Creek, Michigan
82 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
I have a small travel kit with assorted toiletries and keep a night light in it. That is handy at a hotel or on a cruise as it can be left on in the bathroom (like we do at home) and if you get up in the middle of the night you don't need to turn on the bright light. I left one once but it only cost me a couple of dollars.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Robin and Eric

Carnival Destiny September 2006
Carnival Pride September 2002
Regent Sea March 1990
Pacific Princess March 1988
Boston
157 Posts
Joined May 2003
Bungee cords! Can be used to keep your balcony door open, and are really handy to hold your towel down on deck when it's windy! Also Downy Wrinkle Release, a small travel steamer, lots of plastic clothes hangers (they never give you enough, and sometimes you can't take them off the closet pole!) Also some clothes pins, handy to hang up your bathing suits or whatever if you have a clothes line in your shower. Post it notes, great to leave your room steward requests when you are leaving the room and he or she will be in to clean your room while you are gone.

I'm sure there is more but it's early and I'm not awake! Will post more as I think of them (if no one else does first!)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
*******Proud member of O.A.T.C.******

Celebrity Constellation Baltic 8/13/05<BR>

6/2004 Carnival Miracle
2nd Anniversary

6/2003 Carnival Legend
1st Anniversary

6/2002 Celebrity Mercury
Honeymoon
NYC, NY
187 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
I read that it is useful to identify luggage, fix luggage, tape the shower curtain to the floor so it doesn't stick to your butt when you shower, and to hem pants. I think it also makes a good lint remover if you wrap it around your hand sticky side out, and rub over the linted area.
!!! Rainy !!! Washington
13,336 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
I love to take door dec. Remember all doors are metal on the ship, so I use magnet printer paper. Yes most places sells it.. You can custom design on your computer what you want.. In May I did a big sign that had my cruise critic names on it.. date and ship... Then I did a bunch of small cutie ones.. Like a cup of coffee, bottle of whine, waiter, Hamburger, french frys, Malt shake, all on one 8x10 and cut them out.. so they can be placed on differant areas of the door. Everyone who came by my cabin LOVED THEM.. and the last day a few of them came up missing.. That was ok with me..
You can even make special ones that read,, DO NOT ENTER ... or LATE SLEEPER TODAY.. We had about 15 people on my last cruise who used my idea ...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next Cruises:
~~~~~ Undecided ~~~~

Larrie & Boyfriend aka: Lanny

Cruise List:Completed :
total of 126 days@Sea With Rccl
Last cruise :
Jewel of the Seas, Repo 14 night'r
Boston to Tampa via Southern port
Oct 26, 2011
Mariner, Mexican Rivera
Sept 26, 2010, 7 ntr.
Oasis, May 01, & May 08, 2010
B2B East West Caribbean 14 nts.
~~~~ Mariner May 30,2009~~~
7 nts. Mexico Via Pacific NW (lol)
15 nts. Hawaii Sept 2008 Radiance
7 nts. Alaska Aug 2007 Visions
7 nts. West Carib 2006 Freedom
4 nt'R Bahama's 2006 Majesty
4nt. Baja 2006 Monarch ~
14 nts.Panama C.Radiance 2005~
8 nts.East Carb. Explorer2004
11 nts.Hawaii Visions 2003 ~
7 nts. Mexico Rhapsody 2002
First cruise: 7 nts. Alaska Visions 1999
Ottawa, Canada
1,091 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
A shower cap so you don't have to wash and dry your hair after a quick shower, and some antihistamines in case you have an allergic reaction to something. Also, don't forget the Tums or Rolaids in case you try a new food which doesn't agree with you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kerry

RCI Navigator, March 2012
Panama Canal, Feb 3, 2009
Eastern on Emerald Princess, Feb 14, 2008
Mexican Riviera on Dawn Princess Mar 10, 2006
Southern on Dawn Princess Feb 28, 2005
Western on Grand Princess Feb 15, 2004
Raymore,MO usa
1,812 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
I like the idea about the suction hooks. I think they would really come in handy for hanging wet suits to dry in cabin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Woodstock, GA USA
630 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I love the idea of the magnetic paper! Never knew such a thing existed!

I'll be hitting Office Depot soon!

Tammy

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tammy
Big Fan of the RCCL.
Tifton, GA United States
88 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
We also include a small air freshner for the bathroom...one that can be opened or closed as needed. Extension cords are a must and a power strip is a great idea.
Yakima, Washington
414 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
We brought our own hand sanitizer; one for the room and smaller size for purse. Bring a different colored highlighter for each member of your room; then you can highlight what activities you want to participate in, and others know where you are by checking your dailies!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~~Debbie~~

Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On.
~~Jimmy Buffett

Disney Wonder 2003
NCL Spirit 2004
NCL Dream 2005
NCL Star 2007
Celebrity Century 2008
Yakima, Washington
414 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
OH, extra hangers is an excellent idea; we brought several and I was sooo glad we did! Those clothes pins come in handy for keeping the drapes closed tightly also, if light disturbs you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~~Debbie~~

Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On.
~~Jimmy Buffett

Disney Wonder 2003
NCL Spirit 2004
NCL Dream 2005
NCL Star 2007
Celebrity Century 2008
Lexington, KY, USA
11 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Thank you. Great ideas here!!!

Cruisinlace
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Premier 1999
Voyager 2000
Inspiration 2000
Golden Princess 2001
Carnival Legend 2003
Golden Princess 2004

Time remaining until cruise....
<applet code="****************" CODEBASE="http://chesterh.com/java-sys" width="203" height="21"><br />
<param name="font" value="lcdb0"><br />
<param name="year" value=2004><br />
<param name="month" value=11><br />
<param name="day" value=7><br />
<param name="hour" value=11><br />
</applet> <br />
Fort Worth, Texas
16 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
I took a small roll of duct tape (found it at Wal Mart) and really didn't think we would use it. Ended up we did - to tape our liquor boxes before getting off the ship. We also used the power strip, flashlight, over the door shoe hanger, highlighter, extra hangers, roll of quarters (used in laundry room), extra zip lock bags, and insulated coffee cups.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebration - 9/99
Inspiration - 12/00
Jubilee - 10/02
Elation - 11/03
Elation Again - 12/04
(250 posts as of June 2004 conversion)

until the Elation again
Southern California
414 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
We like to bring binoculars to get a closer look when pulling in or out of port. The new spray bandaid works great for blisters, or if you have a wound and still want to snorkel in the warm water.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life doesn't get much better than this!!

Allure Dec 2012
Millenium April 2011
Adventurer of the Seas April 2010
Oasis March 2010
Explorer (again!) May 09
Serenade of the Seas Nov 08
Independence of the Seas(Pres.Suite:O)Europe June 08
Vision of the Seas March 08
Vision of the Seas March 07
Freedom of the Seas (Pres, Suite ) Feb 07
Freedom of the Seas Nov 06
Explorer Nov 05