2-1 gift cert (buy 1 ticket get 1 free) Is there such a thing?

LadyRose

I have been looking at these too. Seen them on Ebay, and a few other places. I am curious about them and would love to know if they are worth it. I was bidding on one today.

LOL! The ebay one is the one I'm talking about ^_^

The seller is only showing pics of 'her' last trip. Not pics of the cert.

That is why I was wandering...

I am also curious about those, when your on the ebay home page is there something specific you type in to bid on something like that. Thanks alot.:)

I just typed in 'Royal caribbean' and was looking at all the neat stuff when I came across the gift cert.

Have you been bidding against...LOL?

I just typed in Royal Caribbean and went through all the pages. I also found someone selling a $500 and the bid was at $350 something so far. I am wondering what the deal is, do you have to make the reservation with a particular travel agency? Is there something like a timeshare speal you have to listen to? Are there travel restrictions?

I wouldn't mind doing this at all, if I knew it was for real. Might just have to bite the bullet and win and see.

Have you been bidding against...LOL?

I just typed in Royal Caribbean and went through all the pages. I also found someone selling a $500 and the bid was at $350 something so far. I am wondering what the deal is, do you have to make the reservation with a particular travel agency? Is there something like a timeshare speal you have to listen to? Are there travel restrictions?

I wouldn't mind doing this at all, if I knew it was for real. Might just have to bite the bullet and win and see.

LOL! Nope, haven't bid...yet :D

I wanted to check to see if the gift cert was real 1st.

The 500.00 gift cert looks real. I don't know why someone would be tring to sell it though.

I believe that you can't use a TA when you use one of the gift certs though (got to go right through RCI).

Also can't be used for already paid cruises or OBC.

May I suggest...

Ask the seller all your questions. When you receive an answer, save it or copy it. Pay for it with Paypal. Paypal has a buyer protection plan. If it's fake, you will get your money back.

I am a seller on ebay, and this is what I would do to protect my money.

May I suggest...

Ask the seller all your questions. When you receive an answer, save it or copy it. Pay for it with Paypal. Paypal has a buyer protection plan. If it's fake, you will get your money back.

Thanks Jandjfun ^_^

Great idea!

Here are the answers I got from the seller of this certificate. Now I am thinking I should have asked if it clearly states that the certificate is transferable. Sometimes when people buy a new car these certificates are given as an incentive. I just don't know if that's the case with this one. Good luck to all that bid!

"HI,

No expiration date. It does have to be booked through the issuing travel agency. It will work for rccl ship.

Thanks

- cruisesavings"

um............I hate to throw cold water on your excitement, but have you asked exactly what the agency calls "the cruise fare" for the first passenger, which you would have to pay in a "two for one" deal?

If you MUST book through a certain agency - which is what I think I am reading here - they could well be calling the "brochure" price the "cruisefare."

NO ONE pays "brochure price". It's, ahem, about twice the real price that cabins are actually sold for.

Brochure price means the price that RC prints in its catalogues months and months and months before cruises are sold and people sail.

Caveat emptor - if it sounds too good to be true, it almost always is.

And this is a seller with NO feedback. NOTHING.

Do as you wish..............I wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot SeaPass. :rolleyes:

P.S. She has six of these on ebay right now............for six different cruise lines.

Warning, Will Robinson! Danger! Danger! Danger!

Here are the answers I got from the seller of this certificate. Now I am thinking I should have asked if it clearly states that the certificate is transferable. Sometimes when people buy a new car these certificates are given as an incentive. I just don't know if that's the case with this one. Good luck to all that bid!

"HI,

No expiration date. It does have to be booked through the issuing travel agency. It will work for rccl ship.

Thanks

- cruisesavings"

This seller does not have any feedback and just registered as an ebay seller 2/1/08. There isn't any picture of the certificate and if you check out their other auctions they have several more certificates for sale..........for the other major cruise lines.

The travel agent you have to book through is not mentioned and in the "fees" you have to pay non-commissionable fees on you "free" certificate.

Check out this link to ebay's policy regarding selling of travel certificates. Click on the section that shows examples of what can and can't be sold.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/travel.html

Lot's of red flags here...............

This seller does not have any feedback and just registered as an ebay seller 2/1/08. There isn't any picture of the certificate and if you check out their other auctions they have several more certificates for sale..........for the other major cruise lines.

The travel agent you have to book through is not mentioned and in the "fees" you have to pay non-commissionable fees on you "free" certificate.

Check out this link to ebay's policy regarding selling of travel certificates. Click on the section that shows examples of what can and can't be sold.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/travel.html

Lot's of red flags here...............

I didn't bid ^_^

As I said in an earlier post, she didn't have any pics of this '2-1 gift cert'. Only pics from 'her' last cruise.

I didn't think it was on the up and up and I'm glad others agreed with me ^_^

This person has several more certificates on ebay again. I am going to say this person is a she just for typing purposes.

She says she is a contractor for a travel agency.

and she says

1. my agencies pricing runs close to what is on the cruise line website.

2. non-commissionable fees are micsellanous fees that include things like, shore power, piloting and ground labor. That varies depending on your cruise.

So your guess is as good as mine. But my curiousity was more than I can stand, so I bid on one. I figure 10-15 dollars would be worth losing just to see how this plays out.

Actually if you look at her listing she worded it wrong so you would have an out with ebay if the cert was useless.

Heres what she wrote:

Use on cruises 5 nights or longer. Airfare is not included. Additional costs included: port charges, government taxes, non-commissionable fees, and gratuities. When making your reservation you will need to put down a deposit to hold your booking. The deposit is refundable. Guests must be 21 old or older to travel. If a guest is under 21 they must be accompanied by a parent, relative, or guardian 25 years old or older.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. I am a contractor with the agency these are through.

If you see where I underlined it says addition costs included and then lists p fees, taxes, NC fees, and gratuities so that implies that those fees are included in the certificate. What she should have wrote was Additional costs are: or Additional costs include:;)

May I suggest...

the buyer protection plan doesn't always cover 100%. Most of the time only $200

um............I hate to throw cold water on your excitement, but have you asked exactly what the agency calls "the cruise fare" for the first passenger, which you would have to pay in a "two for one" deal?

If you MUST book through a certain agency - which is what I think I am reading here - they could well be calling the "brochure" price the "cruisefare."

NO ONE pays "brochure price". It's, ahem, about twice the real price that cabins are actually sold for.

Brochure price means the price that RC prints in its catalogues months and months and months before cruises are sold and people sail.

Caveat emptor - if it sounds too good to be true, it almost always is.

And this is a seller with NO feedback. NOTHING.

Do as you wish..............I wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot SeaPass. :rolleyes:

P.S. She has six of these on ebay right now............for six different cruise lines.

Warning, Will Robinson! Danger! Danger! Danger!

I used to say never buy from a no feedback seller...I still say that unless that zero feedback seller has something backed by press releases etc...(i.e. the Horns sale, that seller was set up by a company who specializes in that kind of work, just to sell the horns. That was ultimately a safe buy...)

Seller probably doesn't even know all the issues with the cert and is just trying to make some money off it since they don't want to cruise, or could it be then know that it is brochure price and if they can get with a group they can actually get 2 fares for a better price. :D

Since seller claims they are essentially an agent of the agency, I'd bet RCCL does not allow a TA to sell 2-for1 or 1/2 off certificates requiring use of their agency.

I doubt that its a true two for one certificate. If you read the listing it says buy one ticket and get the second free....well if you pay for one in a cabin than the price is generally anywhere from 125%-200% so it probably only saves you a few dollars on the 2nd passenger at best. What is especially odd is that the seller does not show a picture of the certificate which only adds to the bogus factor. You are also probably right about RCI not allowing an agent to sell such a certificate.

I doubt that its a true two for one certificate. If you read the listing it says buy one ticket and get the second free....well if you pay for one in a cabin than the price is generally anywhere from 125%-200% so it probably only saves you a few dollars on the 2nd passenger at best. What is especially odd is that the seller does not show a picture of the certificate which only adds to the bogus factor. You are also probably right about RCI not allowing an agent to sell such a certificate.

I agree the intent of the wording could be as you are calculating it...

being in Central time zone it is closer to brain off for the night time...assuming you are in BC you are probably more awake and are doing a great job of taking literally the wording...which other than the extra "D" before the list of things each pax would pay...:D

Poor person who bought it may be in for a shock. Seller being a first sale wonder on Ebay may think that they will grab money and run. If they really are an agent, RCCL would probably cut them off if they ultimately basically steal from the buyer of the certificates. Doubt RCCL wants agents like that selling their cruises.

Why would anybody bid on that?

:confused::confused:

I bid 10.00 on a certificate for NCL. Why? Because I too, saw the misworded auction discription, I can afford to lose 15.00 (with shipping) just to mess with this person! I have already turned them into ebay for several things. And I have every intention of reporting them to the cruise lines as well. PLUS, no doubt, I want to see how it plays out with trying to book a cruise.

I have printed out the auction page, every email I have received from and sent to her, and the ebay listing guidelines that she has violated. I don't feel suckered at all. I 99.9 percent know that this is bull pucky, but I don't want to leave it at just that. I want the free second ticket or I want this crap off of ebay.

I will let you know how it plays out. This will be interesting.

I bid 10.00 on a certificate for NCL. Why? Because I too, saw the misworded auction discription, I can afford to lose 15.00 (with shipping) just to mess with this person! I have already turned them into ebay for several things. And I have every intention of reporting them to the cruise lines as well. PLUS, no doubt, I want to see how it plays out with trying to book a cruise.

I have printed out the auction page, every email I have received from and sent to her, and the ebay listing guidelines that she has violated. I don't feel suckered at all. I 99.9 percent know that this is bull pucky, but I don't want to leave it at just that. I want the free second ticket or I want this crap off of ebay.

I will let you know how it plays out. This will be interesting.

Email her and invite her to this thread, tell her many people would like to hear her "story" about the items she sell on ebay. If she is a honest seller she would come her and tell

Archived