Demographics

biksgirl

I'll start off by saying I'm new here, so not sure if this is an ok topic here...don't really know how sensitive people are about this stuff, so admins, if it's not cool...feel free to delete as I don't want to offend anyone.

I'm curious as to the demographics of the passangers on most of Carnival cruises. I know that the crew are from all over the world, but I'd love to know about the passangers. Are the majority American? What cultural backgrounds are most people? What's the majority age group.

my background: Never been on a Carnival cruise, Born and raised in Canada, with East Indian parents..36 years old (tomorrow :) )

I find that on RCL there are more pax from around the world than on Carnival. We had almost 100 countries on Voyager, fewer on Conquest. I think its about perception. If people are going to fly across from Europe (we sat with a family who paid over $3K per person to do a inside cabin!!! and flew from Ireland yikes).

Probably more expensive, longer cruises, even on Carnival, attract people from further away. The short cruises are mostly locals.

Going on my 2nd cruise in about 3 weeks...white, American, female...almost 30. This will be my first time on Carnival but we went on Disney last year and there were alot of different cultures on board..it was really neat seeing all the different people and lots of different dress. I am sure, since Disney has only 2 ships for now, that Disney always has alot of customers from all over the world!

According to Carnival's statistics, the age group is as about as follows:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Carnival_Facts.aspx

30% are under age 35

40% are between 35-55

30% are over 55

70% are over 35.....

My experience with Carnival (66 Carnival cruises) is that the passengers run the gamut economically, from those who cruise only occasionally to those who cruise several times a year and are from all economic strata.

I find most are Americans but have sailed with people from many other places, too.

The shorter cruises of 3/4 days seem to draw a younger crowd.

Let's say you're from the GTA (I'm from Brampton, my high school was about 60% East Indian) you'll find the ship a little less diverse (rather more caucasian) than at home. Where I live now though (Woodstock) makes the ship look very diverse.

If that's the gist of what you're asking. I don't mean to be presumptuous though, and I apologize if I didn't come across the way I meant to!

Thanks Megnolia :) It so happens I am from the GTA (live in Oakville) and we've also lived in Manhattan, so I'm so used to diversity...but it won't really bother me if we're the only non-American, non-white people on board...I was just curious (more for my parents sake who are going with us) and you did understand me ;)

FYI: we'll be on the Dream, leaving from Port Canaveral.

Oh don't worry, you certainly won't be the only non-American or non-white family!

There were 1000 Canadians on each of my last three sailings! And the passengers definitely represent quite a lot of different cultural groups - just not as many as you would see at home, knowing where you live.

the Dream will be wonderful! I can't wait to sail her.

And by the way, happy birthday!

When we sailed on the Carnival Spirit out of San Diego there were a lot of Californians. It makes sense. When we sailed in Hawaii people were from everywhere. I think the passengers were pretty much older than younger. We didn't see many Hawaiians except for the crew. The thing I like about Carnival is you see all kinds of people. Some old, some young. Some rich, some not so rich. Some skinny, and some not so skinny. Some American, some not American. We fit in just fine. 50 year olds from Idaho!

Wiz

I'll start off by saying I'm new here, so not sure if this is an ok topic here...don't really know how sensitive people are about this stuff, so admins, if it's not cool...feel free to delete as I don't want to offend anyone.

I'm curious as to the demographics of the passangers on most of Carnival cruises. I know that the crew are from all over the world, but I'd love to know about the passangers. Are the majority American? What cultural backgrounds are most people? What's the majority age group.

my background: Never been on a Carnival cruise, Born and raised in Canada, with East Indian parents..36 years old (tomorrow :) )

Since no one else said it, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I just took my very first cruise ever, on Carnival Legend two weeks ago. I was truly amazed at the diversification of the passengers, in all respects. Ages ran the gamut from babies/toddlers to the very elderly. I saw disabled people of all kinds. I saw black/white/various nationalities, even saw some "little people" .... it was fabulous. I was so impressed.

Right now I don't think I'd cruise with any line other than Carnival. I love a real microcosm of our world. I'd hate to cruise on a line where the vast majority were elderly, or young partiers or whatever.

This cruise line's for ME. EVERYONE looked like they were having a blast!!!

Right now I don't think I'd cruise with any line other than Carnival. I love a real microcosm of our world. I'd hate to cruise on a line where the vast majority were elderly, or young partiers or whatever.

This cruise line's for ME. EVERYONE looked like they were having a blast!!!

Just so you know this is not inclusive to just Carnival......most mass market cruiselines have a wide diversity onboard.......

we went on Disney last year and there were alot of different cultures on board..it was really neat seeing all the different people and lots of different dress.

....Did you notice they had strange names also? Like Pluto, Winnie, Dumbo, Tigger,.....

i'm sorry, i couldn't help myself....

Thanks Megnolia :) It so happens I am from the GTA (live in Oakville) and we've also lived in Manhattan, so I'm so used to diversity...but it won't really bother me if we're the only non-American, non-white people on board...I was just curious (more for my parents sake who are going with us) and you did understand me ;)

FYI: we'll be on the Dream, leaving from Port Canaveral.

Don't forget to check out the Roll Call for your cruise. It is a great way to meet folks before you even get on the ship.

You did not say which Dream cruise....but if it happens to be Dec 3rd...we have a HUGE roll call here... come join us!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=548

Biksgirl and Megnolia

I am a Brampton Boy here and just came off the Carnival Liberty on the 22nd. We found this to be one of the most diverse ships in terms of demographics that we have ever seen.

Granted the majority were from the United States, but there were large groups of people from Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, Great Britain, Australia, South Africa, Argentina. It seemed to be a very international mix. This ship left from Miami so that may have something to do with it as well - ships leaving from other areas may not be as diverse.

The Canadian contingent seemed to be primarily from Vancouver, Montreal and the East Coast. There was a large family group of about 20 from Vancouver of East Indian descent. The elderly parents were dressed traditionally during the day...but on formal nights all of the women were dressed in saris and they looked spectacular. I loved it as it made me feel right at home....and I am Caucasian.

Don't stress...you will have a great time. Cheers

[quote name=biksgirl;

my background: Never been on a Carnival cruise' date=' Born and raised in Canada, with East Indian parents..36 years old (tomorrow :) )[/quote]

My background: Been on one 4-day Carnival cruise back in 1993 (honestly don't remember much at all except that the cabin was really small!) Also born and raised in Canada, with East Indian parents . . .39 years old next week. I am sailing on the Carnival Splendor in 12 days.:D

Here is a recent list from John Healds blog:

Carnival Freedom mid August

TOTAL GUEST COUNT – 3589

Antigua and Barbuda 5

Argentina 2

Aruba

Australia 10

Austria

Bahamas 190

Barbados

Belarus

Belgium 2

Belize 1

Bermuda 13

Bolivia

Botswana

Brazil 1

Bulgaria

Canada 259

Cayman 17

Chile 1

China 5

Colombia 8

Costa Rica

Croazia

Cuba 4

Czech Republic

Denmark

Dominica

Dominican Republic 2

Ecuador 3

Egypt

El Salvador

Estonia

Finland

France 58

French Guyana

Georgia

Germany 24

Ghana 1

Greece

Grenada

Guyana 2

Guatemala

Haiti 1

Honduras

Hungary 3

Iceland

India 1

Indonesia

Iran

Iraq

Ireland 2

Israel 9

Italy 33

Jamaica 6

Japan 5

Jordan

Kenya

Korea

Laos

Latvia

Lebanon

Lithuania

Macedonia

Madagascar

Malaysia

Malta

Mexico 6

Moldova

Mongolia

Montenegro

Morocco

Myanmar

Nepal

Netherlands 9

Netherlands Ant 6

New Zealand

Nicaragua

Nigeria

Norway

Pakistan

Panama

Peru 1

Philippines 7

Poland 8

Portugal 1

Puerto Rico

Romania

Russia 8

Samoa

Saint Kitts

Saint Lucia 1

Saint Vincent 1

Saudi Arabia

Singapore

Slovakia

Slovenia

South Africa 2

Salvador

Spain 6

Suriname

Sweden

Switzerland

Syrian Arab Rep 1

Taiwan

Thailand

Trinidad & Tobago 6

Turkey 4

Ukraine 2

United Kingdom 44

Uruguay 1

Venezuela 24

Vietnam

Virgin Islands 3

TOTAL PASSENGERS 807

Under 2 Years 17

2-5 Years 58

6-8 Years 107

9-11 Years 137

12-14 Years 191

15-17 Years 218

18-20 Years 152

Let's say you're from the GTA (I'm from Brampton, my high school was about 60% East Indian) you'll find the ship a little less diverse (rather more caucasian) than at home. Where I live now though (Woodstock) makes the ship look very diverse.

I am from B-town too and I agree. Diversity is subjective.

My wife and I have sailed on Carnival three times and I would have to say we have sailed with so many different types of people. Ages I would say vary from cruise to cruise, but I would guess that the average age might be 35 - 45. There are a lot of passagers that are younger than the and older than that. We have met people from all kinds of different places. The majority are probably from the U.S. and Canada. Our last cruise I met more people from Canada than from the U.S., but the other two cruises were the opposite. The only couple we still stay in contact with was from our second cruise and they were from Canada. Some of the best times we have had a breafast is when we have been sitting with passagers that are much older than us. There is a wide mix of people on the ships and everyone for the most part are a lot of fun to be around. I think that is one of the reasons that we love sailing on Carnival and also why we worry about sailing on any other cruise line. The people both crew and passagers are part of what make Carnival a great vacation for us.

Archived