Dinner at Captains table.

italian girl

So, here is a real life scenario and of course we all live in real life.

We all heard of the Make-A-Wish Foundation for kids I am assuming?

Let us say a man has a wife stricken with a grave disease and they have been on many cruises over the years. She is getting worse off as the days go by.

Can he not ask to cruise line to dine with the Captain and his wife if this is her last wish?

Still bad manners and bad taste. I highly doubt it.

we are elite and always ask our ta to request to dine at the captains table. i also wear a cruise critic shirt and pin and always say hello to the captains hostess. we always cruise as least expense as possible...inside cabin is fine as far as i am concerned. i have have been invited the last several cruises. larry

CruisingEasy, I think in that situation, it would be wrong of the man not to ask!

Certainly, he should do so politely and quietly, without making a big fuss or demanding anything. But I can't see how it would be in bad taste to make what is, after all, a relatively easy request for the hostess to fulfill.

Obviously a "Make a Wish" situation is an exceptional occurence. I agree that just being compatible, interesting and pleasant is the best way to be invited. Many of the invitations come from corporate before the cruise begins. After these and the Captain's picks there may be a few spots left, depending on the cruise. I agree that it's not something one asks for.

So, here is a real life scenario and of course we all live in real life.

We all heard of the Make-A-Wish Foundation for kids I am assuming?

Let us say a man has a wife stricken with a grave disease and they have been on many cruises over the years. She is getting worse off as the days go by.

Can he not ask to cruise line to dine with the Captain and his wife if this is her last wish?

Still bad manners and bad taste. I highly doubt it.

CruisingEasy,

In this situation of course it would not be bad manners or bad taste. I know someone who has had occasion to use the services of Make-a-Wish, not for a spouse, but for a child. There are always situations which are outside the norm; this is not the case in the OP's post unless I missed something. I did not intend to offend anyone, just stating my opinion, no one elses.

we are elite and always ask our ta to request to dine at the captains table. i also wear a cruise critic shirt and pin and always say hello to the captains hostess. we always cruise as least expense as possible...inside cabin is fine as far as i am concerned. i have have been invited the last several cruises. larry

Are you invited because they truly want you to be invited or because you ask to be invited? We're Elite as well and would never be so bold as to request an invitation. Then is it really an invitation?

Patty

In reading posts on this subject over the years I've come to the conclusion that there is no real criteria to be met to be invited to the Captain's table. Like Kelmac we were invited on our very first cruise and we were in an inside cabin. We were invited by what was then called the "social hostess" I believe. I actually asked her a few days later why we were chosen and she said that she had noticed us at check-in and we seemed very outgoing and genuinely exicted to be going on the cruise. So just be yourself and see what happens. The one thing I would never do is ask to be invited - bad manners and bad taste, IMHO.

I hope you have a wonderful, memorable cruise, Captain's table or not.:D

Susan

We're in 100% agreement with you, Susan.

We have been invited 4 times.

We have NEVER asked.

We NEVER would either.

In fact, I still do not know HOW/WHY we were invited.

We were invited on our very first cruise.

Another time, at our MDR table, someone came up

and, ASKED us if we would like to join the Captains

table for dinner (in two days). Of course we

would, and, she included the 6 of us at our table.

One gentleman was a U.S.A.F. General, that was part of our party.

Maybe that had something to do with it that time.

It is nice to be asked, but, I must also say that

if you look at our past cruises, all invitations have only

been on CELEBRITY. We have NEVER been asked on R.C.C.L.

Also, we have been sent invitations to

have a bridge tour, gally tours, behind the stage tours,

only on CELEBRITY, NEVER have we asked.

So far with R.C.C.L. they have never asked us

to join anything :confused:. We've never understood that.

But, our next cruise is in 2 weeks on CELEBRITY.

We are ELITE cruisers now, but, cruise status, cabin, Cruise Critic

have nothing to do with it. I think they enjoy outgoing

people. That is the only thing we can think of.

I am even a R.C.C.L. stock holder and, that has never

gotten anything (except, OBC and, discounts for our cruise prices).

And, B-T-W..we have never had dinner with the Captain.

My/our most favorite officer was a very pretty young lady from

Kansas City..heartland of America....she was the Human Resources Officer.

WOW..she had us in stitches with her stories of crew

employees...

Wow,

thank you everyone for your stories (and Lois_R for directions) :) I think I will try to collect my courage together and ask for this. This is going to be our first - and also honeymoon - cruise... and I think it will blow my DW away ;) So... why not :)

on our last cruise to Alaska on the Mercury. It was the Captain Club hostess that invited us. We were mid-range Captains Club members (Select?) and my only interaction with the hostess was to address that our coupons were never delivered. A day later we had our coupons and an invite to the captains table. It was an awesome experience! :D

2 Days later, we were also invited for a navigation tour.:)

The good luck fairies were smiling on us!;)

Note, we had only 6 Celebrity cruise credits (2-7 day and 2-14 day cruises) and were staying in a standard veranda. Not high rollers by any stretch!

• 1 month later...

We returned last week from a 9/26/09 Equinox cruise. We are Elite members. We were once again invited to dinner at the Captains Table. Along with a nice photo they gave us, they also listed the cabin numbers of all guests with us. Of the 5 couples, 2 had Sunset veranda cabins, One a 1A balcony, one an Inside cabin, and one an Aqua class cabin. No one had a suite. All were Elite members.

My husband and I are counting down the days until our Oct 31 Summit Cruise. Want to know how does someone get invited to the captains table for dinner.

One has to be in a suite or an Elite class member. We got invited to the Capt's Table on our first sailing. We were in a suite. We got lucky or they want our future business. ;)

One has to be in a suite or an Elite class member. We got invited to the Capt's Table on our first sailing. We were in a suite. We got lucky or they want our future business. ;)

I disagree with the statement that one has to be in a suite or an Elite class member. We have been invited once on RCCL (1st RCCL cruise, inside cabin) and three times on Celebrity (2nd Celebrity cruise, standard veranda; 3rd Celebrity cruise, standard veranda; 4th Celebrity cruise, Royal Suite) On our 2nd cruise, we were traveling with 2 couples and all 6 of us received the invitation (the other 2 couples were 1st time Celebrity cruisers).

We recently booked our 5th Celebrity cruise and just gained Elite status. I have no idea how a couple is chosen to dine with a member of the staff, but it is certainly an enjoyable experience.

I think mostly it's just luck of the draw.

The time we were invited was a cruise were we had booked a cheap inside room, so it wasn't our category.

It was only our 2nd RCL cruise, so it wasn't due to our RCL loyalty at the time.

We never asked or even talked to anyone on the crew prior to the invite.

Our table that night was a mixture, and we all discussed how we all got picked, and no one had any idea.

It was cool that we had been to Norway the prior year, so we had plenty to talk to the captain about.

It was a great experience. The next day we got a private tour of the bridge by the captain, and they gave us a souvenir group picture.

As far as I know, on Celebrity, the Captains Club Hostess picks you from a list of Elite and maybe Select cruisers. Except for the first Formal night, (where she blindly has to pick someone) she looks for people who will make up a good table with compatible guests.

Hi,:) I have to disagree with your statement. I was invited long before

I got to Elite Status and I have never booked a suite. So one does

not have to be in either category to receive an invitation.

We have had 2 invitations to the Captains Table. On both occasions we were the level below elite and were in either oceanview or verandah cabins, never a suite. No rhyme or reason as to why we were picked. On the 2nd occasion we were invited the following night to the bridge to watch sailaway from Naples.

On our last cruise, our Butler asked how many times we'd sailed with Celebrity (4) and had we ever dined at the Captain's table? When we replyed "no" he offered to speak to the hostess for us and about a day or so later we had an invitatiion (10 day cruise). While we did not have dinner with the Captain, the HR officer was very friendly and we had a great time with the other guests - all who had sailed many more time than we had!

On our last cruise, our Butler asked how many times we'd sailed with Celebrity (4) and had we ever dined at the Captain's table? When we replyed "no" he offered to speak to the hostess for us and about a day or so later we had an invitatiion (10 day cruise). While we did not have dinner with the Captain, the HR officer was very friendly and we had a great time with the other guests - all who had sailed many more time than we had!

Why did you not eat with the Captain? Why was he not there at the table?

Why did you not eat with the Captain? Why was he not there at the table?

Normally, the captain eats at the Captain's Table the first formal night. Other officers dine with guests on the other formal nights.

Indeed even then it cannot be guaranteed the captain will be present as operational issues may require him to be on the bridge - for example weather conditions or exceptionally busy shipping traffic. In these circumstances the Hotel Director will host that evening as well as the formal evening they are scheduled to host.

Archived